Travel Thread

Bratislava is pretty cool and the bonus is that is still hasn’t had the tourist explosion yet so you have many parts of the City pretty much to yourself. Under 80km from Vienna but still a lot of tourists don’t bother venturing there which makes accommodation very cheap

1 Like

We only had a lunch stop in Bratislava, but it was pretty interesting.

Biggest car-makers in the world on a per capita basis…allegedly.

You know you’re old when…

2 Likes

From where you’d rather be

1 Like

When what?

I’m paying for the f**king thing.

Anyone been to Sri Lanka? Wanting to head there in May.

Yes, about 10 years ago. Great country especially the southern beaches near Galle, Unawatuna.

After much deliberation and changes of mind we are headed to South Africa for three weeks in mid September. Thinking we will self drive to Kruger & Drakensberg escarpment, then fly (?) to Cape Town for city, whale watching & (maybe) Garden Route.

Anyone with experience of this?

1 Like

Deciding to go to Japan.

Can anyone recommend cities or places other than Tokyo (to see the city and Disneyland) Osaka (city and Universal studios).

Thinking 3 weeks should be plenty.

Anyone been to Alicante in Spain?

We went past Alicante before turning inland to Granada…so, sorry!

No problem, will find out what it is like when I get there.

We are going Granada way also. We also have managed to get an apartment for a week in Marbella for free, can’t wait.

About 10 years ago, has some nice older streets that is pretty cool to walk around and a brilliant promenade which on a nice evening is great to walk along and is packed by locals at times. Get up to the castle for some great views of the Mediterranean and surrounds. We flew into Alicante from the UK as they had some insane fares and then drove down along the coast to Benalmadema where my uncle had a “summer home” at the time. Lovely part of Spain

Don’t miss Kyoto

Get a ■■■ Rail pass for the bullet train and can go Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka

2 Likes

Hiroshima for 2 nights

since when does J AP require censorship?

ok a Japan Rail pass - which is best purchased online before you arrive in Japan. I think that now Japan Rail Passes can be also purchased at selected outlets once in Japan (eg airport) but may be dearer.

1 Like

Thanks Aceman, sounds great.

I’ve just booked a Baltic cruise in June - ends up in Russia during the World Cup. Pretty excited about it. Also helps that I won’t miss any Victorian games for the Bombers too - falls between two interstate games and the bye! :raised_hands:t2:

Anyone been to Russia? Any tips?

Have only done St Petersburg and a brief spell in Moscow. Was hoping to do the Trans Siberian in the near future and had plans to spend a month or so there for the WC but due to circumstances we can’t head over to Europe until early July so if I can get tickets to the later stages we might just fly in from somewhere else. Has been close 20 years since I’ve been so I’d imagine a fair bit has changed. The language was a huge barrier at the time and there was very little English spoken and next to no signage in English but I’d say that may of changed a little by now. Was real hard work organising tours, transport etc but had a great time and the people were amazing. If you go to Moscow try to get out to Suzdal, fantastic little town with some great architecture. The Kremlin and Red square are awesome sights but would have to say the Hermitage in St Petersburg was my favourite, absolutely was got smacked at the size and grandeur of the place. If your in the Baltic region I’d suggest a trip to Kaliningrad, fascinating city and well worth the trip.

1 Like

Yes. As Gwilty says, it’s a great country. Lots of different scenery (beaches, jungles, mountains, etc), culture and history.

We hired a car with driver to travel around the island and visit most of the major things to see. Best way to travel there. What are you wanting to do?