Travel Thread

Thanks Aceman. I knew that if anyone had any good ideas, it would be you…not any of these Sicilian/Calabrian types we have here.

In taxis you don’t need car seats. We have gone very lax and don’t use any. But our kids are only normally in cabs for reasonably short rides and not every day. I am sure you could probably hire them although they would be expensive. Therefore I would look at the family options for Grab around Singapore, ie getting to Sentosa. For the Legoland transfer I assume the private hire companies will be able to provide seats - I will send you the name we are using.

1 Like

I am spending two weeks in Spain in early May; first in Barcelona and then at a golf resort near Barcelona at Sitges.

Have never been to Barcelona before, so any tips on what to do and where to go ?

Ignoring Sagrada Familia and Barcelona Cathedral, there are lots of touristy things.

Barre Gotico - where you can still set bullet holes from the Civil War
Las Ramblas and the famous market, la Boqueria
Parc Guell - a Gaudi creation
Montjuic Castle whereCatalan leader Lluis Companys was executed by Franco forces
Poble Espanyol - which covers all 17 provinces
Passeig de Gracia - which has some famous Gaudi houses

And beware of pickpockets, particularly around La Rambla

Well, in that case go to Scampia in Naples. Look it up and tell me what you think.

What’s that? Scampi in Neapolitan ice-cream?

Might be a struggle to get from Fiumincino to Naples and back in 9 hours…and still have time to do something.

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Is your tour going to Castel Sant’Angelo? It’s near the Vatican, but it seems to often not be mentioned.

Connected with the pope, so don’t care.

Are you departing internationally from FCO?
If so allow plenty of time as customs can be a PITA. As a rule we usually allow a good 3 1/2 hours when departing from Rome

Singapore to Legoland best options are:

Private car. Cost should be under $200 for the whole day return.

Malaysian taxis can take for from Queen St. they should be able to bring you back but just make sure beforehand.

$1000 is insanity and someone is ripping you off.

Obviously don’t forget passports but sunscreen is the other thing. Legoland can get pretty hot.

I live in Singapore so sing out if you have other questions.

Oh… I haven’t gone on the bus, but the coaches are usually pretty good.

1 Like

We are going to Legoland this weekend. Our transfer from Singapore is $100 each way for family of 4.

1 Like

Yeah…FCO to Dubai. But it’s still all but 12 hours. If we get back to FCO by 1800, we have tons of time.

British Airways plane was supposed to land in Germany, but ended up in Scotland by mistake

49 minutes ago

Updated

There appeared to be nothing out of the ordinary about flight BA3271 on Monday, with everything going according to the flight plan.

Key points:

• Passengers had booked the flight to Dusseldorf, Germany, however the flight plan instructed crew to fly to Edinburgh, Scotland
  • The flight plan for the British Airways flight was filed by WDL Aviation, which included the wrong destination
  • After refuelling in Scotland, the plane took off again, this time flying passengers to Dusseldorf

However, passengers were stunned to learn their plane had not only landed in the wrong city, but also in the wrong country.

The British Airways flight from London City Airport was supposed to head to Dusseldorf in Germany but ended up in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Passenger Sophie Cooke told the BBC she assumed it was a joke when the pilot made an announcement welcoming them to the Scottish city.

But soon the penny dropped — something had gone wrong.

Ms Cooke said the pilot made another announcement, asking passengers to raise their hands if they wanted to go to Dusseldorf.

Everyone raised their hands, according to Ms Cooke.

“The pilot said he had no idea how it had happened,” she said.

Another passenger took to Twitter about the unplanned Scottish detour.

“I don’t think anyone on board has signed up for this mystery travel lottery,” Son Tran said.

British Airways said the problem started when an incorrect flight plan was filed by WDL Aviation, which operated the flight on behalf of the airline.

Officials say the pilot followed the flight plan for Edinburgh.

Air traffic control officials also were following the same flight plan and saw nothing amiss.

Map: Flight path map

A British Airways spokesperson told the BBC the plane had flown to Edinburgh the day before so the “involuntary stopover” may have been due to the flight plan being repeated by mistake.

WDL aviation said it was working with authorities to work out what caused the “obviously unfortunate mix-up”.

Ms Cooke said the plane was on the tarmac in Scotland for close to two hours.

After the short visit to Scotland, the flight was refuelled and set off again, this time heading directly to Dusseldorf.

The British Airways spokesperson said the airline had contacted customers individually to apologise for the surprise stopover.

ABC/wires

Topics: travel-and-tourism, offbeat, scotland, germany, england

First posted about 4 hours ago

2 Likes

None of the passengers could identify east from west?

Then they deserved it.

Good thing it wasn’t Germany from 1945-89.

Any recommendations for pubs in Hanoi showing Anzac Day game?

Tayrona Colombia on the Caribbean coast. Great place to relax while stressing reading BB!

8 Likes

Go and see Max Hart at The Real Kangaroo Cafe, and tell him a Comrade sent you.

Max will know how to see the game and makes great hamburgers.

If you like gardens and historic villa’s, try Villa D’este/Tivoli gardens.

Bus trip from Rome to Tivoli. We did lunch in the town of Tivoli (gorgeous little spot) then walked to the villa/gardens. Was great.

2 Likes

Nice idea, but takes 2-3 hours to get there, and 2-3 to get back…so that’s completely out of the question.

1 Like