Travel Thread

Noted.

Taā€¦but seem pricey. Checked on Amazon.

They arenā€™t the cheapest but they dry super quick, are iron free and rather comfortable. Iā€™ve picked up when Rebel has their 30% off sales.

Ta againā€¦Iā€™ll keep an eye out on Rebel.

Not Rebel Wilson, mind you. Sheā€™s as funny as a fart in a phonebox.

Editā€¦so happens thereā€™s a 30% off Under Armour sale on at the moment. Still $63 a pop.

1 Like

Cathay would also earn you pretty much the same amount of status credits as Qantas for qualifying and is a shorter and more comfortable flight from Perth.

Yes I know about CX and did that before CZ but am doing this route this once due to Qantasā€™ DSC offer. That would not apply flying CX.

Yeah the stingy mugs changed it to QF metal only on this DSC period. There was a couple last year that let you take codeshares including Emirates but Iā€™ve noticed in all the latest ones they have canned that. Another DSC period this week for OS travel only on Qantas but wonā€™t be taking it up, cheaper to do a status run in Asia if I need SCā€™s.
At least you have a great lounge to tide you over :grinning:

1 Like

Yep, second best in the Qantas domain.

EKā€™s Dubai FC lounge is still best I have ever been in.

1 Like

Cathayā€™s Pier F lounge at HKG is also top notch

Agree the trains are excellent. We did get a bus though, from Yamanakako to Tokyo direct, which took around the same time as the alternative bus/train option and was MUCH cheaper. I guess between major hubs the train is always going to be the better option.

The old man just rang to gloat that he is off to China again in October. Forget the name of the mob but they had a 4 day sale on where China trips were 2 for 1. Cost $1054 for 9 nights including airfares, accommodation, most meals and several tours. At just over $50pp a day you canā€™t beat that

1 Like

I think its Tripadeal We are off to Beijing 12 nights airfare, accom and breakfast Cost $1998 plus $150 each on arrival to cover transfers from airport to hotels, fly home from Shanghai ,all flights Qantas .12 night 2 for 1 deal

2 Likes

Normally, buses are a fine option, however, @sporting_brisbano asked about ā€˜Golden Weekā€™ - which is a week long holiday (series of public holidays) - when almost all Japanese head away at the exact same time. Out of Tokyo, you are looking at 60km long traffic jams. Worst story I have heard is an 18 hour drive from Tokyo to Mt. Fuji (usually 2 hours).

This year will be especially bad, as Golden Week has been extended to 10 days, due to the Emperorā€™s abdication. All roads, airports, train stations will be chaotic between 27 April - 6 May inclusive. I highly recommend anyone visiting Japan during Golden Week to avoid all road travel & to stick solely with the trains.

I am taking the clan camping at the base of Fuji-san (as I do every year), but will be departing Tokyo on the 25th April to avoid the mass exodus.

Weā€™re camping at Lake Biwa but leaving on the 29th :grimacing:

Iā€™m guessing 27-28 April will be the worst for departure & 5-6 May for arrival. You may be lucky on the 29 April, but Iā€™d easily double or even triple the time it usually takes to drive from your pad to Lake Biwa. Not sure on Kansai traffic during GW, but Kanto traffic is off the charts. I really canā€™t exaggerate it.

p.s. Enjoy, man. How long for?

Getting through the Senri/Suita area is nuts. We sat still at the entry to the Chugoku to head west for about three hours one time. Iā€™m sure Kanto is way more insane. But yeah after the w/e it should be a bit better.

Just for a couple of nights, finally I get a chance to take my eldest on a little camping trip, so just a beginner level camping ground with comforts not too far away.

Two years ago, my wife joined us a few days after we had arrived & set up camp. It was right at the start of GW. She caught the shink down from Shin-Yokohama to Fuji Station & we drove down from the campground to pick her up from Fuji station. Usually a 40 minute drive (return) to the campground. Took me 5 hours. I was fuming. :crazy_face:

Anyway, your trip sounds like fun. Iā€™ve never been to the Lake Biwa area before. If you manage a few good pics, hope youā€™ll share em.

1 Like

Iā€™d love to hear about that. I tried to book an airbnb on the lake with paddleboards etc. but the dude was poorly organised and we had to find somewhere in Kyoto to stay instead which turned out very well fortunately.

Oh I wanted to stay around Lake Biwa and drive around but was worried with the luggage we had at that point if we could manage it all.

Next time I guess.

I still want to buy a property in Japan. Are you guys Japanese residents or still Australian citizens or some other assumption iā€™ve missed that makes me racist? Any rules about property ownership in Japan I should be aware of?

Iā€™m a permanent resident here in Japan (and an Australian citizen).

It is fairly easy for Aussies to buy property in Japan. Have you heard of the ā€˜akiyaā€™ (vacant/abandoned houses) problem in Japan? They can be scooped up for a dime - depending on the location. Youā€™d need to be aware of potential reno costs, but there are plenty of decent joints still around.

Housing in rural areas (non akiya) can also be purchased extremely cheaply - as long as they arenā€™t in areas like Niseko, etc. Iā€™ll go through my files & PM you some info I have kept. Give me a couple of days.

3 Likes