Travel Thread

Correct. You can get a 72 or 144 hour visa but can’t leave the Shanghai area. Very easy in that case, just inform the flight attendant when boarding and they will give you the necessary card to fill out.

In Byron Bay for a week. Look forward to relaxing a bit

Thanks for the postcard. :grin:

p.s. Don’t forget. Stone & Wood on tap at the Great Northern Hotel. :beers: Enjoy.

not a great travel story - I love travelling but having to deal with fellow travellers makes it challenging.

Delta Passenger Forced to Sit in Seat Covered With Feces or Miss the Flight

By Jason Murdock On 11/6/18 at 9:30 AM

A Delta Air Lines passenger flying from Atlanta to Miami on November 1 was allegedly told that he could either sit in a seat that was covered with feces or be left behind.

Matthew Meehan, of Michigan, said that after boarding the Delta flight he quickly discovered not only a bad smell—but feces on the seat, floor and wall of the plane. After sitting in the mess, he said the crew gave him two paper towels and a bottle of gin to wipe it off him in the lavatory.

The passenger told Yahoo Lifestyle that when he emerged from the bathroom—expecting the seat to be disinfected—the flight was still boarding as normal. He said he was told: “That’s not our responsibility, someone from the gate needs to take care of that. We are in the middle of an active boarding. We’re busy. If you want, you can get off the plane and talk to somebody.”

Meehan said he spoke to a manager. “She said, ‘If the cleaning crew didn’t do their job, that’s not my problem,” Meehan told Yahoo Lifestyle. “So I said, ‘Can we get that cleaned up so I can sit down?’ [and] she says, ‘Sir, it’s almost time for that plane to leave. You can sit in your seat or you can be left behind.’” Meehan told ABC Action News he was forced to remain seated and place a blanket over the mess.

feces on plane
Matthew Meehan, of Michigan, said after boarding the Delta flight that he quickly discovered not only a bad smell—but feces on the seat, floor and wall of the plane. The airline apologized for the incident. Matthew Meehan/Facebook

After landing, the passenger published photos of his feces-covered shoes on Facebook and hit out at the airline. The post has since racked up hundreds of comments and shares.

“Is this even legal?” he wrote. “This is a health code violation! Delta was made aware of the feces from the prior flight before my flight boarded and no one checked to see if it was clean, I was allowed to board unknowingly and sat in it covering myself in sickness and disease. No apology, no care, and was told to deal with it by Atlanta Red Coat. I’m shaking. I’m disgusted.”

In a statement, a Delta Air Lines spokesperson apologized. The statement read:

“On Nov 1, an aircraft operating flight 1949 from Atlanta to Miami was boarded before cleaning was completed following an incident from a previous flight with an ill service animal."

It continued: “Delta apologizes to customers impacted by the incident and has reached out to make it right, offering a refund and additional compensation. The safety and health of our customers and employees is our top priority, and we are conducting a full investigation while following up with the right teams to prevent this from happening again. Upon landing in Miami, the aircraft was taken out of service to be deep cleaned and disinfected.”

Meehan said he was offered 50,000 miles in compensation, but may take legal action instead.

“I’m a diamond medallion and a million miler,” he told Yahoo Lifestyle. “If this is how they treat their top tier, I can’t imagine how they treat people who aren’t part of the SkyMiles program.”

Actually just walked past there. Will have to pop in and have a drink

Depends how long you will be staying in China. They used to have 72h visa-free entry. On this trip, I noticed a sign in PEK saying 144 hour visa free. So if you are staying less than that, save your $$$ of getting a rapid visa.

BTW does anyone know why you need 6 months validity on your passport? What’s the point of an expiry date then?

In case something happens that prevents you from coming home as intended. An injury or illness for example prevents you from flying out for a month or so, without the 6 month leeway people could inadvertently have their passport expire and they would then not be able to board any aircraft.
I do think 6 months is excessive though

Yes, Shanghai does have the 144 hour TWOV option. To obtain it though you must be travelling to a 3rd country.

■■■■ Delta, ■■■■ them

Lol “Ill service animal”? Don’t the yanks just take their pets everywhere and claim they’re service animals? Someone’s pet obviously just shat it brains out and the feral owner was too much of a lazy ■■■■ to clean it up.

There are two “types” of animals that many US airlines allow on board.
A service animal is one such as a guide dog which I don’t have an issue with.
The other type is what’s known as an “emotional support animal”. People can get letters from their doctors or psychologist that allows them to take pets on board, some like Delta are quite lax on their laws and allow pets onboard without much paperwork. I’m not fine with that and there are hundreds of reports per year of animals urinating or pooping on board and even some dogs attacking other passengers. I have blackbanned these airlines as I can’t stand pets and I would go bezerk if I boarded a plane and had an animal in close proximity

I was on a flight from Rio to NYC ( 10 hours), a passenger in next row had a small dog, no carrier.
I was less concerned about the hens in pens in the overhead lockers on an Aeroflot trip across Siberia.

Two weeks till two months in Japan!

Sitting here in my accommodation in Dobutsuen-mae, Osaka listening to the strains of a thousand cats being strangled to death (i.e. karaoke).
It may be a local custom and fun to try and all, but fark it’s horrendous to listen to. Especially when you’re ttying to settle a 5 year-old.

Thank fark it stops at about 10.30. Well, it did last night anyway… tonight we’ll see.

Travel tip in Japan - pack your earplugs! Double-glazing seems to be non-existent and walls are often paper-thin. Oh, and make sure your accommodation doesn’t sit above a strip of karaoke bars…

Oh no! There’s a really interesting red light strip nearby there, with a really old building that was once a brothel but now is an upscale izakaya, and a street filled with pretty young things on display in shopfronts with their pimp mummas sitting alongside.

I’m doing some light packing. Deciding which membership scarf to take…

Should be a poll.

This whole area just seems to be a never-ending labyrinth of covered malls with izakaya after izakaya. With the odd shiny pokies-hall thrown for good measure.
It seems seedy on first impression but it’s actually quite harmless. Not sure I’d want to venture too far off the beaten track though…

Yeah the Shinsekai area there is quite interesting and feels slightly edgy, but it’s all relatively safe, just a bit downtrodden in parts. Has some character to it.

■■■■■■■