Travel Thread

Hobgoblin in Roppongi will show it. If it is not on then just ask at the bar and they will put it on.

1 Like

Thanks heaps mate.

4 stops from me as well.

That’s actually easy to remember running enough*

*in fruit game

900m from my hotel.

Bring it

Well, thanks for nothing, @Munchen_Don.

After fine sunny weather all the way southwards in Germany, we get to Munich and it’s ■■■■■■ down.

Went to Dachau yesterday, which was more a concentration camp for intellectuals, homosexuals and political prisoners than a mass extermination camp…not to say plenty of prisoners weren’t worked to death or executed. They had a crematorium, which they had ro upgrade but they were relatively small.

Today, we went to Berchtesgaden, the Eagle’s Nest, but the weather was so ordinary you couldn’t see 30 metres. Have to rewatch the last episodes of Band of Brothers.

The tour has just finished this evening and we’ll be spending tomorrow at the technological museum, and maybe finishing off at the Hofbräuhaus.

Sunday we train it to Nuremberg for a couple of days, then to Prague for the start of a new tour through Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia and finish in Warsaw.

1 Like

Wow, yeah pretty good timing, it’s been fantastic weather til now. Sounds like you brought your ■■■■■■ Melbourne weather with you.

Looking at your schedule and weather forecast, it’ll probably fine up just as you leave Germany. Looks like we saw you coming

Loving Japan at the moment. Tokyo is breathtaking, Disneyland not as much, but of a let down but still ok. Off to Kyoto today then Osaka on Wednesday.

1 Like

Technological museum (Deutsches Museum) is pretty good. Most exhibits have English explanations. Pretty well everything technical.

Museum is on an island in the fast-flowing Isar river.

Went to the Hofbräuhaus last night. Only there for an hour or so, and the biggest damn pretzels in the world. Plenty of salt crystals so no wonder it was making me thirsty.

Ran into an Aussie vet from the Sunshine Coast. Good times!

1 Like

Nuremberg is well worth a visit.

Did the Nazi Rally grounds and the DB Transport Museum yesterday. Lot of walking involved in the rally grounds. You think it’s near the start of the walk, but it’s 3 or 4 km around the lake.

Went up to the castle this morning and the site of the War Crimes tribunal today.

Good spot!

I recommend staying one night in a Ryakon when in Japan.

Why one? So relaxing!

Not cheap :wink:

Loving it so far

1 Like

Osaka

■■■

And how the hell is the acronym for oh My God blocked out?

Coolobar opens at 7pm

sigh

Off on a business trip to USA but will holiday in New Orleans and San Francisco.

Any suggestions for Hotels in either place? In New Orleans French Quarter there are so many to choose from, any that stand out ?

Mrs Azza and I are staying at Hotel St Pierre in the French Qtr when we go in early Nov. Reviews looked good on TripAdvisor, but apart from that, I got nothin’ :slight_smile:

I’ve stayed at the Monteleone 20-odd years ago.

We are still in Italy, Half way during our trip. In Perugia at the moment and have visited Assisi and Spello in the last couple of days. Great old hill top medieval towns, lots of walking up very steep streets and alleys, will have calves and hamstrings of steel by the end of this stay, but have loved it all.
Because of our “Backpack saga” where Mr BM left his backpack on a train during a changeover, with his passport, camera, glasses, my iPad, extra money in it - UTTER PANIC! Most stressful day for a very long time. :anguished::anguished:
Long story short, we did get everything back later that day, thank you Trenitalia!!
What is the worst thing that has happened to you while travelling??

4 Likes

Good that you got your stuff back.

Perhaps the worst thing for me was being in Nairobi when al Qaida blew up the American embassy. We were close enough to hear the explosion & get rained with charcoal. The uncensored carnage on local TV was horrific. Had no idea what was going on & were about to head into the wilds of Kenya on the back of a truck.

Otherwise we have been extraordinarily lucky (apart from a few bouts of food poisoning). Though I just remembered when our Renault got T boned by a 4WD outside Vienna …

Incredible that trenitalia even helped. Lucky for you