Travel Thread

It is awesome. Did you stay at the hotel? The rooms were so cool for the kids.

The waterpark at Sentosa is awesome for kids as well if you haven’t checked that out.

1 Like

Anyone ever done cruises through the Panama Canal?
Any must-visits? I’ve always heard Cartagena on the Caribbean coast of Colombia is essential.

I’m also looking at a cruise from Chile (San Antonio) to Buenos Aires - along the Chilean fjords, round Cape Horn and on Tierra del Fuego.

I was in Cartagena in March. Thoroughly recommend the old city.

Yes. We randomly picked a pirate theme last November and pirates has been her obsession in the last few months. Parent win!

1 Like

Went today, even though miss 4 and miss 11mo we’re too short for most things they had a ball. The free pirate ship one has closed down apparently

Singapore is a stickler for rules! The pirate ship was great but they had an ‘over 12’ rule for that one anyway… drove my kids nuts seeing it but not able to walk the plank!

1 Like

Did you go to the one by the beach that is free? It’s at Palawan Green. Would be perfect for the 4yr old. The actual major water park on Sentosa is a poorer version of the Legoland waterpark and not super good for kids at the ages you have.

Score! So much fun for the kids. The lego in the foyer, the disco is the lifts and even the lego packaged toothbrushes which are still getting a good run in our house.

1 Like

Just got back from 2 weeks in Japan with the kids and it was great fun. Highlights were:

• Baseball in Osaka (best fan engagement)
  • Noodle Museum (yes really)
  • hanging out in Minamihorie and Ura Harajuku
  • food everywhere

We were right in the middle of Golden week and the emporer abdication so the crowds were insane even for Japan but somehow lining up in Japan is 100 times better than Australia.

Surprised how much more English was spoken compared to 8 years ago.

4 Likes

I have been in Spain for the ten days and love the place.

This is the view from my balcony for the next week in Sitges.

Sitges is a nice place, but not sure Issie Folau would play the games boys enjoy here!

3 Likes

Is that the Nissin one in the outskirts of Osaka? It’s great fun, I’ve got a booking to take my kid there next holidays.

Qantas frequent flyer: ‘Points Plane’ Airbus A380 reserved for points bookings to take off

Craig Platt

May 16 2019

A Qantas A380 superjumbo flight to Japan will only be available for bookings via frequent flyer points.

A Qantas A380 superjumbo flight to Japan will only be available for bookings via frequent flyer points.

“No seats.”

It’s a phrase familiar to anyone who has tried to book a flight using points on the Qantas site. Limited availability for points bookings means you often can’t get the exact date or class you were hoping for.

That won’t be the case with a flight taking off from Melbourne to Tokyo on October 21 this year, after Qantas announced an entire Airbus A380 superjumbo would be reserved solely for those wanting to book using their frequent flyer points.

All 484 seats on board the superjumbo will be available for points bookings, including the 64 business class suites.

All 484 seats on board the superjumbo will be available for points bookings, including the 64 business class suites.

The first “Points Plane” is available for bookings from Thursday, May 16 and is the first of what Qantas promises will be a series of similar flights across its network.

All 484 seats on the superjumbo would be available for points bookings, including 14 first class, 64 business class and 35 premium economy class seats. The airline said frequent flyer members would have an equal opportunity to book the seats regardless of their status.

“This is the first time we have dedicated an entire aircraft – let alone an A380 – to our frequent flyers, and we are expecting to see significant demand for these flights,” Qantas Loyalty CEO Olivia Wirth said.

“If this concept is a success, which we think it will be, Qantas hopes to operate more regular Frequent Flyer only flights to other international and domestic destinations in the near future.”

The airline indicated the future flights involving the so-called Points Planes would come up when Qantas needed to move unscheduled aircraft around its network for operational and commercial reasons.

The number of points required to book a one-way seat on the first Points Plane will be 35,000 for economy class; 54,000 for premium economy; 72,000 for business class and 108,000 for first class. The points amounts do not include taxes and other fees and charges.

Frequent flyer schemes have become lucrative businesses for airlines, who sell points to third parties like banks, hotels and car-hire operators who then use the points to reward loyalty from their own customers. Qantas earned almost $400 million from its frequent flyer program last financial year.

The airline has introduced some unusual ways to earn points in recent times, including while you sleep via a wellbeing app.

What’s the best way to get from Poland (Krakow or Warsaw) to Budapest? Hesitant to fly as the only one is Wizz and they have a shocking record. But train seems too long

LOT airlines go direct from either on certain days and are excellent. Personally I’d drive and have done several drives in that neck of the woods. Roads are excellent quality and easy to navigate. The larger freeways are toll roads but you can take slightly longer and go off the main roads. Added bonus of seeing some beautiful scenery and nothing beats stopping in at a small country town or village for lunch and a beer

Clever advertising and spin from Qantas. The A380 is being used as a charter flight for the Moto GP from Japan to Australia so rather than fly it empty over there they released all seats to QFF members. First and business class seats were gone in 4 minutes and most PE were gobbled up within the hour. Still some economy seats remaining.
Unfortunately a one way trip back is often priced as much a return flight so unless you can score a points flight back there isn’t a huge advantage

1 Like

I believe it did that exact route on an overnight train many years ago. Horrible nights sleep, passport checks waking you up, and at one point I awoke to find some guys hands on my bag trying to rip it from me.

Your meaning is that they play soccer no doubt!

1 Like

Geez I miss this old girl, it’s been too long HCMC

6 Likes

Ben Thanh Market?