Travel Thread

Looking at these great deals for China
How do you go about Visa’s or does the company fix them for you

A travel agent can handle or you can save some money and do it yourself.
Can apply online and I think you then need to finalise at the Chinese embassy (if you’re in Melbourne).

Go to au.china-embassy.org

Most tour operators won’t do it.
There are mobs online that do it but far easier to do it yourself or get someone to lodge it for you. My parents live only an hour or so from Canberra so I just post it to them, they lodge it it and it’s ready in a few days normally

You can get your visa at 570 St Kilda Road. It takes 4 working days and costs $109.50 for a single entry visa. You can also have it posted for an additional $22

Yum! Followed your excellent advice above. Been looking fwd to Okonomiyaki all trip & finally enjoyed one tonight in some rando joint on Dotonbori. It was great…

Last day in Japan tomorrow. Daughter wants to go shopping for vintage clothes again (she already picked up some gear in Harajuku & a pair of Docs in Kyoto, but she probably deserves it after smashing the Kumano Kodo hike). Is it Amerikura & Orange Street we should be looking at?

That’s great to hear, glad you enjoyed it!

When you get time, I’d love to hear about the hike.

Definitely Amerika-mura for vintage stuff. You could even drift north of Nagahori-dori into Minamisenba, or its an easy jump west over Yotsubashi-suji into Horie with Orange Street. Horie is a bit more stylish local brands than vintage I think but is worth a wander.

Thanks.
I’ll get some pics together & report on the hike in a few days.

1 Like

@mrjez
OK, back home now. Enjoyed the Kumano Kodo hike. We did a self-guided group departure with Raw Travel as I was happy to outsource the logistics. Did the Nakahechi route over 8 days - days 1 & 8 were travel days to Kii Tanabe & from Kii Katsuura, day 5 was a rest day in Hongu, so only 5 days actual walking with the usual first day of 17km split over two. So we kinda eased into it. The last day (Ogumotori-goe section) was relatively demanding with steep elevation gain of +1260m and elevation loss of -960m. We are pretty strong on the ups, but cautious on the downs. The walk ended at the iconic Nachi temple & falls. Accommodation was in Minshuku, so futons, onsens and traditional food for B, L & D. Environment was generally wooded hills with occasional viewpoints & lots of shrines. So not exactly the Himalaya, but still enjoyable. Hit me with any q’s. Some pics -

17 Likes

Thanks for sharing Gnik, the pics are fantastic. I tossed up between heading to Nachi or hiking the Nakasendo last month and went with the latter. I’ll definitely have to try this next time.

How many kms would you have hiked all up doing that?

We did -
Takijiri-oji to Takahari 4 kms (easy)
Takahari to Tsugizakura-oji 13 kms (not bad)
Tsugizakura-oji to Hongu 21.5 kms (2nd toughest day)
Rest day Hongu
Ukekawa to Koguchi 13 kms (easy)
Koguchi to Nachisan 14 kms + detour (toughest day)

So 65-70 kms all up including various detours.
Be prepared for plenty of sharp ups & downs.
But no snow for us!

1 Like

Cheers, I’ll take note of that itinerary when I plan to go there.
Any Sakura at that time? I notice Yoshino peaked till around the 16th this year.

The occasional blossoming tree in the villages we walked thru, but not a significant highlight.

Currently in Singapore. It’s great but I have no idea how anyone could live here. The heat and humidity are killing me!

Miss 4 is just loving all the waterparks and the pool though.

4 Likes

Yeah, we love the place but the heat and humidity can be a bit much at times. Wonderful place for kids though and they really cater for tourists. I will be going through there in a few weeks time, not staying this time but have 5 hours transit time so keen to check out the new Jewel at Changi

1 Like

Have any Blitzers been to the different islands in Hawaii?

Which is the most beautiful Island? Not really into shopping/nightclubs etc

I’ve been to Kauai, Oahu, Maui and Hawaii.

Kauai is spectacular…Waimea Canyon, Na Pali coast, but best seen by helicopter.

Maui…Lahaina, road to Hana, Io valley

Hawaii…volcano fields, Kona coast (expensive coast)

Oahu…Waikiki, Punchbowl, Pearl Harbour, Waimea coast…heaps of Japs.

Kauai for mine.

Did a brilliant hike starting at Ke’e Beach to the Hanakapiai Falls and had a swim under the falls. Highly recommend.

We took a cruise along the Na Pali Coast and enjoyed food and drinks along the way. I think @Mackster - went on a kayak adventure along there. That would be the best way, IMO.

Only just seen your post, so not sure if you have been and returned. A nice day trip would be to catch the train from Termini to Orvieto - beautiful hill top town about an hour from Termini. Have a look on Google. A most awesome cathedral there!! and the underground caves.
You could catch the Leonardo Express from the airport to Termini and then the train to Orvieto.

Any advice on where to stay (areas & hotels) in Bangkok & Luang Prabang?
@GRR @Aceman

And what to do from / in Luang Prabang? For substantial side-trips I’m thinking Nong Khiaw / Muang Ngoi for three nights and the Elephant Conservation Centre in Sayaboury as an overnight. And for day trips, probably the Green Jungle zip line & rope way, and I guess the usual caves, waterfalls & cooking classes.