Travel Thread

The family wants a more relaxed trip next Christmas school hols. Not so much rushing about, but with active options from a base. So the hub-and-spoke model I guess. We would have 2 to 3 weeks. Its a good time to visit South East Asia (Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, West coast of Malaysia) and also South Asia (India, Sri Lanka). I am in the middle of planning a loop around Sri Lanka, but this is probably a bit too full on. Southern Thailand makes sense, but I wonder if it is offensively busy given this would be peak season? Any thoughts?

Iā€™ve sworn never to return to Thailand at Christmas time. Absolute chaos. Canā€™t decide which is worse, the swarm of Australianā€™s on school holidays or the hive of Russians escaping the Christmas freeze at home. Vietnam would be my choice. Hanoi and HCMC are excellent hubs and Nha Trang and Da Nang are superb around the start of the New Year.

Hmmm. Do the crowds in Thailand die down significantly by 2nd half January?

Drops a little but still can be crazy in February and March. We try to travel to Thailand in April or October

OK. Thanks for the advice. Hate crowds, so hmmm.
Havenā€™t been to Thailand since '94. Sounds like it has changed a bit.

I spent 16 days in Phuket in December 2011. It was fine. We stayed in Kata (and avoided Patong).

Further south you might be ok. Karon or Kata beach will be less busy. Phuket will be absolute mayhem

Krabi?

I have never visited there. A mate did (for the climbing) & had a great time.

1 Like

Krabi will be fairly busy but nowhere near as bad as Phuket

1 Like

Hmm, I get PER-PEK in J for no cost. ;- )

Heading to Taj Mahal, sky is patchy filmy clouds and it looks likely theyā€™ll be gone by sunset.

Winning.

6 Likes

Well, wispy mostly stayed around but it was pretty good. Someone said recently that any tour operator of sense would only get you there at the strike of dawn: yeah nah, especially during winter. Has been taking a couple of hours, at least, to burn off the fog/pollution every morning, at which stage the nice light is gone.

Next morning: sun comes out quite early. Ha.

Qantas double SC offer started today, canā€™t see much work getting done this arvo as I have a stack of domestic flights to book

Go up to the top of the hill to the Oberoi for a quiet cocktail and watch the sunset over the Taj.

Whats this offer Aceman? double SC??

Double Status Credits or SCā€™s.
SCā€™s are what determines your level in the Qantas system and therefore your One World Alliance status level.
By offering double it allows you to reach status higher or keep your status for another year.

Canā€™t see it on the website and didnā€™t receive the email just yet. Could you send a link please?

Try that.
Just remember flights have to be booked on a QF flight number and must also be on Qantas metal ie no Jetstar or Emirates.
Book by the 22nd for travel between the 25/2/19 and 31/08/19

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/frequent-flyer/member-specials/double-status-credits-open-feb19.html

1 Like