TV Ratings & Crowds

From the Age:

The delicate balance between football’s live and television audiences has been underlined by figures showing that, while AFL crowds in Melbourne are up marginally on last season, TV audiences for games have declined.

As reported by Fairfax Media on Thursday, a more fan-friendly fixture with bigger games between traditional clubs in day timeslots has produced a marginal increase in crowds in Melbourne, where the average so far this season is 39,038 compared with 36,948 last year.

But that appears to have come at some cost to the television audience, where average viewing numbers in Melbourne are down 5 per cent on last year.

The cumulative numbers show that Perth is the only capital city where viewers of live game broadcasts have increased, while Brisbane, with both the Lions and Gold Coast, has performed poorly and is down by as much as 15 per cent.

Australia-wide, taking in telecasts on both the free-to-air Seven network and pay television’s Fox Footy, numbers are down by nine per cent.

Perhaps giving Carlton umpteen Friday night games may have something to do with it - not to mention using the fixture to punish the Bombers

Of course Bartlett and the other neanderthals will crank up the get rid of interchange mantra to bring back the good old days

What’s the relevance of the last sentence - I can’t see how KB has any relevance.

I really only watch Essendon. Thus why I don’t comment on trades etc…

TV ratings are down?

I

http://images.3aw.com.au/2012/03/26/3164370/Brian-Taylor.jpg

Can’t

http://thepricklyperch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/bruce.jpg

Imagine

Why!

delicious big boy mceveoy kicks a left to right dribbler from the paint, can it get any better than that?

What's the relevance of the last sentence - I can't see how KB has any relevance.
What's the relevance of the first part of your sentence - KB has no relevance to anything.

At least you can’t see all 36 players in 1/3 of the ground on tv.

Plus 2015 football has zero resemblance to the game I’m familiar with.

I support KB on a limit on interchange. F*ck shuttle runs, I want to see big forwards leading towards the ball with big backs trying to stop them. Positional play, not mauls. I want to see the tired players will themselves to contests in the 4th.

Make the game watchable again and people will, you know, watch again.

Ratings are down, league looking for a cash boost in next rights period, the boys have to hit those KPIs and get the cash cash.

Ta da!

Footy on Easter!

But wait, there’s more…?

Ooooiooo a night Grand Final I hear you say?

I really only watch Essendon. Thus why I don't comment on trades etc...

I only watch Essendon games ( and a few others on BB have said they only watch Essendon games ), so glad I/we seem to be making a difference.

Too many teams, too many rubbish footballers running around, too many games each week, too much oversaturation of the game in the media, too many so called football ‘personalities’ with their crap opinions, way too much politics involved now, too over coached poor quality matches.

Game’s a farking mess.

What's the relevance of the last sentence - I can't see how KB has any relevance.

Any chance to make a gratuitous attack on him is taken

If you didn’t have to filter through ■■■■ commentary, draining adds(that cut out the play), expensive ticketing, poor customer service at stadiums and not to mention bullshit free kicks from bullshit rules that the umpires don’t understand that make the game look even more amateur than it has become, it would be more appealing.

Add Sam Lane, Matthew Richardson and Cameron Ling to that lot and they seriously wonder why TV ratings are down.
Any Fox matches I’ll watch a live internet stream on instead. #FarkAFL

I dont know what everyone is complaining about.

I love hearing Bruce get excited over the young kids and Rioli. Dont forget BT’s overreacting on every little bump and the big Duke’s rubbish that he dribbles. What a gun commentry team.

I will admit I do chuckle when BT sounds like he’s about to choke on his own voice

(Hope that works)

That’s what we used to advertise in the game. Try do that add today and you would struggle to match half of it.

That ratings and attendance are down because they have desensitised the game, take out what made it great and turned it into a rules fest. So now in the heartland, nobody cares as much. Especially after all the power clubs have given up so much in draft picks, money etc from equalisation that the supporters are jacked off.

Add in the vindictive, corrupt AFL and it’s only going to get worse.

Average attendance has gone from 36,948 to 39,038. Meanwhile television audiences have shrank by an average of 2,090…

Average attendance has gone from 36,948 to 39,038. Meanwhile television audiences have shrank by an average of 2,090...

If you look at population growth plus revenues and investments over that time and it is significant.

At least you can't see all 36 players in 1/3 of the ground on tv.

Plus 2015 football has zero resemblance to the game I’m familiar with.

I support KB on a limit on interchange. F*ck shuttle runs, I want to see big forwards leading towards the ball with big backs trying to stop them. Positional play, not mauls. I want to see the tired players will themselves to contests in the 4th.

Make the game watchable again and people will, you know, watch again.

Never gets mentioned, but…
90s (and prior) when it was a winter game - a Victorian winter game, the grounds were a lot heavier. Like a 7-dead on the horse track ratings.

There was a lot less shuttle running because it was much quicker kicking the thing above ground than run it up along the surface, and to get any value from kicking line to line you need to have the lines.
Also (anecdotally) concussions etc were a lot less prevalent as the surface was that much softer.

Any love for returning to watering the grounds again? Not full centre-circle mud-pit, but at least a downgrade. Yeah, it’ll slow down some of the skills a little, I can deal with that.

Would be a crapload easier to facilitate than any of the other ideas I’ve heard (I fkg concur with gradually dropping the interchange limit, not sure it’ll have much effect)

With credit to CJohns’ twitterz, Essendon has the longest running streak of home games above 30k at 55 (since 2010, Brisbane rd 21)