Travel Thread

Sure, I’ll help where I can. I’m out in the burbs with a young family and don’t get to explore the city so much these days, but often I hear of good joints.

1 Like

Had to check with my better half because my brain doesn’t work like it used to, but apparently we went in 2014 or thereabouts and if there were smoking laws they were definitely observed in the breach. If they have cracked down since, good on them but my google surfing suggests the national laws are being blocked by a powerful tobacco lobby, ring a bell?, and even Beijing, were the laws are toughest, does very little to enforce the law, which was definitely my experience. The laws may be tougher in hotels but frankly the last place I want to eat when on holiday is a hotel.
The trains were full of smokers stealing a dart in the viewing areas between carriages which ■■■■■■ me off because it was the only place I could get a decent view of the countryside.
Hope it’s better now but it was seriously shithouse in 2014. Mind you I’m allergic to ciggy smoke so I might be overly sensitive

http://www.bjreview.com/Nation/201806/t20180628_800133899.html

If that was a problem in 2014 they have definitely improved now. I only got a couple of exposures to passive smoke walking around the streets on my latest visit.

Seasoned veterans to China so more than happy to offer any advice if you want.
We don’t like tours so tend to book everything ourselves and just book day tours through the hotels. Trains are your friend in China as the airlines can be fairly unreliable due to congestion and delays. You also see some excellent scenery and most stations are in the heart of the City compared to airports which can be out some distance. I prefer to carry my passport at all times as on occasions we have been stopped for a spot check. Beijing is far better than Shanghai IMO and don’t do like most tourists and head straight for the Teracotta Warriors from Xi’an. The city is worth a few days on its on and I’d recommend cycling around the old city walls.
If you have time definitely do a Yangtze River cruise and visit Guilin for some of the best scenery in China. There is far too much to do on one trip so try and concentrate on a couple of places. We have been close to a dozen times and still have barely scratched the surface. We hopefully are heading back in June/July next year

5 Likes

If possible we try to be in Bangkok over the weekend so we can go to the Chatuchak weekend markets. Over 17,000 stalls set across a decent area. Lots of crap like most markets but plenty of good gifts, souvenirs and cheap clothing. The street food there is simply amazing and very cheap but the best part is it’s one of the few markets in Asia where you don’t get hassled. We spent about 3 hours there and wouldn’t have got through 1/2 of the rows.

Had a 2 hour massage and my customary barber shop shave and have headed back via Tuk Tuk to the hotel. Free alcohol and snacks from 12-6pm on the 52nd floor with some pretty good views.

FFS.
:slight_smile: This thread when you have a holiday booked
:slight_smile: this thread when you’re on holiday
:slight_smile: this thread when you just got back
:confused: this thread when you have to go to work tomorrow
:frowning: this thread when you wish you were traveling again

9 Likes

Xian is a must. Hongzhou and Guilin also recommended

2 Likes

To visit the Great Wall don’t go to Ba DaLing - too touristy.
Instead go to Mutianyu which is about 70kms from Beijing. It’s more authentic, less crowded and more spectacular.

2 Likes

Any ever travelled to Iran?

If you have time and patience go to the Jiankou section. I loved Mutianyu but most of it isn’t original just like Badaling.
Jiankou is untouched and traverses some brilliant scenery. If you like hiking it’s also pretty decent. No facilities out there at all so take your own water and snacks but you will have the place mostly to yourself

My photos linked to above was Mutianyu. As can be seen, we had it largely to ourselves.

I was in Qui Nhon for work last week - think it’s the same place you’re talking about. About a 1/3 of the way up. I can recommend a very good local seafood restaurant that my local colleagues took me too - otherwise not a whole lot to report.

I first went to Vietnam in 2007. HCMC is hardly recognisable now from how it looked then. So much development has gone on. Food has changed from local street stalls to heaps of quality restaurants.

1 Like

German band playing behind chicken wire in the English Garden. Reminded me of that Blues Brothers scene. They were wearing lederhosen so Cowhide would have been appropriate.

I’ll say it again German beer gardens are superb. Another glorious sunny day. Huge number of tables with a friendly mix of young and old, families, and solo farts like me.

1 Like

nup - weather was too nice to spend indoors. One day if I return I’ll have to check out the museums. Did pop into a few of the main churches. While I’ve seen plenty, their grandeur still leaves one wondering.

And for dinner it was Baked Zucchini Blossoms in japanese Tempura dough, filled with vegetable-ricotta-cheese-cream. With field salad and cherry tomatoes. It was good. Salsa was tasty.

And a raspberry cake (I think- lost in translation) with an espresso to finish.

2 Likes

Used to go there a few times a year on business when the Shah ruled supreme.

I loved the place, the people and the food. Tehran had some great sites, Shiraz has a fabulous garden and outside of Tehran are some nice ski-fields.

Have not been back since the Shah got what he deserved, but have friends who stayed who reckon life now is very good again after some dark years, and we are planning a visit next year.

Friends of mine visiting Toyko sent me this photo. Is it really the Golden Turd ?

1 Like

It is Asahi HQ:

Thanks

Looks even more like a turd from that angle. Reckon it would look really good on a Carlscum jumper, maybe Ashai could sponsor them.

Cheers.
Im not looking for anything in the party mold.
Actually, the quieter the better.