TV show thread (2013-2022)

For those interested (probably only me), Turn: Washington’s Spies has just started Series 4.

The kid who played Billy Elliott is now grown up and playing a farmer on Long Island, whose father is fiercely loyal to the British, who spies for Washington’s army. The show has one of the most hateful characters you could imagine, playing a real-life character, in Major John Simcoe who is at loggerheads with most of his British colleagues.

The core of the story is true. Relationships and characters have been exaggerated or shifted in time.

At the end of Season 3, Benedict Arnold has just betrayed the Americans and West Point academy because they didn’t give him enough responsibility or credit.

It was funny when we were in London, we saw a house with a blue plaque saying “Here lived Benedict Arnold, American patriot”. In the US, his name is synonymous with traitor.

1 Like

Love me some House of Cards, thought it returned to form after last season.

Anyone else finish Better Call Saul S3?

2 Likes

And what a charming finish it was! Damn…

3 Likes

Enjoyed it. Nice rounding of circumstances.

All set up to move forward now into the good parts. So clever yet almost painstakingly slow when you reflect it’s taken 3 seasons to get to this point.

Still at episode 4 of season 3. It’s so awesome, hanging to binge watch the remaining episodes. Loving that we are now understanding more of Hector and Don eladio. Getting closer to BB levels of awesomeness

BB was the same. Ironically, it picked up when Saul and Mike came into the show to clean up the scene when Jess’s GF overdosed.

1 Like

Started Fargo Season 2. Awesome so far. Also, UFO W T F?

1 Like

A par in Column 8 in this morning’s SMH

Spoilers, forsooth!

Anyone been following the latest eps of Janet King? The current story line is very much parts of the Essendon/Cronulla saga, lol. Even includes a sports scientist and mentions a compounding chemist

1 Like

Haven’t been, but are about to. Sounds like it could hold extra interest now, … whether it’s enough to negate the cringeworthy seemingly compulsory 5 to 7 minutes of pensive Martha close ups per episode remains to be seen.

1 Like

LOL, yes she is so frozen looking, but I did like her in A place to call home.

It’s only over the last couple of weeks, I’ve really started to take notice of the similarities - without giving too much away - eg players should know what they have taken, why didn’t they ask questions etc etc. A lot about match fixing as well. ASADA gets a mention a few times as well.

1 Like

I didn’t realise it was back on, will catch up on iview.

I think there is only a couple more episodes to go, but it is mainly the last couple of weeks when the performance enhancing drugs part has become more noticeable.

Thanks

I’m a fan - the Culper Spy Ring is one of my favourite parts of US history - I’m just massively behind, I’ve got Seasons 2 & 3 sitting on the HD.

Thought I’d have a look at GLOW (Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling) on Netflix last night, and ended up watching four episodes. Set in the 1980s, a director of schlock films (played by Marc Maron) assembles a cast of female wrestlers for a TV show. Pretty funny, adult humour, and a must watch for fans of Alison Brie.

1 Like

Personally I preferred Carmen Electra’s NWWL

It’s a pretty under-stated series. Her Russian heel gimmick is fantastic.

Highlight of the cameos/supporting parts by actual wrestlers: yes, Carlito gets to hold an apple at one point, but that hair is soooooo not cool.