Travel Thread

We’ve both been before. Shes seen more of the West (LA, Vegas/Grand Canyon, San Diego, we’ve both been to Seattle) and I’ve seen a little more of the east (Philly, NYC, Niagara). We’re keen to get over and see more of the east coast but we’d be arriving thru San Fran. We’ve looked at costings for transport and it’s not too bad in all honesty.

It’s a work in progress so we might drop a city or two once we have a clearer idea of what we want to see/do. Just thought I’d canvas a few Blitzers and get some ideas of what others have enjoyed visiting those areas.

Thanks for the feedback gang.

Certainly easy to do 2-3 days in each of San Fran, Chicago, Boston and DC.

Haven’t really done much of Miami, but I wouldn’t mind having a gig at those Art Deco buildings.

There are plenty of city tours in both San Fran and Chicago. There are just so many things to do in San Fran (Union Square, cable cars, Haight-Ashbury, SoMa, Embarcadero, North Beach, Fisherman’s Wharf, Painted Ladies, Castro district, Golden Gate, Coit Tower, Lombard St) that it’s hard to do them all except on a tour. Those tours usually stop at each spot.

Chicago too…usually start from Grant Park…try to do an evening cruise out onto Lake Michigan…the evening skyline is quite spectacular. And the architecture of the buildings along the Chicago River. Wrigley Field, Magnificent Mile, Water Tower, Art Institute (one art gallery worth going to - Nighthawks, American Gothic, Dorian Grey, lots of Picassos).

Boston has all the historic areas…there’s a straightforward walking tour. Plus Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market. And Fenway Park if you’re that way inclined. Boston Common and Beacon St (Cheers bar is on Beacon St IIRC)

And DC - you’ve got to allow a couple of days for various Smithsonian buildings - I concentrate on the 19th-20th century stuff like the Air Space one, the first US computer (ENIAC ?). Another day can cover Capitol, White House, Ford’s Theater, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, The Reflecxting Pool etc, Arlington.

Thanks Noonan.

We’re not big museum/gallery types, more into seeing historical sites and points of interest, cool architecture and the like.

I’d say at this stage we’d probably skip Chicago and go straight from SF to Boston or DC. Hopefully we can time it so I can get to a Redskins game in DC.

Thanks Noonan.

We’re not big museum/gallery types, more into seeing historical sites and points of interest, cool architecture and the like.

I’d say at this stage we’d probably skip Chicago and go straight from SF to Boston or DC. Hopefully we can time it so I can get to a Redskins game in DC.

Book well ahead for Skins games. My brother was over there for a couple of months at the end of the year and went to several NFL games and reckons the Skins were the hardest to get tickets for as they are pretty much sold out no matter how crap we are going. He loved DC by the way, was only going to spend 2 days there and ended up there for 6.
Got a friend over in DC currently who went to the inauguration and had tickets for one of the balls

Thanks Noonan.

Chicago is cool-architecture-ville.

I’m not an art gallery type either but the Art Institute of Chicago is worth a squiz.

But…so little time…

If you’re in Chicago check out all the sites from the greatest movie of all time.

Lower Wacker Blvd
Hon Richard J Daley Plaza - that’s where they got that Picasso
Rays Music Exchange
Triple Rock Church - to see the light
The bridge in Jackson Park - I hate Illinois Nazis
Joliet Correctional facility
Maybe even head out to the Palace Hotel ballroom

If you're in Chicago check out all the sites from the greatest movie of all time.

Lower Wacker Blvd
Hon Richard J Daley Plaza - that’s where they got that Picasso
Rays Music Exchange
Triple Rock Church - to see the light
The bridge in Jackson Park - I hate Illinois Nazis
Joliet Correctional facility
Maybe even head out to the Palace Hotel ballroom

Day 2

Everywhere in Ferris Bueller’s Day off

Lucky enough to be able to re visit Italy in Sept this year. Can’t wait. Will be going back to a couple of places, and visiting some new ones. My footman, Mr BM is in a weights program ready to haul my suitcase :wink: One of the best places in Europe IMO

In addition to the sights/attractions that others have mentioned, you could check out Harvard in Boston and in DC I really enjoyed the Newseum. The National Archives are interesting - you can see the Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights and Constitution there and they have some great exhibits. The Library of Congress is a beautiful building and can have some interesting exhibits from time to time.

If you are interested in civil war sites Gettysburg and Manassas are only 1 & 1/2 hours and maybe 40 minutes away from DC (in different directions).

90 minutes for Gettyburg is a tad optimistic, I’d say. I went from Philly and took about that long IIRC.

90 minutes for Gettyburg is a tad optimistic, I'd say. I went from Philly and took about that long IIRC.

Gettysburg far closer to DC than Philly

We did it on the way from Philly to DC and it’s definitely closer to DC. Having said that I don’t remember exactly how long it took from Gettysburg to DC but it was less than two hours

90 minutes for Gettyburg is a tad optimistic, I'd say. I went from Philly and took about that long IIRC.

Surely Gettysburg is quite a bit west from Philly. I’d have to check the map to see exactly where DC is relative to Philly. I know they’re reasonably close.

I’ve driven there twice…once through Maryland coming through Frederick and the Antietam battlefield, and once direct from just north of Philly.

Edit: just looked at the map. Yep…my idea of where Philly is from DC was completely skew-wiff.

Edit again: Yep…about 2 and a half from Philly, 1 and a half from DC.

But despite that…the epitome of preserved battlefields. Might be worth having a look at the movie with Jeff Daniels, Martin Sheen and Tom Berenger first. I bought that movie in Gettysburg for $75 US (about $A115) thinking it would never reach Oz. Three weeks after I got home, it was on at the Astor, and 3 months later was available on VHS for $A25.

Surely Gettysburg is quite a bit west from Philly. I’d have to check the map to see exactly where DC is relative to Philly. I know they’re reasonably close.

I’ve driven there twice…once through Maryland coming through Frederick and the Antietam battlefield, and once direct from just north of Philly.

Edit: just looked at the map. Yep…my idea of where Philly is from DC was completely skew-wiff.

Edit again: Yep…about 2 and a half from Philly, 1 and a half from DC.

But despite that…the epitome of preserved battlefields. Might be worth having a look at the movie with Jeff Daniels, Martin Sheen and Tom Berenger first. I bought that movie in Gettysburg for $75 US (about $A115) thinking it would never reach Oz. Three weeks after I got home, it was on at the Astor, and 3 months later was available on VHS for $A25.

Only knew that because Im looking at going next year to the US and have done that much research on it. Trying to see as much as possible without rushing through too quickly.
We are either going to have to get more time off or go back at a later date

Anyone been to Borneo?

Yes. Which part of Borneo you looking at.
Haven’t done too much of Indonesian Borneo (Kalimantan) but have seen a bit of Malaysian Borneo and a brief visit to Brunei

No idea. Going to Bali for mum’s 60th, and want to back it up with a bit more exploration of the area. Open to any and all recommendations. What were the highlights?

The 2 states of Malaysia on Borneo are Sarawak and Sabah. Kuching is the main city of Sarawak and is a pretty cool place, some real good ocean front dining and the promenade always has something going on. Plenty of markets in the City aswell. Definitely a good place to fly into and base yourself. Not far out of the City is a pretty cool wildlife centre of which the name escapes me right now but they take in orphaned animals and you can get close up to orangutans. Heaps of NP’s in the area with hiking trails and some great beaches. Kota Kinabalu (KK) is the big city in Sabah and whilst it’s not as good of a city as Kuching it’s still a pretty cool place and is actually my favourite out of the two as it has by far the better scenery. Kinabalu NP is only about an hour outside KK and if you are into long trekking plenty of people climb the mountain which is a 2 day job. It looks awesome but I’ve never done it. Sabah has plenty of awesome beaches and little islands dotted off the coast and has plenty of NP’s also. Sandakan is also in Sabah and has a interesting memorial park in honour of the people who died in the “death marches”. It’s a pretty humbling experience but I’d recommend going for a look. The Rafflesia reserve at Tumbunin is pretty cool if you happen to be there when the flowers are blooming, ■■■■■■ gigantic!!
My preference would be Sabah over Sarawak as I think the scenery and wilderness is better. The beaches in both are nice but nowhere near the quality of elsewhere in Asia. Also on Borneo is the country of Brunei, not a heap to do there but interesting for a couple of days, the mosque and royal palace in BSB are quite a sight.
Have you been to Lombok?
If not I’d recommend that over Borneo, pristine beaches and some cracking scenery. Some great waterfalls and mountain areas. Most tourist agencies will try to sell you a boat ride from Bali to Lombok which is about $80 each way and takes a few hours but Garuda have several flights a day for $25-40 one way and the flight takes about 35 minutes. Can rent a car and the island is very easy to navigate. Can pull over at the hundreds of secluded beaches. Amazingly cheap place too

All that.

I wanted a wildlife trip so head up the Kinabantabg (sp) and we saw over 100 specieas of birds, 17 primates, pigmy elephants, orang utan (about 10 feet away). Unbelievable and won’t be there long if the palm plantations continue.

Lucky enough to be able to re visit Italy in Sept this year. Can't wait. Will be going back to a couple of places, and visiting some new ones. My footman, Mr BM is in a weights program ready to haul my suitcase ;) One of the best places in Europe IMO
Where are you off to BM? I might be able to give a few reccomendations for certain areas. Although, IIRC you've been before?
Anyone been to Borneo?

Yes. Which part of Borneo you looking at.
Haven’t done too much of Indonesian Borneo (Kalimantan) but have seen a bit of Malaysian Borneo and a brief visit to Brunei

No idea. Going to Bali for mum’s 60th, and want to back it up with a bit more exploration of the area. Open to any and all recommendations. What were the highlights?

The 2 states of Malaysia on Borneo are Sarawak and Sabah. Kuching is the main city of Sarawak and is a pretty cool place, some real good ocean front dining and the promenade always has something going on. Plenty of markets in the City aswell. Definitely a good place to fly into and base yourself. Not far out of the City is a pretty cool wildlife centre of which the name escapes me right now but they take in orphaned animals and you can get close up to orangutans. Heaps of NP’s in the area with hiking trails and some great beaches. Kota Kinabalu (KK) is the big city in Sabah and whilst it’s not as good of a city as Kuching it’s still a pretty cool place and is actually my favourite out of the two as it has by far the better scenery. Kinabalu NP is only about an hour outside KK and if you are into long trekking plenty of people climb the mountain which is a 2 day job. It looks awesome but I’ve never done it. Sabah has plenty of awesome beaches and little islands dotted off the coast and has plenty of NP’s also. Sandakan is also in Sabah and has a interesting memorial park in honour of the people who died in the “death marches”. It’s a pretty humbling experience but I’d recommend going for a look. The Rafflesia reserve at Tumbunin is pretty cool if you happen to be there when the flowers are blooming, ■■■■■■ gigantic!!
My preference would be Sabah over Sarawak as I think the scenery and wilderness is better. The beaches in both are nice but nowhere near the quality of elsewhere in Asia. Also on Borneo is the country of Brunei, not a heap to do there but interesting for a couple of days, the mosque and royal palace in BSB are quite a sight.
Have you been to Lombok?
If not I’d recommend that over Borneo, pristine beaches and some cracking scenery. Some great waterfalls and mountain areas. Most tourist agencies will try to sell you a boat ride from Bali to Lombok which is about $80 each way and takes a few hours but Garuda have several flights a day for $25-40 one way and the flight takes about 35 minutes. Can rent a car and the island is very easy to navigate. Can pull over at the hundreds of secluded beaches. Amazingly cheap place too

All that.

I wanted a wildlife trip so head up the Kinabantabg (sp) and we saw over 100 specieas of birds, 17 primates, pigmy elephants, orang utan (about 10 feet away). Unbelievable and won’t be there long if the palm plantations continue.

Was this an organised tour? Where did it go from?

Just back from an epic 5 weeks in Mexico with the family. Covered lots of ground in a very active & full trip.
Trip reports below for those interested. I’ll post some pics in time.

https://lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forums/americas-mexico/mexico/trip-report-mex-city
https://lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forums/americas-mexico/mexico/trip-report2-oaxaca
https://lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forums/americas-mexico/mexico/trip-report-3-cerro-pelon-butterfly-sanctuary-roma-norte
https://lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forums/americas-mexico/mexico/trip-report-4-palenque-8-12-jan
https://lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forums/americas-mexico/mexico/trip-report-5-yucatan-12-21-jan

Was the food better than Taco Bill?

Was the food better than Taco Bill?
Just a bit. But aside from a few exceptions the food wasn't great. Turns out I quite like the grasshoppers tho.