Travel Thread

Still planning this trip. Now aiming for 2.5 weeks in the window between New Year & Chinese NY (25 Jan).

Thinking it might be good to get to Laos before the Chinese fast train in 2021 & the over-damming on the Mekong & tributaries. Specifically, I’m looking at around 3 days in BKK, then either:

1. Fly to Chiang Rai for a couple of days, take the slow boat along the Mekong to Luang Prabang & hang there for 4-5 days before flying back via BKK.
  2. Fly to Luang Prabang & use it as a base with a side trip up the Nam Ou river to Nong Khiaw for a couple of days before flying back via BKK.

Also have some amigos who loved it down south around Pakse & 4000 islands.

Laos ring any bells?

I’ve seen that movie

2 Likes

We were there in Oct 17 and it’s gorgeous as you know. A couple a points based on one 2 and half week hol.
Luang Prabang was great for a few days but it’s charms wore quickly for mine, hyper buddhist touristy.
Enjoyed our days in Nong Khiaw much more and it’s a good base for trips to places like Muong Ngoi where we saw lots of backpackers decamping for community visits. Mind you, I don’t think you can travel directly to Nong Khiaw by boat anymore due to the dams- think you can go half way but then have to get a bus round. The local buses are famously uncomfortable, to which I can attest but we shared a private mini bus with some NZers we met on the way back which was so much better and quicker.
I think it was the Nam Ou up there and I can tell you it is now a bit fetid and muddy and more like a lake than a river in its movement because we spent 2 or 3 hours canoeing- still interesting but not at all like it was according to our hotel owner.

Thanks for the reply. Interesting that you preferred Nong Khiaw over Luang Prabang.

Yes, from what I’ve read its usually bus of some sort to NK these days, but I think boat along the Nam Ou may still be the only option to Muong Ngoi.

Do you think around 5 days for LP? This would allow for Kuang Si falls, Pak Ou caves, maybe a cooking class, ethical elephants & a bit of zip-lining and / or r&r. Plus 3 nights / 2 days for NK?

Did you do, or hear any opinions on, the slow boat along the Mekong from the Thai border? I’m keen, but wonder if it might be a bit monotonous for our 15 YO?

The caves and the falls were really good so I guess 5 days would be fine. Maybe I expected something a little less commercial in LP and it threw me a bit.
We definitely took the boat up to Muong Ngoi , lovely river ride. Don’t know about the Mekong slow boat.

1 Like

It’ll be that or somewhere in Thailand I think.

Don’t get me wrong LP is still an attractive town.

Seen much of Thailand? Haven’t been since the 90s…

There were heaps of families on the slow boat and whilst I enjoyed it it was a looooooong journey. Be aware that on the first day you will dock at Pak Beng for the evening and will be greeted by touts looking to bargain with you for accommodation (there are no hotels)
The boat got very warm so try to sit near the front for a breeze. The engines are loud and you are allowed to smoke in the rear seats also

Only Bangkok which is great if you avoid the shopping malls and stick to the older parts. IMO anyway. Ferry rides are great.

1 Like

Yes. Was told this govt building and clock were recently unveiled after renovation in front of a large crowd at an official ceremony. Crowd collectively went Oooow! Must have been hilarious.

Interpretation of Essendon based on the clock - a countdown to suceess or going backwards?
Cryptic I admit.

Has the excellent look of the Thank God It’s Friday menus been mentioned here?

1 Like

completely unrelated to me collecting money for the Blitz Player Sponsorships…… :stuck_out_tongue:

I just booked a trip to Antarctica :smile:

13 Likes

Looking fwd to the pics & trip report

1 Like

if it’s anything like my last training report…

“Cold. Few penguins. Lots of ice”

11 Likes

Fantastic. That is still very high on the bucket list but might have to do it solo as Mrs Ace doesn’t have sea legs and throws up on the Manly ferry let alone several days going around the horn

2 Likes

Watch out for those Antarcticans though.

2 Likes

Just been hiking the Nakasendo trail in central Japan for two days, covered 25km total with snowfall one day (Magome to Tsumago), and plenty underfoot doing the Torii Pass (Narai to Yabuhara). Both walks great and no bears thanks to my superior bell ringing.
After all that, as I made my way unscathed to the station I slipped on some icy steps and twisted my knee. Here are a few iPhone pics. Much better pics on my Nikon 7200 which I can’t upload now, but thankfully are fine after I whacked it on the ground in my tumble, smashing the lens protector filter and denting it into my Sigma lens. Good times.

Magome:

Halfway between Magome and Tsumago, a sole house with an old man who gives you hot tea and a place to take a break:

Narai:

9 Likes

Summer or winter time?

1 Like