Travel Thread

Clearly better for some than others.

10 years ago I claimed some camera gear (lens & body) that was accidentally damaged in Nepal. TID was the insurer & they paid up promptly & with little hassle as I recall.

1 Like

I take many of those sites with a grain of salt.
If I have a bad experience I will change the provider, same for most things.

I had an interesting experience in Vietnam with medibank private travel insurance. I got appendicitis and needed surgery, the f#$kers made me wait all day in agony so they could approve it.

I was in the Mekong Delta in Long Xuyen and this is where my wife has lots of friends, including nurses and doctors at a private hospital. So I was happy to have surgery there. They first wanted me to travel 5 hours plus to ho chi minh city to go to a hospital there. Then they wanted to speak to the doctors, who had poor English, so my wife was translating. Then they wanted to get a second opinion. While, all this was happening the doctors are saying we only have a limited time before we can no longer do key hole surgery. They finally approve it, after more than 8 hours.

Best part of the experience was going out for dinner with the surgeon once I was better.

1 Like

I had a great experience with Chubb.

We got stuck in Bali for 7 days due to volcano (I took out the policy prior to the volcano starting to erupt, so we were covered).

Chubb paid for everything, accommodation at the Padma (we had been staying there), all food and even drinks. In total they paid just over $3k after excess.

Best 7 days of my life.

4 Likes

On balance, and with no confidence, Iā€™ll probably stick with InsureandGo based on the weight of their online reviews which arenā€™t as terrible as most, but I might invest in a mouthguard.

In nearly 20 overseas trips, Iā€™ve never made a claim. Always insured.

1 Like

Same here for around 15 trips but at my age Iā€™m probably due and like to think itā€™s not one big con.

Recently got an airfare quote from a Flight Centre and the guy there also gave me a quote for travel insurance (about $450) after telling me that the free travel insurance under my credit card is basically crap. The Flight Centre recommended Covermore as their preferred insurer.

Anyway, later checked with my bank (which bank?) and discovered that the travel insurance under my credit card was provided by guess who - Covermore.

5 Likes

Donā€™t trust a thing flight centre say. I asked one time if l could get a flight to japan with Thai airways using a 2 week stopover in bangkok. He got back to me saying not possible, I would have to buy separate segments. Didnā€™t ring true so l contacted thai directly and they said no problem and sold it to me for $1500 cheaper than his price.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve used 1cover for a long time. Hadnā€™t claimed till a snake bit me in Hua Hin in December. They paid up direct to the hospital the next day, took a few calls to grease the wheels, but they paid up, so all good.

2 Likes

Who was the snake insured with?
Seriously, what happened, this I want to know about. What sort of snake was it? And where was it? How sick did you get?

The snake was uninsured. I actually posted in this thread from hospital at the time so l wont bore people again with much detail.Kept me in icu overnight as they were worried it was a viper, but after blood tests every 6 hrs for 24 hrs l was given the all clear. It cost a bit over $2000 for the night and insurance paid up, so all good.

2 Likes

Originally wifey and I had planned to do a Europe trip this year, but due to some unforeseen expenses weā€™ve had to nix those plans. Instead weā€™ll take advantage of the free return flights to Japan on Jetstar. $320 return is unbeatable.

Tokyo here we come. Thinking of maybe heading up to Hokkaido for a week or so and having a look, with possibly a few days around Nikko too.

2 Likes

Just arranged 16 nights in Iran next Nov/Dec.

Hope now that the POTUS moron doesnā€™t start a war.

They were also offering the free economy return flight if you purchased a one way business class on Jetstar. Was approx $1000 return. Jetstar are on my banned list though so it didnā€™t tempt me

1 Like

Yeah jetstar are also on my list for long flights. Domestic i can deal with them if they are much cheaper than qantas.

But they do have incredible deals.

Jetstar are on my banned list for any flight.
Through work we have to fly Qantas but on flights we pay for I would say 90% of domestic flights are with Virgin. Things like free economy X seats as a Platinum and better meals in business class has made the decision pretty easy.

Great! For a long time, I have loved to go to Iran. But two notes of caution:

1. Are you planning to go to the US in the next few years? Expect grief at immigration points. Google it. If they can do it to Mem Fox and UN ambassadors, they can do it to you.

2. Be very careful with your visa application. They lost my passport despite being sent with a return postpaid registered mail envelope. When we called the Embassy they provided no help at all and said they never signed it. It had still not been returned when I had to leave, so I had to make a special trip and pay through the nose for an emergency passport for the flight out the next day. So I only made it to the UAE on that trip and had to cancel Iran. I later found out that ā€œlostā€ AUS passports were worth some money on the black market,

Interesting. I may try them if they do status matches.