Travel Thread

We finish our tour in Munich last couple of days of August. Then heading to Nuremberg for a couple of days and onto Prague.

1 Like

Wow, just came in here to post/ask about Bavaria, and find itā€™s the latest topic.

Iā€™m thinking about a trip to Europe next year already, and flights from Japan to Europe are easiest/cheapest to Frankfurt, Rome, or London. Weā€™ll have a 6-year-old and two one-year-olds in tow, so I want a trip that steers clear of big city mayhem and public transport and is more scenic, relaxing and fun for the eldest kid too.

I was originally thinking Tuscany and up to Venice, but the more I read about Bavaria I reckon driving from Frankfurt to Munich would be ace. Has anyone done this Romantic Road and castles area and can recommend it? Iā€™m thinking Neuschwanstein, Rothenburg are must sees, but does anyone have fave towns, castles, or palaces in that vicinity?

One good thing Iā€™ve found about big cities, is that even when theyā€™re crowded, you still have pleanty of room to move. In small towns when itā€™s crowded, it can get a bit hectic, I experienced this in Taormina a few years ago. However if youā€™re out of season, youā€™ll not have any issues anyway.

Aircon? It was 35 degrees yesterday and we donā€™t have aircon! It was fine :slight_smile:

Kƶnigssee is great. Iā€™d recommend staying at Berchtesgaden and doing the day trip from there.

Neuschwanstein is awesome as said. Very pretty castle.

The Alps are great, many people visit Garmisch-Partenkirchen as itā€™s easy to get to. Anywhere in the Alps are cool for doing some Hiking, and best in Summer for that. I like the Kampenwand personally.

Still want to go to Rothenburg. But itā€™s a whole 2 hours away :wink:

Check out Flixbus for travel. I went to Prague last month for 15 euros.

3 Likes

I like Bamberg. They have a really unique smokey beer, and this thing looks cool:

Another town I like is Landshut, just a nice old town, but only if itā€™s on the way. Wasserburg am Inn is nice, cheap hotel at the top of the town called Gasthof Huberwirt am Kellerberg is recommended.

And as said before, for me itā€™s all about the Alps. Nice and quiet if you donā€™t go to the hot spots. Super pretty

4 Likes

Weā€™ve pencilled in two days in Nuremberg, after spending an extra day in Munich at the end of the trip. Then from Nuremberg to Prague. All by train.

Bamberg is really close to Nuremberg if you can fit it in. But not on the same trainline unfortunately

Aecht Schlenkerla! We get those in Japan, sensational beers. I can see me dragging my wife and kids to all the best beer stops in Bavaria already.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the one! Really interesting beer, but for me not one that I can drink too many of.

If you like Weissbier, Kloster Andechs is a good stop over. Most of the best Weisbier is made outside of Munich (lagers are best there).
Itā€™s a cool monastery, and you can also get an excellent Schweinshaxen there.

1 Like

Its becoming quite popular lately. Its a nice spot. Are you flying into Manila or Cebu first? Ive spent a bit of time on Panay when a friend of mine lived there and popped over to Boracay a few times.
Im heading to that part of the globe next week, mainly to visit my mother in law who is quite ill, but I will shoot down to Bohol for a few days to an eco resort a friend owns. You can see Duterteā€™s martial law in Mindanao from there on a clear day. Hopefully the closest I will ever get to that madness.

Sydney to Manila direct then on to Roxas City. Staying just outside of Roxas with family of the couple we are travelling with. Have changed plans slightly as we are now going for 3 weeks and will do Boracay for 4 nights and Palawan for 6 nights. Will then split a few nights between Manila and Alabang and then 4-5 nights around Tagaytay and Lake Taal

Buses or anything like that? Sort of pencilled in things like the trial place, the rally place, a gingerbread place and a bratwurst place. But there was something in the Rage recently re 48 hours in Nuremberg so will have a squiz at that.

Not the Age, the Independentā€¦

Sorry, I meant that itā€™s not on the way to Prague. You can get the train there from Nuremberg, itā€™s only 45mins.

@Munchen_Don thanks for all that info. I will take it on board :slight_smile:

No problem. I wish I could think of more. I should do more German exploring myself, but usually just go to the Alps on weekends or visit other countries.

One more:

2 Likes

Can confirm.

Bamberg is brillaint.

3 Likes

Palawan is fantastic. If you can, head out to a little place called Port Barton. On the western side on the edge of the China Sea. We stayed on a small island off the coast there in 2015. It was one of the most pristine tropical places Ive ever been to. The owner became a friend and although he has now sold and moved back to the States he said the new owner is a mate of his so not much has changed. Paradise Cove, Cacnipa Island. Check it out.
El Nido and Coron are getting pretty crowded these days.
Taal is pretty cool, although the island the volcano is on is pretty dirty, or it was last time I went.
Manila is one of the Worlds greatest ā– ā– ā– ā–  holes, althouth the people are generally pretty cool.
Enjoy mate, should be a blast.

Ohā€¦I nearly forgotā€¦if you like a cold beer suss out the little micro brewery in puerto princessa when you hit palawan. Very tasty and icy cold.

Anyone here been to the Hokusai exhibition in Melbourne?

Mrs Fox and I are off to USA on business in plate November, she in Atlanta and I am in Houston.

Planning to meet for a few days in New Orleans, any tips on what is a must-do, must-see there ?

The food! Sensational, particularly if you like food a bit spicy, and with shellfish. If you recognise the name of the food as something you can get in Australia, ignore it (except for the bread and butter pudding). No need to go to expensive restaurants. Thereā€™s too much great Nawlins food, like gumbo, jambalaya, crawfish (yabbies) Ć©touffĆ©e, shrimp creole, muffulettas, barbecued shrimp, poā€™boys (think baguettes or subs or gyros or hoagies).

Oh yeahā€¦thereā€™s the mighty Mississippi and the music too. Go for a stroll down Bourbon Street, and for breakfast at CafĆ© du Monde for a cafĆ© au lait and a beignet, and afterwards to the French Market next door.

D-Day museum in (I think) Camp Street, created by the writer of Band of Brothers. JFK stuff around the same area. St Charles Avenue streetcar through the Garden District. Donā€™t go for a gawp tour through the Lower Ninth Ward (the locals donā€™t like it). St Louis cemetery on I think North Rampart. Congo Square where Louis Armstrong used to play piano in a brothel is up there.

There are two police stations in the French Quarter. Think of them as opposite corners of a rectangle. Donā€™t go outside that area at night or alone. Itā€™s not particularly safe.

Apart from that, I got nothing.

2 Likes