Travel Thread

Tough question, SB. I am a Beyond the Boundary International member, so I watch every game at home.

In terms of Tokyo & the last I checked, the Legends Sports Bar/Hobgoblin in Roppongi screen AFL games (you will need to check this, though, as I’m not 100%). Roppongi is 5-6 km from Shinjuku. Be careful if you hit up this area alone (read above) at night.

If you have a phone/iPad & net connection, you should be able to buy the game online via the AFL site. This may be the better option.

No idea re: Osaka. @mrjez may be able to help you.

1 Like

In Osaka, it’s always been Coolabah, a small Aussie bar. It looks like it’s still running: www.coolabah.jp . But like JR, I’ve been a home watcher for years so can’t verify. Murphy’s Irish Pub would be the other possibility, both in that Shinsaibashi vicinity.

1 Like

How does this happen? You’d think a gun would be easy enough to spot.

Passenger takes gun on flight from United States to Japan after airport security bungle

37 minutes ago

Posted

Airport security screens passengers.|700x467 Photo: The passenger managed to pass through airport security with a firearm undetected (AP: John Bazemore)

An unsuspecting traveller who forgot a gun was in their carry-on luggage was able to take the firearm on an international flight due to an airport security bungle, the US Transport Security Administration (TSA) has confirmed.

Key points:

• The error occurred because standard procedures were not followed, TSA says
  • Authorities were only alerted to the bungle after the passenger arrived in Japan
  • The Transport Security Administration has rejected suggestions staff shortages were to blame

The passenger boarded a Delta flight from the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport to the Tokyo Narita International Airport in Japan on January 3 when the error occurred, according to CNN.

“TSA has determined standard procedures were not followed and a passenger did in fact pass through a standard screening TSA checkpoint with a firearm,” it said in a statement to the media outlet.

The passenger had forgotten the firearm was in their carry-on luggage, the administration said, and alerted authorities upon their arrival in Japan, which maintains strict gun laws.

It is not known what happened to the gun or if the passenger faced any consequences.

The error comes amid a national shutdown that has seen more than 50,000 airport security screeners required to work despite the agency’s inability to provide regular pay.

However, authorities have been quick to dismiss suggestions staff shortages were to blame for the security lapse.

“The perception that this might have occurred as a result of the partial government shutdown would be false,” the statement said.

It said the national unscheduled absence rate of TSA staff on January 3 was 4.8 per cent compared to 6.3 per cent on the same day last year.

The Transport Safety Administration has moved to assure travellers flying is still safe despite the shutdown.

“Security standards have NOT and will NOT be compromised,” assistant administrator for public affairs Michael Bilello wrote on Twitter.

“TSA has and will continue to maintain security standards at our nation’s airports.”

Thanks MJ & JR.

Was hoping to avoid Roppongi as I won’t get to much time away from the family. I am in Shinjuku for Anzac Day do hoping to find a pub with some expats and a crowd.

Murphy’s is perfect though as my hotel is 200m away.

I know Murphy’s usually show the Grand Final, but you might wanna go down there beforehand and check if they show any weekend games, cos it’s probably competing with other sports.

The Goannas have moved from Hobgoblin to a small craft beer place called Brew La La in Shimbashi (which is also a great suburb to see the largest collection of paraletic salarymen in the city). I believe they show all major evening games on a projector but you may want to call ahead to see if they are open during the day on ANZAC day given it will be the middle of a day on Thursday.

If that fails then Hobgoblin may still be showing the footy but it’s doubtful if the Goannas are no longer paying for their international subscription.

“Unsuspecting” “forgot”. Incompetent TSA staff. Even more compromised by Trump’s shutdown.

Would this happen in any other country?

Spare me feeling sympathy for this “unsuspecting” NRA traveller taking guns to a country that @JohnRain and others rightfully say is one of the safest in the world.

2 Likes

Asked a mate who lives in Tokyo for you. His response was pretty much as others have indicated above (i.e. check the FB page of the Tokyo Goannas, or DM them and they can give you advice/info).

1 Like

Looking for some tips from the experts (Blitz Travel Agency). I am a complete

I’m excited to say we (family of 5) are heading to Europe for the first time this year. Brother is getting married in Germany which should be a blast. Want to add a few stops as well as I have family in England and my wife’s family are from Italy. At the moment, wanting the whole trip to be around 3 weeks, say a week in England, week in Germany, week in Italy.
The hitch is, the wedding date is not set as its not easy for an Aussie to get married over there. Booking a Town Hall, reception etc isn’t easy in Germany (from what he says) due to demand during the warmer months.
So we won’t be able to book anything now or that much in advance as we have no dates, not sure when we’ll get them.
How do we manage flights? My brother and his fiancé say just book a ticket over there and worry about other travel (flights) when we are there as its cheaper. Or, can you buy an around the world ticket now select some destinations and worry about confirming dates later? Would this even be cheaper? Is this even possible?

Flights between certain cities (based on who flys where) can indeed be dirt-cheap in Europe. And if needed you can complete the trip with regular walk-on inter-city trains.

1 Like

Possible to do a RTW ticket but I wouldn’t as it’s only really beneficial if you want to stop in multiple continents. Internal airfares in Europe are as cheap as chips and flights are very frequent. I’d book the best priced flight with a decent airline to one of the key hubs in Europe and from there you will have no dramas. London is a great hub but taxes can be higher so Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt or Milan are your other best bets

1 Like

If you know a start and end date, then just book to and from Oz. There are some great deals at present.

RyanAir fly everywhere out of Gatwick for Fark all, and they have very cheap prices for standby types flights.

1 Like

Just be careful with connections where your international / domestic flights are on different tickets. You won’t be able to check in all the way through, so the fault will be yours if you miss a flight due late arrival of the earlier flight.

So leave heaps of time between (preferably arriving / departing on different days).

1 Like

Also I would consider renting a car in Germany if you are spending a few days there especially with little ones. When our son was younger we found it so much better to drive everywhere and when he became hungry or wanted to run around we would pull over at a park near a lake or river and have a bite to eat whilst he ran around and kicked a footy. Germany is very easy to get around and easy to drive in

1 Like

And car rental is cheap. Petrol is more expensive and parking in most Cities is difficult though.

1 Like

Agreed. Fuel is very pricey so check on models that are more economical. Plenty of diesels get good mileage but the price of diesel is slightly more in most places. The VW Tiguan we had over there was very good on diesel and would accomodate a family of 5. Most hotels will have car parking for a fee and if not will give you a decent discount to park in a public car park. It’s really only the big cities that sting you for parking

Thanks for the advice all.

So not knowing how / where to book, we thought Airbnb would be most cost effective for decent accommodation (need to check reviews of course), is this definitely the way to go? I can’t imagine booking hotels would be cheap.

My family are in the midlands in England (Wolverhampton and surrounds) so I am also guessing travelling by train / public transport would be the way to go there in and around England?

What about Italy? I seriously have no idea. Is the transport any good? My wifes family are from Calabria and Sicily.

Also, being first time, do people recommend touching base with a travel agent? Or do your own research and book what you need to when we have more information on dates?

Do it yourself. Plenty of us on here are willing to help if you need more info. I still have TA logins to search flights, accommodation etc so just ask and I will try to help

1 Like

I don’t have much experience with AirBNB and usually book myself. Accomodate can be well priced. Definitely rent a car in England, the midlands are a breeze to drive around with good motorways

1 Like