Travel Thread

Now in Hoi An, on the way from Hue caught up with @Alan_Noonan_10 for a game of checkers

8 Likes

What’s there to do in warrnambool apart from learning how to spell it @Alan_Noonan_10 ? Want to visit a dairy farmer in timboon so might stay in warrnambool overnight

4 Likes

Buggered if I know
I hardly ever go in there at night.

Pickled Pig in Liebig St is supposed to be a good feed.

Hit up green bamboo for a great cooking class in Hoi An.

It’s become a bit aussified over the years but still a gem of a place.

Do you have kids?

• Flagstaff hill is like sovereign hill but maritime.
  • tower hill is a volcano/lake between Warrnambool and Port fairy. Has lots of wildlife/Emus, a few walks etc.
  • the foreshore is ok for a walk/coffee
  • lake Pertobe has a huge playground(kids)
  • day trip to Port Fairy.

Eating

• Kermonds hamburgers, think old school like Andrews.
  • a proper country pub for a counter meal. No idea which one is good.

Golf - both Warrnambool and Port Fairy get rated in Australia’s best public courses. Port Fairy is very good, links style in the sand dunes but anyone can access.

1 Like

Is the cheese factory still open at Allansford?
They did a ripping Vintage Cheddar and some other specialty cheeses. If we were going the Great Ocean road route to/from Melbourne we always carried some foam esky’s in the boot to fill up with their products. Has been probably 4-5 years though since our last visit

Yep
still there
friend of mine swears by some maple-infused cheddar they do.

Well worth doing

1 Like

Just love Hoi An.

They have a carving of Hurls on display, and so much red and black everywhere.

7 Likes

Turns out Queen is the perfect band to listen to while on the Shinkansen. Who knew?

Off to Miyajima island now.

I dunno what I’m doing wrong in Osaka but the city just doesn’t click with me like Tokyo does.

1 Like

Miyajima is great - packed with tourists though. What’s the tide doing (i.e. will the gate be in or out of the water)?

Have to admit I found that with Osaka too. I put a lot of it down to our choice of accommodation (in a not-so-great area), but a lot of the go-to areas seemed to me almost vaudevillean in their approach. Tacky almost. The Dotomburi area manages to (just) stay on the right side of the line. The area around Tsƫtenkaku not so much

Low tide but spending a couple of nights there so should see it all tide wise.

We were in a high class area in Osaka but I still can’t put my finger in what it is about the place. It’s a bit like Sydney and Melbourne. You tend to like a or b.

People are nice just not sure on the city.

2 Likes

Did you eat some oysters on the walk to the shrine? If you like oysters, I highly recommend Miyajima oysters. They are famous. And there is usually a small joint selling craft beers as well. Enjoy! Great pic. :+1:t2:

1 Like

We have two nights here and I plan to eat nothing but oysters!

2 Likes

Very envious, man.

And a good idea to stay on the island. There is a cool hike up a mountain that will give you superb views of the Seto Inland Sea.

Beware the deer. They will eat those oysters if you aren’t fast enough. :wink:

1 Like

When I was there recently I saw a girl posing with a feisty young buck who decided enough was enough and bit her firmly on the bum. I chortled far more loudly than I should have

4 Likes

BTW, if you’re following the path towards the Momiji Bridge over the river (you’ll know it when you get to it
 packed with people
), rather than going over the bridge follow the little path upstream along the river edge. You only have to go a couple of hundred metres along the path (between the houses and the river) and you’ll find yourself in nice peaceful surrounds with a tiny little waterfall of sorts. It’s quite at odds with the sea of people everywhere else, and was a lovely little spot for a picnic lunch.

2 Likes

Not hanging out with Jez-san. :rofl:

@mrjez

2 Likes

Osaka’s a place to live not really to get jiving with on a visit. It’s a shopper’s paradise and has great food, but you don’t need to come except for as a hub in exploring Kansai.

1 Like