Travel Thread

Anyone else use the Virgin inflight wntertainment app and fight it to be massively pox? Why bother having it if the movies won’t play or they don’t update the album selection. POS.

I’m in Ho Chi Min City tomorrow for three days. And for some reason I’ve never gone to a place less prepared. I have accommodation booked and only one plan: eat Pho.

What else should I be doing?

Had a Brisbane > Sydney flight on Qantas the other week and it’s (apparently) their only Wi-Fi enabled plane. It was super fast, simple to connect and awesome.

Take a day trip to the Cu Chi tunnels. Take a boat down the Mekong River. Check out the independence palace. Eat pho or just eat - the food’s fantastic.

1 Like

Yeah qantas aren’t too bad.

Now that I’m gold status* with Virgin, it seems to work better, so I don’t know if it’s cause I sit towards the front of the plane, as I do with Qantas.

*about the only perk of constant work travel, but comes in handy for travel with the family.

Fi’deen dollar is boocoo money, but this l’il gal can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.

The old US Embassy will bring back memories, as will the war museum. Notre Dame Cathedral, but check if it is open firsty. Also, don’t leave any cameras with anyone, they are scams, and you will never see the camera again.

Try a Bum Mi, local bagette. they are delivered fresh every morning. l had one years ago, that had 15 ingredients loaded with chopsticks for 20 cents.Also look for some Coffee Giat, the way they drink it in Hue on the central coast. best coffee l have ever had.

You probably have your accommodation sorted out already. Consider Miss Loi’s for future trips, l have been staying at her place since 1998, and won’t stay anywhere else.

1 Like

XO food tour is awesome:

Nice!

Booked!!

Just got into tokyo. ■■■■■■ humid at the moment. Need to kill 6 hours before we check in, staying near Ginza station. Any quick tips?

Welcome, and yes it is disgustingly humid here in summer.

It depends how you want to kill your time and also how much longer you have in the city. Ginza is known for higher end, shopping, eating and drinking. You could stroll down to the Imperial Palace and have a wander around there (note: there is not a great deal to see as you can’t go into the palace, but the grounds are nice and has a nice view of the skyline of Marunouchi / Otemachi).

You could jump on a train and check out one of Shibuya, Shinjuku, Yoyogi, Harajuku, Omotesando, etc (all in the west). Two of my favourite ways to kill time is to let off some steam in the batting cages in Kabukicho (Shinjuku) and wander around Shinjuku Gyoen (Tokyo’s botantical gardens). Yoyogi Park is great for people watching - and you can visit the Meiji shrine while there - but I would perhaps save that for the weekend when at its best.

You are also relatively close to Asukusa, home to the Asakusa Shrine (the most famous in Tokyo) - just head north on a train. You can check out the Skytree and Ueno Park while up there. I would probably save this though for when you have a bit more energy - it is the most (and perhaps one of the only) touristy parts of the city and can get pretty full on / busy. Saving it for Monday if you are still here would be ideal. Kappabashi - the home of cooking supplies (in particular, plastic/wax food) is worth a stroll and a laugh in that area also.

It goes without saying that you are close to Tsukiji fish market and you should check that out one morning.

Also recommend checking out a baseball game while here. The Tokyo Swallows play in a small stadium in the middle of the city and the atmosphere is great on a summer night.

2 Likes

Thanks.
We ended up going to the fish market and then one of the gardens as well. So hot!!!

I thought I read that the fish market was now closed to visitors - did I misunderstand or has it been re-opened?

Wasn’t at the wholesale one. I think it just moved, maybe that was when it was closed for visitors?

Yeh, Tsukiji is the one I was thinking of -

I’ve been doing the bus tour of Berlin today. We really only concentrated on Topography of Terrors, Checkpoint Charlie and the Berlin Wall Memorial. Notsure there’s much more Cold War stuff I need to see, although we’ll see the bridge of spies if we go to Potsdam.

We got in from Frankfurt yesterday afternoon and walked through the Tiergarten to the Brandenburg Gate and back again.

My feet are sore.

2 Likes

Berlin is such a cool city with so much to see and do. I’m not surprised you have sore feet!

Enjoy the trip Noonan

NOLA - Get along to a football game, great experience. We went down to the marshs and took an air boat tour, that was a lot of fun exploring the gators.

We stayed in the French quarters and to be honest it was fairly underwhelming. It stinks, full of drunk people and the food is average. From a safety point of view do not venture outside of the French quarters at night, the crime is rife and tourists are targeted.

There was some great vegan food we experienced down at the market.

Edit - it is also really depressing that only a stone throw away, there are areas that have not been rebuild from hurricane Katrina. It’s like you are in a 3rd world country

Hey mate, is there anywhere in Tokyo to watch the game tomorrow?

If we win I think I’ll be in Osaka for our first final

@Gnik did you tell me a while ago there is an Aussie sports bar in Osaka to watch AFL games?

The bar in Osaka is the Coolabah.