TV show thread (2013-2022)

1. GoT
  2. Sopranos
  3. The Wire
  4. Deadwood.
  5. Breaking Bad / X Files.

I would grow thin, trying to live on the difference between any of them, sky high for quality all. Keeping in mind l haven’t seen many of the other shows people have mentioned, as l haven’t had regular access to TV and attendant for almost 25 years.

The Wire is getting a lot of love. Something I haven’t watched, might need to give it a go.

Breaking Bad would be my favourite drama and The Office (UK) my favourite comedy.

1 Like

I watched the Wire maybe 5 years ago all the way through and I’m currently going through it again.

On second viewing it’s even stronger than when I watched it the first time.

There is a reason it is regularly voted the best tv series ever or around the mark.

2 Likes

My missus told me to watch it ages ago but never got around to it. Currently watching Mr. Robot (another of her recommendations) and am near the end of season 2. Loving it.

2 Likes

Yeah, Mr Robot is good also.

I think you will certainly notice a step up in character development when you watch the Wire though.

It has a cast of about 30 different characters and each one you can relate to in some way. Similar to Game of Thrones I guess.

Cant say enough good about the Wire.

1 Like

Deadwood should certainly be in there.

I’d have GoT, Band of Brothers, The Sopranos too.

And Dexter if not for the last couple of seasons.

I enjoyed another Timothy Olyphant in Justified.

NYPD Blue was a long-time favourite too but became more of a soap opera. Hill Street was a bit the same.

Never watched a few of the others. I’ve got The Wire but only up to season 2.

Some of the stars from The Wire seems to pop up in other Simon/Ostermeyer shows like Treme and Bosch.

I’d have both Weeds and Sons of Anarchy in there but they dropped away rapidly in their last couple of seasons.

In no order
The Wire
The Simpsons (based on first 6-7 years)
Game of Thrones
The Americans (although yet to get past season 3)
Breaking Bad

The Wire is so clearly the greatest TV series ever that it isn’t funny. It actually transcends the medium. It’s almost an insult to refer to it as a ‘TV show’. It is genuinely a great work of art.

8 Likes

Agree with all of that but for pure escapism, production value, acting, script I’ll take Deadwood. Must have watched it through 5 times.

Started mindhunter last night. very very good.

1 Like

The Wire
Breaking Bad
True Detective (S1)
Mash
Game of Thrones

So many shows so close, Seinfeld, Entourage, Battlestar Galactica, Sense8 (s1), Banshee, Person of Interest, Justified, NYPD Blue The Leftovers Lost

Second season was ok but never had a chance to live up to the first season.

Halfway through the Sinner at the moment.

Intriguing premise and well executed.

Watched the first episode of the new Netflix series Dark.

Shares some similarities with Stranger Things.

Overall, based on the first episode I would say it has promise.

1 Like

Watching the second episode tonight. Inside a minute I had to turn off the awful American dubbed voices and turn on the original german with subs. Dunno how people can watch foreign tv/films that are dubbed, highly distracting.

I have the german copy.

Yeah, dubbing is only good for kung fu films.

Just finished watching the new season of Rake. Cleaver is one of my all time favourite characters, as well Cal McGregor.

I enjoyed the new episode of Vikings last night.

1 Like

I’m bored in recovery mode. I have foxtel (No movies) and Netflix.

Suggestions on what to watch would be appreciated.

1 Like

The Sinner is quite good.

Just finished it! Yep really enjoyed it. And finished Alias Grace. Enjoyed that to.