True Detective S1 (SPOILER ALERT)

Is the last episode over an hour long? Going to be tough to wrap it all up in 60 minutes

McConaughey won an Oscar for best actor today. He would have to be a lock for a best actor Emmy for True Detective. Has anyone won the best actor double in the one year?

What an amazing effort from McConaughey transforming himself from romcom lightweight to a character actor who is able to convey such depth in his performance.

McConaughey won an Oscar for best actor today. He would have to be a lock for a best actor Emmy for True Detective. Has anyone won the best actor double in the one year?
What an amazing effort from McConaughey transforming himself from romcom lightweight to a character actor who is able to convey such depth in his performance.

Totally agree. Barely even has to take his shirt off anymore.

So does anyone still think Marty's daughter was involved in those rituals?

http://youtu.be/PORrGrQrFtk

So does anyone still think Marty's daughter was involved in those rituals?

I don't think it is as far as the rituals. I think the Grandfather is part of it and early days at least, was assaulting Marty's eldest daughter.

This last episode looks intense and packed full of action. I think Cohle dies. He tells Marty after talking to the black lady, 'She is wrong, it does end with death' It is one of those lines that has context in the story but is a message to us. One of these two detectives die...

I thought he said “I hope she is wrong”?

Hmmm, I thought she said "I doesn't end with death", and Cohle said "I hope she is wrong about that".

As in, he's sick of going around in his circle of pain and degradation or whatever, and is hoping that it will at least end when he dies.

That's what I thought but Im not sure what it means. I did have a feeling that one of them would die though...

As for the "Marty's daughter involved in all of this" theory, if it eventuates then it's a bit unrealistic/coincidental.

She didn't go to a Tuttle school did she? Was she ever in the care of anyone else?And why wouldn't she have mentioned it to her Mum? The issues with her father didn't start until she got older, but even then she knew that if anyone messed with her that her Dad would save her.

I just think that if she was interfered with when she was little and that somehow she could have led us to the bad guys, then the whole series has been a waste of time, so I don't think they will run with it.

I think that given how well the show has been written up until now, that it's just a red herring. Though at the same time time it fits in with the theme of seedy stuff being able to happen right under your nose, even if you are a cop.

No idea where the kid thing came from. When he was talking about ignoring what was right in front of him he just meant that he was spending too much time working (and cheating) and didn’t see his daughter going off the rails.

The show is also about how the case and lifestyle has destroyed their lives as well.

This show is just great viewing. I certainly view MM in a very different light for his acting. Think Woody has done a great job also

Is there only one week to go?

I haven't watched last night yet.  I generally wait for Foxtel to do this, Justified and Banshee.

As for the "Marty's daughter involved in all of this" theory, if it eventuates then it's a bit unrealistic/coincidental.

She didn't go to a Tuttle school did she? Was she ever in the care of anyone else?And why wouldn't she have mentioned it to her Mum? The issues with her father didn't start until she got older, but even then she knew that if anyone messed with her that her Dad would save her.

I just think that if she was interfered with when she was little and that somehow she could have led us to the bad guys, then the whole series has been a waste of time, so I don't think they will run with it.

I think that given how well the show has been written up until now, that it's just a red herring. Though at the same time time it fits in with the theme of seedy stuff being able to happen right under your nose, even if you are a cop.

You are missing one key point of that theory. The theory says her grandfather is part of the cult that ■■■■■ with young girls. The other theory I just read is that her grandfather has kept pictures of these rituals and the granddaughter has seen those pictures. So the dolls were set up in a way the is a recreation of the pictures seen as well as the drawing she made.

Nobody is saying the cult, as the cult started ■■■■■■■ with the girl. Incase you missed it they generally kill the women to conclude the ceremony.

If the theory is correct, she never meet the cult, has no idea about a cult. Just that her grand daddy played with her a little too personally.

I thought he said "I hope she is wrong"?

Watched it back, you are correct. I miss heard.

I don't think Marty's daughter is involved in the murders/abductions/assualts. Her importance as a femine contrast to Marty as his character is developed as a mysoginst/abuser/controller.

You are missing one key point of that theory. The theory says her grandfather is part of the cult that farks with young girls. The other theory I just read is that her grandfather has kept pictures of these rituals and the granddaughter has seen those pictures. So the dolls were set up in a way the is a recreation of the pictures seen as well as the drawing she made.

Nobody is saying the cult, as the cult started ******* with the girl. Incase you missed it they generally kill the women to conclude the ceremony.

If the theory is correct, she never meet the cult, has no idea about a cult. Just that her grand daddy played with her a little too personally.

I think people are clutching at straws unless they can find any reason that the grandfather (on her Mum's side) might have abused her, or had such pictures lying around that she might have found. If so Im interested to know, but I think it's pretty inconsequential. If it was Marty's Dad then I don't think he's ever been intruduced/mentioned so it's a bit nuts to accuse him of bad stuff.

I don't think the writers have tried to convey any specific (out of the ordinary) reason for her being the way she was... many young/teen girls go through a rebelious or promiscuous phase, or fall-out with their fathers, just like boys, especially if their parents are having relationship issues. And kids hear about sexual stuff at school from older kids etc.

But yeah, I've only watched each episode once so I could have missed it, but I see her behaviour as a demonstration of Marty not being able to control the women in his life.

You are missing one key point of that theory. The theory says her grandfather is part of the cult that farks with young girls. The other theory I just read is that her grandfather has kept pictures of these rituals and the granddaughter has seen those pictures. So the dolls were set up in a way the is a recreation of the pictures seen as well as the drawing she made.

Nobody is saying the cult, as the cult started ******* with the girl. Incase you missed it they generally kill the women to conclude the ceremony.

I think people are clutching at straws unless they can find any reason that the grandfather (on her Mum's side) might have abused her, or had such pictures lying around that she might have found. If so Im interested to know, but I think it's pretty inconsequential. If it was Marty's Dad then I don't think he's ever been intruduced/mentioned so it's a bit nuts to accuse him of bad stuff.

I don't think the writers have tried to convey any specific (out of the ordinary) reason for her being the way she was... many young/teen girls go through a rebelious or promiscuous phase, or fall-out with their fathers, just like boys, especially if their parents are having relationship issues. And kids hear about sexual stuff at school from older kids etc.

But yeah, I've only watched each episode once so I could have missed it, but I see her behaviour as a demonstration of Marty not being able to control the women in his life.

Why would the grandfather abuse his granddaughter...as if that doesn't happen often. It is not uncommon for people to sexual abuse young children in there extended family. Does Maggie or Martin seems like parents who would notice something like that? Marty just sees the sexual acts of his daughter and spends no time thinking about why she did what she did. Maggie is clearly someone who can't deal with truth and seeks a lie to comfort her.

The Grandfather has been in the show. In one of the earlier episodes they were at his house (on the bayou by the way, where most of the kids have been going missing). He made comments about kids being all about sex, dressing in black etc.

Clutching at straws is not pointing out multiple possible scenarios. I put forth 2 ideas to explain her daughter and those pictures etc. She could have found a hidden tape at her grandfathers or pictures. She could also just have been recreating stories she heard from friends.

Maggie and those kids are not finished as part of the story in my mind.

Ok, Im a bit confused by some of your reasoning as you've put forward more than 2 scenarios for why she was playing with the dolls in such a way.

1) Abused by Grandfather - You've justified this by saying it's common for sexual abuse within extended families, but that wouldn't explain the group sex imagery or make him part of the cult (which would be required for it to be an important part of the plot).

2) Saw Grandfather's pictures - This would have implied he was part of the cult (and be integral to the plot), but not that she was actually abused. It would also not be enough of an explanation as to why she's on medication etc,

3) Heard stories from friends - This is probably the most likely option IMO.

Then again it's hard to believe that the writers wouldn't have been aware that people might suspect the grandfather, so maybe it will be the 'twist' (there will be a fair bit of explaining to do), or rather just a red herring.

At least the lawnmower man appeared in say ep 3 & 6, I think it would be a bit rich for the writers to pull out the grandad in the final episode.

Also I can't really see the grandfather who seemed like a good family man hanging out with the likes of Ledoux and lawnmower man. I understand Tuttle was involved with them though and maybe a senator so maybe socio economic status doesn't come into it (I'd call it a plot-hole though).

Good ending to the season, McConaughey will pick up an Emmy for sure.

Pretty solid ending, didn't tie everything up, but it did enough.

Fark, the subject matter just really makes your skin crawl. I felt sick for much of that episode.

For all the talk about McConaughey - which is justified, he'll do the Oscar / Emmy double - Woody Harrelson's performance in this series really stood out to me. Despite being such a flawed ■■■■■■■, Marty was real, and somehow always had my sympathy.  

That was a great series of Television.   

Man. The beginning was serious disturbing...lol

Great ending and Series.

How Sick was this shot

http://i.imgur.com/rUPyuKu.png