Travel Thread

Jesus. I did mention that it was my first visit to WA. I visited a crapload of beaches and loved all of them. Eagle Bay just happened to stand out as being one of the better ones. On the day I visited, I encountered 3 other people. A family from South America on holidays. They also commented on how beautiful the beach was. Get out of your Northern Perth crib and live a little, Swoods. :grin:

The reason I know about the pretentious wankers is that Iā€™ve stayed there a couple of times in the pastā€¦I didnā€™t knock the beach Mr Sensitive :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: just some of the owners of the local properties

They must have all been at home near your joint at the time, Swoods, as the place was deserted. And there was only a small carpark and tiny public toilet there. No shops. No development. No town. Nothing like say Byron - which I enjoy - except for the point you mentioned. I think this is what we enjoyed most about Eagle Bay. We encountered less than 10 people all day. Seemed semi-rural for us. The Eagle Bay brewery was a decent joint as well (but perhaps it catered well for my yuppie sensitivities). :blush:

Japan trip with Mrs Azza slowly coming together. Still going to Tokyo with a few days up in Nikko, but rather than head north to Hokkaido weā€™re gonna head south - all the way down to Okinawa and do some island hopping.

Gonna try and get to the sumo while weā€™re in Tokyo but Iā€™ve heard tickets can hard to come by, particularly later on when the tournament is getting to the pointy end. Also gonna see if we can get tix for to see the Tigers vs Giants baseball. Sadly we leave just before it starts otherwise I wouldā€™ve tried to catch some of the RWC too.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been to sumo a couple of times. First time was by rocking up in the morning and buying whatever tickets were available (and returning in the afternoon when the big boys come on). This was fine. We were in a four person tatami set up (which are closer to the ring than the seats which are in the outer) that would have been very uncomfortable if like me you are not flexible. Fortunately it was just the two of us.

Second time I didnā€™t want to need to go in the morning so we bought from these guys - https://buysumotickets.com/ - they charge a premium but certainly makes it easy. These were seated tickets further up in the stadium. More comfortable but did prefer being closer to the ring the first time we went.

Definitely recommend getting to a baseball game. The best experiences we had at the baseball were Swallows games at Meiji Jingu (which is next to the new Olympic Stadium). Very suburban feel and in the middle of the city. Lots of fun. Tokyo Dome for me is a bit of a soulless Marvel Stadium but Iā€™m sure youā€™d still enjoy it.

Japanese baseball is great fun. Watched the Tigers play the lions in Osaka last time we were in Japan, got drunk on cheap shochu and took a heap of photos with local fans who mistook me for an American big leaguer :smile:

Thanks for the tip re sumo tickets. Might go and Google what a tatami is though.

1 Like

I scored free tickets to last monthā€™s basho via a client. This is how close I was to the dohyō (ring). The area had four zabuton cushions (designed for four people), but you are fairly crammed in there. Unlimited grog, though, and heaps of food (included in the ticket price). Very good advice by @j_w I always skip the morning comp called JÅ«ryō & only rock up around 3:30 p.m. for the Makuuchi comp. When I arrived last month, the tickets were fully sold out, so itā€™s best to buy them as early as possible (or online).

Re: baseball. Iā€™m a Baystars fan. Their games have a great vibe. Plus there are plenty of decent restaurants & bars close by. Spend 1/2 day exploring Yokohama & hit up a Baystars game at night.

2 Likes

Hanshin Tigers all the way, JR!

1 Like

I support any team except for the Giants, Azza. :laughing: Hanshin definitely have the most passionate fans. Saying that, I visited Hiroshima once & thought the locals were right into their baseball & local team, the Carp.

1 Like

Basic room with a Roman view in Amman

6 Likes

There are vegetarian options on the menu too.

6 Likes

Ermā€¦ Iā€™ll just have the tagine thanksā€¦

2 Likes

The Karsat is like Haggis, I would try that one. Maybe not the testicles though.

Sheeps head goes with salad? Who knew? I always go for the mash and veg option.

2 Likes

My usual hotel in PEK has recently put a black Texta line though their menu where it used to offer dog.

What sites do people use to set up search options and track deals? I think I used Skyscanner a while back, but be happy to hear of others.

Dammit, my apartment in Osaka has just cancelled on me!
Need to find somewhere else pronto.
Any recommendations from our resident Japan-o-philes?

Looking for recommendations from those who have been to England. We want to see London and visit the midlands (for family). What else is a good place to visit? Looking at 7-8 days.

What do you need? Rooms, beds, location.

We had an ok place for a few nights with family near Umeda, but for the life of me canā€™t get a link out of AirBNB.

AirBnB should have plenty of listings for Osaka, Gnik. Otherwise, a cheap business hotel (if just needing a comfortable base). You would need to check if they can add an additional bed for your daughter, otherwise you might have to book two rooms (this happened to me in December when the three of us took a short trip). Even two rooms worked out at about 12,000 yen (total) including breakfast. I wasnā€™t in Osaka, though, but you could do it for around that price. APA hotels are quite cheap.

1 Like