Travel Thread

Curse you Aussie dollar! Go up ya ■■■■■■■!

1 Like

Two weeks with Intrepid:

My info is a decade old but where do I start. India is visually incredible and ■■■■■■ irritating at the same time. A friend mine who has been literally everywhere swore New Delphi was hands down the A hole of the world and I have no reason to disagree. He’s 6’6" and still had to argue with the airport taxi driver and threaten to leave the cab without paying before he was taken to his well known hotel rather than the one paying the driver kickbacks. We were on our guard but locals were trying to scam us from the get go. Old Delhi on the other hand is wonderful, with the unmissable Red Fort Complex and the nearby street markets. Rajasthan and Varanasi were great but it’s pushy everywhere. We hired a driver for Rajasthan which was good except he got peed off when we went to places we’d Sussed out rather than his kickback staples. We spent about 10 days in Nepal and should have spent more. Trekked round Kathmandu Valley and went to the preternaturally beautiful Pokhara. In the top 3 countries I’ve visited. Go veggie for the whole tour, the food is magnificent if you avoid meat!

1 Like

I’ll do some minor trekking within the Kathmandu Valley but apart from a few days at Chitwan National Park the Nepal bit is fairly limited.

Chitwan is great.

OK. Looks like you don’t need much advice then if it’s all organised. Looks like you will miss the highlands though, which is a pity.

What about India? The Taj Mahal is of course the most famous sight in India - get there at dawn if you can. If you are on a tour that may be difficult. Otherwise in India get a private driver, it’s worth it. PM if you would like a recommendation for a driver in either India or SL.

Edit: I just read GRR’s post and agree that going veg is worthwhile. You have two options: “veg” or “non-veg” and the variety of veg dishes is incredible, and each region/city has its own styles.

Any tour run by Intrepid (and probably every tour operator for that matter) will be aiming for dawn.
We did China and also Cambodia with Intrepid and they were always aiming for opening and/or dawn when it came to the touristy spots.
Even in darkness somewhere like Angkor Wat was busy as Bourke St and I’d imagine Taj Mahal will be much the same.

2 more points

• We did a Kathmandu Valley trek with a mob called Wayfarer, who were great but probably don’t exist anymore- 2 nights and 3 days and cheap as chips if you book it there. Socially and visually impressive and believe it or not I shouted our 2 guides their first ever Everest beers and they struggled to make it out of the bar even though they climb mountains for a living, they were both teenagers.
  • If you fly from Kathmandu to Pokhara, and you should if you can, watch out when the Japanese tourists get up first to commandeer the flight seats on the Everest viewing side, no pre seat booking with Yeti Airlines. Do it in daylight if you can, unbloodybelievable flight visually.
    Nepal is a diamond, and not pushy at all. Top of my return list.
2 Likes

Taj Mahal is an elegant eyeful but did I read recently it’s under restoration? No other reason to go to Agra.

If you’re talking this mob, it seems they are still around…
http://www.wayfarers.com.np

Well, their website is anyway…

Yeah, only one more sleep until Santa comes.

1 Like

That’s them, we’ve still got the complimentary t shirts with the same logo. All I can say is they were great 10
Years ago…but then so we’re the Packers.

The Red Fort is worth a visit in Agra

1 Like

Parts of it have been (past tense), but it seems they won’t be applying the mudpack to the main dome until after I’ve been and gone. Definitely something I researched before settling on this trip!

1 Like

You made me get out the photo album and you’re right. Elegant scalloped columns and carefully manicured hedges and the gorgeous Pearl Mosque. We’ve got it labelled as the Agra Fort but it’s definitely red.
The mind might falter but Blitz corrects…sometimes.

That’s a shame. I’d go back to Nepal in a heartbeat. Just been the once - did the Annapurna Sanctuary trek out of Pokhara, which takes you deep into the mountains without the massive altitude gain of the Everest area. Highly recommended.

In Kathmandu, make sure you visit Bhaktapur - a day trip is enough, though I reckon it could make a good alternative base to the usual Thamel area.

We are likely to visit Sri Lanka for the 1st time in about 12 months, so keen to piggyback on any advice.

Hi @Darli

I am very well networked amongst the AFL community up here, and have impeccable sauces.

Have a great Christmas.

:grinning:

4 Likes

3 Likes

Quy Nhon.
Great place, lovely people, amazing food.
Above are just a few pics.
Uncle Ho.
View from hotel.
Dinner with teachers.
Lunch with students.
Lunch with Rector.
So many more great times there. Watched the first Asian cup final with teachers at a local place. The city went crazy after and it was only a draw. (Was in Hanoi for the final, massive night that one)
Top Pub on the beach road followed by beers on the street with the locals behind Uncle Ho’s memorial was a nightly.
It’s great work if you can get it :grin:
Have to go back there, and Dalat in April and then August 2019, then cross my fingers DVET will agree to a new batch.
7 flights in 17 days was a bit of a killer.

4 Likes

You too my friend. Keep your ears open :santa:

1 Like