Tullamarine Globetrotters

Robbo’s article from todays HS

ESSENDON coach John Worsfold said his players were confused after losing to Richmond by 15 goals in Wangaratta.

On Sunday they beat Geelong at Colac by four points and, with only two weeks before Round 1, the Bombers remain confusing.

Essendon won on Sunday against a team without Gary Ablett, who did not play, and Patrick Dangerfield, who left the field early in the second quarter with a soft-tissue injury.

Two of the best six players in the competition missing and still the Bombers conceded 90 points in the first three quarters.

That they subdued the Cats and conceded just seven in the final term is testament to their inconsistency.

Worsfold would be pleased with the effort because the pre-season contest against the Tigers was embarrassing.

But, as the countdown starts to the Round 1 clash with Adelaide, and with a growing injury list — David Zaharakis and Marty Gleeson both sustained leg injuries on Sunday — the Bombers are a work in progress.

They are terribly inconsistent in many facets of the game.

At times, they play like the Tullamarine Globetrotters — both skilful and exhilarating. At other times, they are derelict in the fundamentals of the game.

When they apply pressure, like they did in the first quarter, they look like a contender.

When they created turnovers in their forward half, like they did in the final term, which allowed them to set up defensively down the ground and strangle the Cats, they certainly look a contender.

Today’s footy is a lot about forward-half pressure and scoring, which is not Essendon’s one wood, and, in this regard, the Bombers are still to establish their “brand’’ of footy.

Pressure isn’t everything, but it’s significant.

In the first quarter against a strong wind on Sunday, Essendon’s pressure was a phenomenal 217.

In the second quarter it was 179, the third was 144 and in the final quarter it was 147.

That final quarter saw the Bombers kick 5.8 to 1.1, mostly because they forced the Cats into errors and Geelong coughed the ball up.

It meant total domination for Essendon, an almost perfect quarter apart from inaccuracy in front of goal.

They won the ball in the middle, got it inside 50m, kept it inside 50m and every time the Cats were able to rebound, the Bombers, led by Brendon Goddard, had the necessary structure to win the ball back.

In the first three quarters, Essendon had 17 forward-half turnovers. They had 14 alone in the final term.

In the previous 30 minutes, however, Geelong kicked 7.1 to 2.1 — although the wind can’t be ignored.

They are an intriguing team, Essendon.

On paper the Bombers drip with talent. In reality, we don’t know how good they are and can be.

Darcy Parish has emerged as a key player in terms of contested ball and in a midfield which has been described as A) lacking depth and B) lacking contested ball- winners, the hard-edged Parish will be an important player.

So, too, will be Andy McGrath who played mainly on the wing and was a ball-winner in the final quarter.

Andrew McGrath has an important part to play for the Bombers this year. Picture: Michael Klein
Jake Stringer will never be anything more than pinch-hit midfielder and his best work remains in the forward 50m. He kicked 2.2 on Sunday.

But can they play Stringer, James Stewart, Joe Daniher and Cale Hooker all inside 50m? Probably not.

A lot will depend on how Patrick Ambrose holds up as the second-key defender.

He was beaten by Tom Hawkins and, for sure, the debate will continue about whether Hooker’s best value is as a forward or defender.

There’s plenty of buts and what-ifs and potential about the Bombers, and the fact is they need more football similar to what they produced the final quarter on Sunday if they are to be a serious contender.

Can someone tell Slobbo to go fck himself? Cheers.

8 Likes

I think he was hungover judging by his very odd and random tweets on Saturday.

Nah… I want to see more of the football we produced in the first quarter.

Intensity.

What a terrible article. It reeks of “let’s just get an article out and say SOMETHING”. The season is young. Let’s wait and see.

2 Likes

Robbo is clearly suffering from some premature e-jac-ulation here. It’s not even round 1!

I’d say that in general a match day thread all caps pbomber rant is more coherent than robbo’s writing style.

2 Likes

Tumblr Blog

2 Likes

fair enough article if you ask me… basically mirrors the sentiment around this forum re inconsistency

8 Likes

Fails to mention any mitigating circumstances in our game against Richmond, yet says that Geelong were minus Ablett, and obviously Dangerfield injured himself early yesterday. Just shows you can twist anything to suit your narrative. I think we have probably been more scrutinised out of any club in the AFL about our pre-season performances.

Also says

Which, considering we were the third highest scoring team last year is either factually wrong or very poorly worded. With robbo it’s almost impossible to guess which.

2 Likes

While I’m here trying to digest a robbo word salad, a brief rant. It is hilarious/infuriating to me the number of pundits/commentators/whoever else who look at what the most recent premiership team did and say “that’s football now”. Football changes precisely because good coaches don’t do that. There’s no natural evolution of sport, there’s people deliberately changing it. There’s no best kind of football, there’s only the best kind of football to beat the other current kinds of football.

The way to beat last year’s premiers is not to just ape their style and hope you do it better. They’re the best at it, and they’ve been doing it longer. The hawks didn’t win three flags in a row playing like the pies or the cats or anyone else. The dogs didn’t play like the hawks. I’m almost certain that the top coaches didn’t watch last year’s grand final and take away that richmond’s style is how they had to play, but rather that richmond’s style is what they have to play against.

Also, the AFL talent pool simply is not deep enough to just copy another team. We can’t just play like the dogs, we don’t have the right players to do it, and we can’t just turn over half the list to get them. Ditto the tigers, although we’re closer. You have to figure out what you can do with the talent you have. If you look at your list and have four hundred inside mids and an iffy forward line, you play like the dogs. As Hardwick has said repeatedly, if you have one good tall forward, then you don’t pretend the bad second options are good, you figure out how to make a one tall forward line work.

I don’t know what the right way to play for us is, if I did I’d be a senior coach, I am, however fairly certain that it isn’t going to be “like richmond but more”.

14 Likes

half forward pressure is interchangeable with total team defence. but robbo wouldn’t know that for the end of his bottle so…

Yes but what if.

You broken down your post right there.

Using one sentence per paragraph. Two at the most.

To try and seem more thoughtful.

2 Likes

Is Ablett really still in the top six of the comp?

Theme song has got to be Sweet Mitch Brown right?

Slobbo was probably watching the game from the bar with an occasional glance at the television as usual.
Honestly to write such a piece based on an PRACTICE matches in February & March is foolish. Against the tiggers there was a gastro outbreak in the club 5 -6 of our best players were not playing, Merrett & Stringer were non contributors due to injury.
Clubs use these games to try new tactic’s, try out the kids, try players in new positions, get games into players with limited pre-seasons & senior players who know they are going to play round 1 just go through the motions etc.
Slobbo needs a decent pre-season of writing common sense articles.

1 Like

Robbo is a semi literate dickk. I have no idea why you let his ramblings affect you.

2 Likes

Take that back.

He’s never been near a salad.

4 Likes

Is he really trying to use ‘Globetrotters’ to denote inconsistency? Pretty sure their win-loss record is solid!

1 Like