Travel Thread

I’ m having a crack at P1. But need 950 more SCs in only 3 months.

Ouch.
I dropped from P1 back to Platinum early last year and TBH there isn’t a huge amount of difference.
I need 80 SC’s in the next week and a bit to retain Platinum otherwise I will soft land to Gold so I’ll just do a ADL-MEL run in business ASAP and then these extra domestic flights I’ve booked today should get my wife up to Platinum. I’ve cut back on Qantas a bit as their product on international is pretty average IMO. Fly a lot more with Virgin these days domestically and switched more and more international travel over to SkyTeam alliance for Asia

Sitting on the second level of a cenotaph in Orccha, overlooking what I assume is a cremation happening on the beach just up the river.

1 Like

Not a barbie?

1 Like

Agreed. All my Asia travel is with China Southern. Qantas thinks it is perfectly fine that people would want to go e.g. Perth-Beijng via SYD, FFS. No option for connecting with One world carriers via HKG or KUL.

“Fred… I think we’ve got an eater!”

Have booked a Tripadeal 12 day tour for 2 $1998 total plus $17.50 credit card fee with bomber3232… plus $150 each payable on arrival for bus transfers / pick ups etc internally . hotels and breakfast included .I think some tours mentioned in their spiel are paid separately.

Depending on who you have gone through some tours will be included and some will be optional for an added cost.

Just booked family holiday to Hong Kong and North Vietnam over September school holidays.

First time i have been out of Melbourne for prelim final/grand final.

Murphy’s law says we’ll go deep in September.

September there is still a possibility of a typhoon in HK but if you don’t have any typhoons during your trip it’s the best time to visit. Weather is superb around that time of year and the beaches are great.
I’ve just taken it for granted that we won’t go deep in finals over the last decade so September and October is prime holiday time for us.

1 Like

North Vietnam is great

1 Like

My wife and 2 young kids went there in March last year, not really knowing what to expect.

Loved it so much we are going back.

1 Like

Haven’t been since 2001. Would like to head back. Hanoi makes a great base from which to do lots of day & multi-day side trips (Halong Bay, trekking from Sapa, Ninh Binh etc etc). And the food…

Yeah we loved the organised chaos of Hanoi.

We will be in Hanoi for the Grand Final. 25-30 cent beers could make for an interesting grand final day.
(if we somehow won it, i fear for my safety)

The kids were a little too young to do Halong Bay and Sapa last time, so those are definitely on the list this time.

2 Likes

@JohnRain, @Bacchusfox and co thanks for posting re the drink spiking in Roppongi (it was a while back, but I only just read it). I’m headed to Tokyo for a few days in July and had NO idea about this. And me and the wife are the sort of people who would wander round Roppongi, cop an invite to a bar and say “yeah why not”.

Just a thought - I imagine sticking to bottled beers would be a good idea in those situations? Or am I being too paranoid?

1 Like

Be prepared for it to be cold if you go to Sapa

1 Like

I’ll be in Cartagena Colombia on March 24th.

Anyone know of any location there showing AFL?

I think if you’re that aware (to select bottle) you wouldn’t be accepting the invite in the first place! From what I read after BF’s original post they target men out alone.

I would just stay away from seedy looking bars that have big Nigerian blokes spruiking out the front.

Japan is a fantastic place and I have never got into any trouble. However I have always been very cautious since I got in the middle of a gun-fight between two warring Muslim sects in Pakistan a very long time ago.

Just watch your drinks and stay close to your Wife !!

2 Likes

Pleasure. My message was intended for awareness purposes, so am happy that a ‘yeah, why not?’ free spirit such as yourself read it and took it onboard.

Nah, you’re not being paranoid. That’s actually a good idea IF you decide to venture into those dodgy areas and ignore my advice (good for solo travellers who may be reading).

Bacchusfox beat me to it. Just avoid/don’t accept any invites from the street touts - whether they be of African persuasion or hot female persuasion. The cops are cracking down on street touts, but they are like mushys in the night and pop up everywhere. Stick together and have a cracking time.

Japan is easily the safest country in the world and you should feel super relaxed during your trip. I shared my experience in response to BF’s sad message about his friend, mainly as a way of creating awareness. Yes, Japan is one of the safest places you can visit, however, if you let your guard down, visit the dodgy areas and allow (predominantly) foreign touts to entice you into their (managed) premises, then yes - you are running risk.

I was informed (almost a decade ago) that my report resulted in the OZ government putting an alert on their Smartraveller page. The Yanks had been advising their citizens long before that, though. From the OZ site.