Travel Thread

If the tour only gives you limited time in Prague, I’d head there and spend the extra time checking out what is a truly magnificent city

If the tour only gives you limited time in Prague, I'd head there and spend the extra time checking out what is a truly magnificent city

Yeh, was going to suggest this too.

Can any of our China ex pats advise on the weather in Beijing mid June?
Seems like it’s the hot season but is it so unbearable to put me off going?
Through a friend in the travel industry I have scored return tix from Adelaide with China Southern for under $300 so looking at doing just a 8-10 day flying visit

I’ve been there mid-July (2006) and it was not an issue at all. You need to remember the sun is unlikely to make an appearance :*

Seriously, it was like two weeks in, at the Yellow River, before I saw it.

We had two kids from near Shanghai stay with us for a week. They were in total awe of the night sky - never seen stars before.

It appears that our Best of Germany tour in Aug-Sep isn't going ahead...presumably due to lack of interest. Already paid for it too, together with Insight's 2 tour discount.

To fit in with the times, looks like Globus’s German Vistas is the best alternative. It misses the western part of Germany though, including Frankfurt and the Rhine. The rest of it is much the same. Not sure whether we’d be flying into Frankfurt or Berlin, but a lady we’re travelling with spent more than 20 years in the USAF. She should be able to rustle up some old colleagues who had experience flying to Germany…whether they landed or not is a different matter…although they may well have flown to West Berlin in the old days pre-Wall coming down. She also spent 20+ years in the CIA so that bit of travelling around Checkpoint Charlie should be covered too.

The end of this tour has to link up with the start of the next tour of Central Europe starting in Prague, so 3 days to get from Munich to Prague. It’s a train trip of 5-6 hours. Might be looking for suggestions how to fill in those 3 days. Dachau isn’t an option because that’s included in the tour. Might even have a chance to pick up Koala’s Russian dolls in Essendon outfits, near the bridge in Prague. Three days under the table at the Hofbrauhaus isn’t an option either since my desistation from alcoholic beverages. Wouldn’t need to order Ein Stein to work that out.

Cesky Krumlov?

Looking for 3 nights somewhere in Victoria. Suggestions? Rest and relaxation preferred. Maybe a day walk. Like waterfalls or sounds of big crashing waves.

Around Mt Buffalo for waterfall, could combine with King Valley gourmet wine and food outings, Pizzini do packages

It appears that our Best of Germany tour in Aug-Sep isn't going ahead...presumably due to lack of interest. Already paid for it too, together with Insight's 2 tour discount.

To fit in with the times, looks like Globus’s German Vistas is the best alternative. It misses the western part of Germany though, including Frankfurt and the Rhine. The rest of it is much the same. Not sure whether we’d be flying into Frankfurt or Berlin, but a lady we’re travelling with spent more than 20 years in the USAF. She should be able to rustle up some old colleagues who had experience flying to Germany…whether they landed or not is a different matter…although they may well have flown to West Berlin in the old days pre-Wall coming down. She also spent 20+ years in the CIA so that bit of travelling around Checkpoint Charlie should be covered too.

The end of this tour has to link up with the start of the next tour of Central Europe starting in Prague, so 3 days to get from Munich to Prague. It’s a train trip of 5-6 hours. Might be looking for suggestions how to fill in those 3 days. Dachau isn’t an option because that’s included in the tour. Might even have a chance to pick up Koala’s Russian dolls in Essendon outfits, near the bridge in Prague. Three days under the table at the Hofbrauhaus isn’t an option either since my desistation from alcoholic beverages. Wouldn’t need to order Ein Stein to work that out.

Cesky Krumlov?

We do Cesky Krumlov on the second tour from Prague to Warsaw…but thanks anyway.

Looking for 3 nights somewhere in Victoria. Suggestions? Rest and relaxation preferred. Maybe a day walk. Like waterfalls or sounds of big crashing waves.

Johanna & the Otways?

Cesky Krumlov?

Train it through Austria? Munich to Innsbruck is very scenic, as is the Semmerling area.
Salzburg for Sound of Music & Mozart?

Cesky Krumlov?

Train it through Austria? Munich to Innsbruck is very scenic, as is the Semmerling area.

Might be worth breaking the trip into two…I’ve been to Salzburg and Vienna is included in the Prague-Warsaw tour.

Cesky Krumlov?

I love the German Alps. We try to go walking there every weekend in summer if we can. If you’re not up for walks the are always the cable cars that take you up. I think a lot of tourists go to Garmisch-Partenkirchen because there are tours there from Munich, but pretty much every mountain has a cable if you can get to it.

Also @Alan_Noonan_10 are you including Neuschwanstein castle? Or have you done that?

Has anybody ever tried doing an overnight bus?

eg:
22:40
08:10
Munich central bus station
Torino (Vittorio Emanuele)
9:30 HRS.Direct
32.90 €

Or would that be a bad idea comfort wise?

No train with couchette? There used to be one from Northern Europe that dropped off carriages all over Europe including Italy.

No train with couchette? There used to be one from Northern Europe that dropped off carriages all over Europe including Italy.
Just wondering because the bus is way cheaper. Flights can be cheaper than train (we also can't get the foreigner discounts)

Cesky Krumlov?

I love the German Alps. We try to go walking there every weekend in summer if we can. If you’re not up for walks the are always the cable cars that take you up. I think a lot of tourists go to Garmisch-Partenkirchen because there are tours there from Munich, but pretty much every mountain has a cable if you can get to it.

Also @Alan_Noonan_10 are you including Neuschwanstein castle? Or have you done that?

Neuschwanstein and the Schwarzewald are in the tour…

Cesky Krumlov?

Cool. Neuschwanstein is great

Cesky Krumlov?

I’ve been past there before back in 1989, but not inside.

Not sure that doing Munich to Prague via Austria is the go. We do Vienna on the tour. Been to Salzburg before and not sure I’d bother again. I’ll need to check the map, I’d say.

Cesky Krumlov?

I’ve been past there before back in 1989, but not inside.

Not sure that doing Munich to Prague via Austria is the go. We do Vienna on the tour. Been to Salzburg before and not sure I’d bother again. I’ll need to check the map, I’d say.

Nuremberg is on the way. I like it, it’s got lots of nice buildings, it’s kind of like a theme of the town to look like this:

It’s also one of those towns that claim to have invented a lot of things like the bratwurst and ginger bread.

Pilsen could also be a stop over. The whole town smells like malty goodness and has some good underground tours. And the brewery tour is also cool, unless you really hate beer (I think you mentioned you’re not a drinker though.

Otherwise Bamburg is supposed to be nice, but I’ve never been there. Also Bayerisherwald is nice.