Travel Thread

Off to Japan in August, first time. Can’t wait

I should do more short trips in Europe while I’m here. I usually neglect the north of Germany too because I don’t like the long drive and if I’m flying I might as well go to another country, which is often cheaper anyway. It’s also quicker to drive to say Czech Rep than it is to Berlin.

So saying that, the wife and I are going to Berlin for a few days in a couple of weeks time. I’ve been before, about 8 years ago. I’ll be staying really close to the (Rob) Halford Bar, because that place was awesome \m/

Berlin is a cool city and I look forward to seeing it again. Mrs München Don has never been there either.

I was there just before the Wall went down and eerie crossing on a tour to GDR, and could not go on the then ghost autobahn connection. Nor could I fly Lufthsnsa, or direct flights and opted for a train, getting everything checked at the East West horder. Must be so different now. There was a demo in the west sector, people puling up pavestones, , did not speak a word of Germsn, but knew to get out of there… It was all quite romantic, drawing on Isherwood’s I am a camera , visiting the cabarets.
Bonn, the then capital of West Germany, was described to me as having a Rhineland soft identity whereas Belrlin reflected the real Germany. the cultural heart of central Europe . I have been told also that Berlin is still the hard realist city. that it was during the years of the blockade and Wall.

I was there just before the Wall went down and eerie crossing on a tour to GDR, and could not go on the then ghost autobahn connection. Nor could I fly Lufthsnsa, or direct flights and opted for a train, getting everything checked at the East West horder. Must be so different now. There was a demo in the west sector, people puling up pavestones, , did not speak a word of Germsn, but knew to get out of there.. It was all quite romantic, drawing on Isherwood's I am a camera , visiting the cabarets. Bonn, the then capital of West Germany, was described to me as having a Rhineland soft identity whereas Belrlin reflected the real Germany. the cultural heart of central Europe . I have been told also that Berlin is still the hard realist city. that it was during the years of the blockade and Wall.

That would have been quite some experience back then, I’d assume it’s changed quite a lot. It’s certainly a very alternative city. More hipster than Fitzroy… nah not possible (and not that I’ve been there for a while either)

Hey München, if you want to do something typically strange look up “Monster Kabinett”. Another good thing I enjoyed were the bunker tours. http://berliner-unterwelten.de/home.1.1.html
Tour 1 is great.
I like Berlin, but ■■■■■■ hell it’s filthy.
Enjoy :smile:

I did tour 2 of the unterwelten. Good stuff.

I should do more short trips in Europe while I'm here. I usually neglect the north of Germany too because I don't like the long drive and if I'm flying I might as well go to another country, which is often cheaper anyway. It's also quicker to drive to say Czech Rep than it is to Berlin.

So saying that, the wife and I are going to Berlin for a few days in a couple of weeks time. I’ve been before, about 8 years ago. I’ll be staying really close to the (Rob) Halford Bar, because that place was awesome \m/

Berlin is a cool city and I look forward to seeing it again. Mrs München Don has never been there either.

I’ll need your opinion of Berlin, or Portable Mink’s. We’ve got 2 full days in Berlin before a big tour, and were going to fill it in with 3 walking tours from
insidertour.com/tours.php

We were looking at the WW2 tour, the Cold War tour and the Berlin Now one.

I think Dachau and Auschwitz are on the other bigger tours, and to tell the truth, I’m not that interested in Jewish stuff with the Jewish Berlin tour. I lived in and around Caulfield for nearly 40 years. So no need for a couple of them.

8 Australian RAAF people were in Buchenwald for a while, some having been transferred from a Gestapo prison in Paris after D Day. Germans called them terrorists along with RAF people there, were in danger of being strung up, but got transferred to Stalag Luft 3, then another one further west, then had to march half starved to the west after the Russian advance.

I should do more short trips in Europe while I'm here. I usually neglect the north of Germany too because I don't like the long drive and if I'm flying I might as well go to another country, which is often cheaper anyway. It's also quicker to drive to say Czech Rep than it is to Berlin.

I’ll need your opinion of Berlin, or Portable Mink’s. We’ve got 2 full days in Berlin before a big tour, and were going to fill it in with 3 walking tours from

I think Dachau and Auschwitz are on the other bigger tours, and to tell the truth, I’m not that interested in Jewish stuff with the Jewish Berlin tour. I lived in and around Caulfield for nearly 40 years. So no need for a couple of them.

I did the Insider tour last year with that company (guide was Barnaby). I found it really good, the city has so much history and that company did a great job of bringing it to life for me. The insider tour is the starter tour containing a bit of everything(ww2, holocaust and cold war) which i then used on my later days to explore in more detail some areas. Cant comment on the ones you have picked but I could easily see how you can do specific walks concentrating on each period, as there is so much to cover.

In general Berlin is a very easy city to discover things on your own if you didn’t want to do 3 tours. All sites/museums/galleries etc are in English. Maps highlighting important sites and even suggested walks are readily available. Also the subway is very convenient to get around.

You can buy a single pass that gets you into nearly all the museums/galleries, which is good value if that appeals.

I did the Insider tour last year with that company (guide was Barnaby). I found it really good, the city has so much history and that company did a great job of bringing it to life for me. The insider tour is the starter tour containing a bit of everything(ww2, holocaust and cold war) which i then used on my later days to explore in more detail some areas. Cant comment on the ones you have picked but I could easily see how you can do specific walks concentrating on each period, as there is so much to cover.

In general Berlin is a very easy city to discover things on your own if you didn’t want to do 3 tours. All sites/museums/galleries etc are in English. Maps highlighting important sites and even suggested walks are readily available. Also the subway is very convenient to get around.

You can buy a single pass that gets you into nearly all the museums/galleries, which is good value if that appeals.

Ta!
Hey München, if you want to do something typically strange look up "Monster Kabinett". Another good thing I enjoyed were the bunker tours. http://berliner-unterwelten.de/home.1.1.html Tour 1 is great. I like Berlin, but ■■■■■■ hell it's filthy. Enjoy :smile:
I did tour 2 of the unterwelten. Good stuff.
Yes, I'll definitely be doing the unterwelten tour, I'll just have to work out which one! Probably Tour 2 as it as the word "ruins" in it and the wife loves that stuff.

Last time there I did a Bike tour too that went to various sites along the former wall. It was great, but it was organised for me so I don’t know which group it was, but I assume there would be heaps. I doubt they would be running right now though, as it’s cold as fark

But if you want to go to the Pergamon, and not queue for a long time, get that independently online (with a set entry time).

Note that the eponymous Altar there is not on display for several more years.

Reichstag dome is worth visiting even if doesn’t have the most scenic viewpoint. Free, but book online in advance (excellent audioguide included). That, plus a general tour, is a good thing to do on the first day.

If you like reading, the Checkpoint Charlie Museum will keep you busy for hours. It’s also open late (10pm), so you’re not sacrificing any other options going there.

Computerspielemuseum, if that’s your kind of thing.

Anyone been to Borneo?

Sabah is beautiful. A hike up Mt Kinabalu is worth it and isn’t too challenging, a reasonable level of fitness will get you to 4100m for sunrise. The main city (Kota Kinabalu) is ok as a base and there’s plenty of great places to stay in town or on the outskirts.

You can get some really cheap flights around Europe. There are a number of Airlines who fly from the smaller cities, often much cheaper than the train. I flew last October from London to a small place in Poland for 19 quid with RyanAir, and then after a few days to Frankfurt with Luthansa subsidiary’s for 30 euro. The train trip would have been over nine hours through Berlin.

That said, Berlin is a great place to visit, and so is Austria.

You can get some really cheap flights around Europe. There are a number of Airlines who fly from the smaller cities, often much cheaper than the train. I flew last October from London to a small place in Poland for 19 quid with RyanAir, and then after a few days to Frankfurt with Luthansa subsidiary’s for 30 euro. The train trip would have been over nine hours through Berlin.

That said, Berlin is a great place to visit, and so is Austria.

This is very true, but unfortunately Munich is the most expensive airport in germany and cheap flights aren’t common. Ryan Air doesn’t land there either, and I’m not travelling 2 hours to use Memmingen airport for it.

My next trip will be to Dublin for a wedding. The cheapest return flight on offer is €165 return.

Edit: and one of the reasons we chose to go to Berlin soon is because it was the cheapest flight in europe available at €125 return. Certainly not your 19 quid

Considering a NZ trip in later this year with family. What are people’s thoughts on the North island vs the south for things to do and see?

Considering a NZ trip in later this year with family. What are people's thoughts on the North island vs the south for things to do and see?

Both are great, but SI probably edges NI for scenic grandeur & soft adventure if that’s what you are after.

Our last major trip there was when my daughter was 10. We spent xmas with family in AKL & WLG, took the ferry to Picton, did the Queen Charlotte Sound trek over NY, then picked up a hire car & drove down the west coast via glacier country to Wanaka & Queenstown.

How old are the kids? Will you be looking for an active holiday - e.g. trekking? rafting? glacier walking?
When would you be travelling? And for how long?

Considering a NZ trip in later this year with family. What are people's thoughts on the North island vs the south for things to do and see?

Both are great, but SI probably edges NI for scenic grandeur & soft adventure if that’s what you are after.

Our last major trip there was when my daughter was 10. We spent xmas with family in AKL & WLG, took the ferry to Picton, did the Queen Charlotte Sound trek over NY, then picked up a hire car & drove down the west coast via glacier country to Wanaka & Queenstown.

How old are the kids? Will you be looking for an active holiday - e.g. trekking? rafting? glacier walking?
When would you be travelling? And for how long?

Looking to go late this year (not a skier) for a couple of weeks when the kids will be 10 and 11. Will probably be pretty active without going on long treks but keen to see a bit of scenery like volcanoes, glaciers etc. And do some of the adventure type stuff.

I would try to include the Queenstown area. There are lots of soft-adventure options suitable for active kids from there - day walks on the Routeburn Track, the Luge, horse trekking, low-risk white water rafting. Lots of accommodation & food options, direct flights from Oz, easy access to Milford / Doubtful Sounds, Wanaka area, Fox Glacier etc…

Are you keen on a bit of a road trip? If so, you could fly in & out of Queenstown, pick up a hire car & do a loop up to Christchurch via Mt Cook, across the alps to Greymouth via Arthurs Pass, down the West Coast to Fox Glacier (do the glacier walk & check out Gillespie’s beach for glacier-fed debris), over Haast Pass to Wanaka & back to Queenstown. This would also allow a side trip to Milford Sound (great drive) and, depending on recovery from the earthquake, perhaps a trip up the East Coast from ChCh to Kaikoura for whale watching.

Depending on your interests, the North of the SI is also worthwhile (Marlborough Sounds, Able Tasman NP…).

Of course the volcanoes are in the Central NI near Lake Taupo & Rotorua. This is also a great area, but with 2 weeks, perhaps best saved for another trip, unless you want to skim and/or hop. Other parts of NI for consideration - Waitomo Caves, Bay of Islands, Coromandel Peninsula, West Coast surf beaches (Piha, Whatipu, Karekare), Auckland (beautiful harbour & strong South Pacific culture but sprawly), Wellington (more obviously cultural with Te Papa Museum & movie industry).

Can’t go wrong really. Unless it rains.

It appears that our Best of Germany tour in Aug-Sep isn’t going ahead…presumably due to lack of interest. Already paid for it too, together with Insight’s 2 tour discount.

To fit in with the times, looks like Globus’s German Vistas is the best alternative. It misses the western part of Germany though, including Frankfurt and the Rhine. The rest of it is much the same. Not sure whether we’d be flying into Frankfurt or Berlin, but a lady we’re travelling with spent more than 20 years in the USAF. She should be able to rustle up some old colleagues who had experience flying to Germany…whether they landed or not is a different matter…although they may well have flown to West Berlin in the old days pre-Wall coming down. She also spent 20+ years in the CIA so that bit of travelling around Checkpoint Charlie should be covered too.

The end of this tour has to link up with the start of the next tour of Central Europe starting in Prague, so 3 days to get from Munich to Prague. It’s a train trip of 5-6 hours. Might be looking for suggestions how to fill in those 3 days. Dachau isn’t an option because that’s included in the tour. Might even have a chance to pick up Koala’s Russian dolls in Essendon outfits, near the bridge in Prague. Three days under the table at the Hofbrauhaus isn’t an option either since my desistation from alcoholic beverages. Wouldn’t need to order Ein Stein to work that out.