Travel Thread

JetScare has some cheap flights Melbourne/Tokyo return for around $500.

If I was taking wife and kids, how long would be sufficient. Thinking 2-3 weeks.

Edit was originally thinking USA, but it’s a bit weird there right now, then I just realised the nuke issue in Japan…

Mate, flew JetScare Melb to Hawaii in cattle class- if you’re over 5ft10, you won’t be very happy post flight!!
Either pony up for the extra legroom, or find some kind of sedative…
Great price though.

2 Likes

And California is still a legit great place to travel- they’re pretty anti-trump over there. A cheap fare to there would be a nice place to visit

1 Like

Yeah I’m torn, kids want to go to Disneyland etc. wife wants to go to New York…Been a few times and just not sure about the place.

Singapore Airlines are doing Melb-Tokyo for about $770, by time you factor in the luggage charges it doesn’t work out much more expensive plus you get a much better flying experience. JetStar would be the last airline I chose personally.
Air Asia doing $270 return Melbourne to KL and $170 Perth to KL return for early next year and I’ve never had a issue with them

1 Like

Well, the lines at Disneyland are better in Sept/Oct- all the kids are back at school. And the weather is generally low/mid 20’s. Plus your closer to Yosemite national park/San Fran/Vegas.

1 Like

Thanks.

Even done Disneyland in Japan? I just imagine it’s not as feral as the US one

No, never done much of asia.
But California Disney is pretty god in the off peak times- that’s the only time we’ve been. If the kids like science, the California science museum- at the LA coliseum- is like scienceworks in Melb. BUT, they have the last space shuttle to fly in a VERY large hanger you can see. We found it awesome. Also, if u go to LaBrea tarpits, same thing in that they have a really good museum of all the fossils they have taken from the pits. And both are not OTT expensive.
They also have the oldest remaining original Maccas in the world in Downey, LA- with an original 1960’s menu!!! If you’re into that sort of thing…

1 Like

Disneyland in Japan is run very well, but it’s incredibly popular. You get Japanese spoken by the characters and in rides which might take some of the enjoyment away, but it’s easy enough to navigate and get English assistance.

Look into JAL’s new route from Melb-Tokyo also. I got in really early with some Jan flights earlier in the year and got a great price (about $600 iirc) with a huge luggage allowance, but prices may have gone up in the meantime.

1 Like

Two to three weeks is ample time to see both the sights around Tokyo, then get over to Kansai area to see Kyoto and any other nearby city that might appeal.

No one here is too worried about Nth Korea. Yet. I just took my mum up to Hokkaido in between two missiles flying over the top. Gotta keep living and getting out there.

1 Like

Ha

Turn off the TV its great here

if you make it to New York. Upstate New York is off its ■■■■, along the Hudson River, bunch of national parks to walk amazing :facepunch:

Bonus is no one really visits it!

1 Like

I agree, upstate New York is great and beautiful in Fall. Not far to Niagara as well.

1 Like

Niagara ain’t even the tallest falls in upstate New York.

Ithaca FTW.

1 Like

If you do Tokyo Disney get the express pass, not a huge amount of rides for adults and the lines are long. Also when booking the hotel, double check to see if the cost includes tickets to the park

2 Likes

Think it also goes to Tokyo’s other airport which is over an hour away from Tokyo city, would probably cost around 15000¥ in taxi

1 Like

There’s plenty I’d like to see and do in Japan but I’d be conflicted by that. If I were in Tokyo, Osaka etc it’d end up being a full on two week vinyl vacation binge. Bring minimal clothes, ample room paying for extra luggage spend all my life savings on vinyl. A complete waste of a holiday but a trip to vinyl digging, record collecting mecca and not enough time to do the things one should normally do on a holiday. I would return seriously broke and not care about it too.

https://blog.discogs.com/en/vinyl-vacation-digging-in-tokyo/

1 Like

That’s right, it goes into Narita, the main airport which is a fair way out. Haneda is easier to access the city from, but being mostly domestic I’m not sure which airlines fly there from Australia. I’m always going in and out of Kansai.

The best way is to take the NEX train which is a reasonably fast and very comfortable train at about 150 km/h. Taxi could cost you a lot more and take much longer if there’s busy traffic.

No direct flights from Melbourne to Haneda. Only flights via Sydney. It is significantly closer to the city (i.e. affordable to cab whereas at Narita you are 1.5 hours from the city by train). However, if you’re coming from Melbourne you need to weigh this against stopping (and changing terminals) in Sydney. I fly through Haneda wherever possible. Aside from its proximity to the city, it is also a ripping airport - Narita is a hole.

1 Like

Not sure you are correct here DJ

Niagara is certainly the largest and while height reports vary it is stated to be 176 feet with Itica 150 ft

There are lots of waterfalls in New York State