Travel Thread

@handypoint - Kauai also for mine.
Been there 3 times - old fashioned Hawaii.

The Na Pali kayak trip is spectacular but you need to be well organised and capable.
Otherwise do the hike and spend a few nights in the valley.
It says you need a permit but they are pretty lax at checking.

Waimea Canyon is also spectacular.

You can download an ebook that takes you to all the good places.

1 Like

Thanks, but ā– ā– ā– ā–  cathedrals. Iā€™ve done Spain and Poland recently. Cathedrals can tongue my butt.

Ostia Antica brings back memories of my Latin studies.

1 Like

Agree with above posts re Hawai.

But I suggest Molokai. It is unspoilt, has very few tourists and really is what other Hawaii islands would have been like 50 years ago. Kauai is over-run with tourists by comparison.

So if you like low key and relatively unspoilt destinations, that is what I would recommend. [I posted a pic in the ? thread, and there was also one of the Hawaii senator there posted in the US Politics thread].

Iā€™ll pm you some specifics but in general I found Bangkokā€™s older sector fascinating and the commercial sector depressingly soulless, but I hate all shopping centres. Loved the hop on and off ferries, cheap way to get around and commune with the locals. I also think I agree with the view that the Thais are amongst the most attractive people in the World. Laos was great but get ready to be annoyed at the effect of dams on the rivers. We took a local van from Luang Prabang to Nong Khiaw and it was packed and extremely uncomfortable. Itā€™s worth paying more and hiring a private van. We were rescued by 3 NZers who had booked a van on the way back and split the fare 5 ways, worth every penny.

The shopping centres and their air conditioning are there for a few minutes of relief during a walkā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve lived here for more than 10 years. Took a few years to adjust to the heatā€¦ even then it still trashes you.

Boomerang at Boat Quay or Robertson Quay the best place to watch the footy if you are looking for somewhere

1 Like

In Sentosa ATM but thanks. Donā€™t think weā€™re missing much!

1 Like

Friends in Singapore years ago used to say every forecast was Max 34 Min 34 with 95-100% humidity

Been in Barcelona for nearly a week and @Alan_Noonan_10 said previously it is a wonderful city.

I have walked about 50 km in the past 4 days and I am still finding new wonders.

3 Likes

If you like a decent coffee, seek out Cafes el Magnifico in El Born.

Actually found reasonable coffee in a number of places but will try to find the one you suggest.

We go to Sitges on Tuesday which we were told is the Gay capital of the Mediterranean. I will try to confirm !

Donā€™t know about Stiges but Sant Miquel beach in Barcelona is a famous gay beach.

It seems the global rule of middle seat on the plane, gets the arm rests.

Never officially goes above 34 degrees as the construction workers get to down tools at 35ā€¦

4 Likes

I miss the smell of the tatami mats. The feel of it as it gently massages your feet as you walk around.

1 Like

Itā€™s been extremely hot and humid the past few weeks. You do acclimatise though. Really noticed how much better our daughters handled the heat back in Australia over Christmas compared to their cousins.

Are you still in Singapore? We had an amazing storm last night in River Valley.

Let me know when youā€™re heading to Boomers next for a Bombers match. I was at Robbo Quay for the Lions match, but havenā€™t been around since. Iā€™m also out this Friday - we have booked tickets to the Sunset Cinema on Sentosa.

Yeah, still in Sentosa, doing, not much :smile: That was the plan for the last bit of the trip. We leave tomorrow night. Has been raining all day!

1 Like

Hope youā€™ve managed to enjoy your visit despite the heat. Did you get to Legoland?

Yes! The 4yo had an absolute ball at Legoland! The resort is also ridiculous (in the best kind of way!).

1 Like