Travel Thread

Hotel Sacher in Vienna too, for their famous Sachertorte. It’s in the area near St Stephen’s Cathedral.

And wiener Schnitzel. The real stuff, not Chicken Parma.

Strudel is big in Budapest too. And Goulash soup…or stew. I prefer the soup. And there’s a famous Restaurant where they do a special pancake, Gundel’s. Expensive restaurant though.

1 Like

Yeah good call, we have discussed adding Salzburg in. The pictures look magical. Cheers Ross.
Enjoy, and let us know your thoughts on Budapest!!

Thanks AN. Noted those down!! The Sachertorte looks scrumptious.

I had to watch The Sound of Music with my wife one day and I said “goes, you can tell that is done on a stage” and she informed me that it was not, that’s how Salzburg actually looks. When we went there, it was as if someone just painted the scenery, couldn’t believe how beautiful it was. And everyone there is very very friendly.

2 Likes

In Berlin I love the bars and eateries along the Spree River especially around Freidrichstr. I never leave Berlin without having a Currywurst atleast once.
It’s a bit cliche and you will fight the droves but in Munich the Hofbrauhaus is a must, the food is great the drinking even better and the people you will meet will ensure you have a rowdy and often late night. As others have said the Cafe Sacher in Vienna is a must. Cafe Korb is another of our favourites and has the best Apple Strudel I’ve tasted and also does great schnitzels and sausages. It’s only a short walk away from the Stephansdom. Most of these places you are visiting have amazing eateries and bars along every stretch, Prague in particular has a wonderful amount but try and eat somewhere along the river just for the views. As also mentioned try and fit a few other places in and I’d highly recommend hiring a car and driving. Most towns and villages have little eateries that will be a fraction of the cost of the cities and will be genuine home cooked meals. I would visit Salzburg as it’s stunning and if you have time do a day trip to Hallstatt which is quite possibly the most stunning town in Austria. Cesky Krumlov is another town that is a must and isn’t too far out your way in the Czech Republic. A lot depends on your time frame but each of those places you have listed would need a good 2-3 days to appreciate

3 Likes

Thanks heaps Aceman. That’s awesome. Hearing you talk about this has got the excitement levels escalating.
As far as timeframes go, yeah we have about 2-3 days in each of these places aside from Brno and Brno, and Bratislava where we will moreso just be passing through for a few hours. And yep, we have hired a car from Berlin to Budapest so we’ll have that flexibility to stop along the way. Looking forward to that Currywurst now!!

The planning is the hardest I find when having a car. I find it easiest to grab a big map and circle the places you are interested in and then work out which places you can get to easily without backtracking too much whilst allowing a decent amount of time to travel. You might find some places are just too far out of the way or require a big day of travelling (which I don’t mind if required)
Just beware that fuel costs are quite high in most of Europe and for most of the places you will need to either pay tolls or purchase a vignette. Some countries will allow you to pre pay your vignette via the internet which I would recommend. Parking can be scarce in cities especially and most hotels will charge you between $20-40/night to park in their garage

We only did lunchtime in Bratislava. There’s something famous there…chocolatey…plus something alcoholic.

I liked Dresden…we overnighted there but the only thingi remember eating on the Stadtplatz was a spicy currywurst combo…sehr gut!

Make sure you have a pretzel with your stein in the Hofbrauhaus.

There are some great historic walks in Berlin…through the Tiergarten to the Brandenburg Gate, Topography of Terror, Checkpoint Charlie on Friedrichstrasse…many more.

1 Like

There is a company that does walking tours of Berlin, it’s about €15 and they are the best in Europe. Brilliantly done

1 Like

There are good free tours too, but most tip the guide at the end.

Vienna

I can highly recommend the restaurant PLACHUTTA WOLLZEILE for a special meal. It’s in the centre of Vienna.

https://www.plachutta-wollzeile.at/en

They are famous for their Tafelspitz, which is what you should have if you go there.
It’s a Viennese boiled beef dish. It was superb. Very flavoursome and delicious. It’s an historical dish, check out the blurb here. https://www.plachutta-wollzeile.at/en/tafelspitz

The restaurant is very nice (so slacks and a shirt :slight_smile:) and perfect for a pre-dinner drink.

1 Like

concur - great way to see Berlin and understand it’s history and geography (it’s a fantastic city). The one I went on left near the Zoo /train Station, and it also used the train to get around so you see a large part of Berlin. Do it early so you can work out places to go back to.

@Houli_Dooley - and do the beer gardens as they are done so well there.

1 Like

Fantastic @Bomb_Doe!!
I’ve added Plachutta Wollzeile to the to do list and the walking tours in Berlin seem a no brainer at little cost.
Much appreciated!

1 Like

For something a little kitsch I’d recommend the Trabi tour aswell. My wife and I had a ball doing it

Budapest by Night !

2 Likes

if you want to do Plachutta Wollzeile then best to book - it’s popular

and do do a schnitzel in Vienna - they are excellent

My wife got several perfect shots the night we went out for a boat cruise, probably my favourite Budapest photos and she reminds me constantly about he me photography skills :rofl:

12 Likes

You’ve posted those Budapest shots before Ace. Reminded me how brilliant they are… It’s a fantastic city!

1 Like

It is a very special place at night

1 Like

Agree on schnitzel in Vienna, first time I’ve ever had a schnitzel that didn’t need any condiment for additional taste… it’s really something special.