Travel Thread

My work mate has just returned from the US and used turo.
He was raving about it.

Thanks Darli

That looks like a really good option, and I have never heard of them before.

Anyone ever been on Oman Air?
Seen some real good reviews on them and Iā€™ve always been interested in having a look around Muscat. Just trying to sort out a decent plan of attack to Europe next year for the World Cup.
Can get some decent two stop BC fares to Europe, both options go via KL with Malaysia Airlines who I rate as having one of the best Business class going around. Option 1 would be Adelaide to KL with MA and then Oman Air to any number of European cities via Muscat. Option 2 is the same to KL but then Turkish Airlines via Istanbul which is a $300 more expensive. I love Istanbul and as my wife hasnā€™t been there Iā€™d happily go back but Muscat intrigues me. A couple of quicker but far more expensive options with Qatar, Emirates and others to consider aswell. Royal Jordanian has some specials aswell but fly out of Bangkok and Royal Brunei do great deals to London from Melbourne and are fantastic. So many options now and itā€™s doing my head in lol

@Albert_Thurgood What kind of help do you need? My advice would be to shop around. There are plenty of reputable hire car companies that are not your Hertz, Avis, Thrifty etc. (that youā€™d know in Oz). Alamo and Enterprise are good choices.

Have you tried vroomvroomvroom.com?

My first time in Bourbon St, think I will move here

Every block is differentā€¦one block jazz clubs, next one strip clubs, next one souvenir shops, next one gay clubs.

Stick to the tucker. Best in the world.

Oh, come on.

If you like spicy seafoodā€¦

I love Cajun food.

Whatā€™s better? And donā€™t say Japanese!

Well of course it is a matter of taste (literally).
Iā€™ve been to New Orleans a couple of times & the food was OK, but I much preferred it in Hanoi & Oaxaca.

Had exactly the same reaction a few years ago. New Orleans is a place of magic.

Music is great, booze is good, food is OK, but I prefer Italy or Melbourne.

Oysters were good, shrimp is good and while steak is good quality, they have no idea on how to cook a rare piece of meat. And those sandwiches from Deli are good, but so farking huge.

I never even thought of steak when in New Orleans.

Why would you when youā€™ve got Shrimp Creole, Crawfish Etoufee, Jambalaya, Seafood Gumbo, Barbecued Shrimp, Oyster or Shrimp Poā€™Boys etc etc etc.

And besides that, if anybody gave me a rare steak, Iā€™d send the f**ker back and ask for them to at least cook it to medium. Rare steak I find disgusting. Medium at least, and often medium-well because some peopleā€™s idea of medium is still blo*ody.

1 Like

Iā€™d love to see you order that steak in France. Itā€™d make for a great scene.

I only eat well done steak and any sign of blood and itā€™s goes back. Get a few looks and mutterings from staff from time to time. Didnā€™t have a problem in France, found the Asian countries especially have trouble cooking it to my liking

We ask for our steak to be blue everywhere to get it rare.

The bbq shrimp at every place has been over cooked and today we had lunch at the Gumbo Shop which was recommended by everyone and the Jambalaya was bland and the Gumbo was not tasty either. Had some blackened catfish that was spicy and good, and alligator sausage was interesting

I like it rare but came across a few foreigners who unfortunately had to deal with very precious chefs when I lived in Paris.

Go to Oā€™briens for the dueling pianos, great night
PS stay out of trouble
Cops did random searches & found 12 people carrying

I always order Medium-Well Steakā€¦if you order well done they usually burn it to smitherines and if u order medium sometimes you get blood.

I had a BBQ shrimp in a restaurant on Royal Stā€¦very, very buttery and spicy, and the shrimp (our normal prawns) were still in the shell. They offered me (and I accepted) a full-body paper bib.

After Iā€™d finished, the waitress asked how I went. I replied that I was fine, and it was delish, but the diners within a two-table radius would probably be suing them for the dry cleaning.

I never went to Antoineā€™s or Paul Prudhommeā€™s, but everywhere i went was great. Made it every morning to Cafe du Monde opposite Jackson Square for the beignets and cafĆ© au lait too.