Travel Thread

Yes it is

Looks less chaotic than I remember it (last visited around 15 years ago). Wonder if they have renovated it?

Yeah we have 2 primary aged kids and they loved it so that helps but it was fun in a kitsch way

1 Like

Depends what part of the day you are there. That photo was also in the main part, the labyrinth of stalls to the side was still chaotic. They have done some minor renovations since last visit though

1 Like

Just a few days in Da Nang, I’ve hired a scooter but have also got a driver for a few day trips we have planned. Accor have been fantastic as Platinum members and upgraded us to a corner suite for the 4 nights we are here

2 Likes

Had a good night in Vienna, opera and then ice-cream

1 Like

The plant shop was interesting as well

Just arrived in my boat in Budapest

3 Likes

Hard to believe but it’s even more beautiful at night. Just watch the pick pockets around the river precinct

Mrs Ace couldn’t understand why I was giggling like a child at this sign in Da Nang.
Might float the idea past X

1 Like

The obligatory visit to Hoi An
Mrs Ace loves the place but we have noticed the crowds are getting bigger each time

1 Like

Which is the better place to be based for a few days in Hong Kong - Kowloon or across the harbour at HG Island? (Deciding between at hotels on each side)

HK Island for us but everyone is different.
Both are great for PT and Kowloon is usually a little cheaper

1 Like

Mongkok is where we stay. Away from the hustle & bustle and the touts, and food is about a quarter of the price downtown. With the metro you can get to the harbourfront or central within 10 - 15 minutes.

2 Likes

Thanks for HKG advice, guys!

Has anyone booked through Direct Flights? I searched for flights to Italy and they quote much cheaper than Qantas does. Qantas uses Emirates metal but charges ~$2000 more than EK does. EK does not award SC but $2k is too much for that.

DirectFlights via Skyscanner also uses QF and EK and comes up cheaper. I have never booked via an online agent before. Is this a company that can be trusted?

Normally QF and EK prices are quite similar and not that much difference in price. I’ve never used DirectFlights but I have used some other OTA’s and they have been fine. Try to do some research and read some reviews of DirectFlights, that might give you an answer. Unless the price is outrageously cheaper I tend to book direct with the airline as it’s often easier to get a resolution if things go wrong.
When and what route you looking at?

I’ve booked via sky scanner a few times without problem. IME the prices shown are not necessarily available once you link through to the retailer. But if you are patient & persist they may become available as people release their holds after browsing. Probably not though.

Be aware that while SS shows prices in AUD, the charge may be in a foreign currency depending on where the retailer is based.

Also Flight Centre will price match if an Australian based retailer with ABN, so you can potentially get bricks & mortar peace of mind at an online price.

Can’t recall using Direct Flights, but may have.

1 Like

Yes, I always have booked direct before. Looking to go PER-FCO (i.e. Rome) in late August and return 4 weeks later. For 2 in J, QF quotes $16.6k, Qatar is $13.5k; EK is now $15.2k but last week was $14k

I have searched for reviews of DF. A lot of people say they are great; a few have been burned. As this is a reasonable amount of coin, I am hesitant.

Edit: thanks Gnik. Will see if Flight Centre will match.

FC price matching has worked for me before. You need screenshots that show final price including CC fees etc. and that vendor is Australian based with ABN.

1 Like

I try to avoid FC if possible. Their price matching is great but if there are any delays, change of flights etc I’ve heard far too many horror stories