Simpsons
Seinfeld
West wing

The IT Crowd
Frontline
Father Ted
Dead Like Me
… maybe Deadwood

Honourable mentions Damages and Rome, both amazing first seasons. Homeland too.

1 Like

Finally got round to watching stranger things series 1, after reading that it was going to overtake game of thrones as most popular.
I love the 80’sretro of it, brings me back to when i was a boy. Never into Dungeons and dragons though, but dont mind the plot, even if its a little scary.

I really enjoyed Stranger Things (haven’t watched S2 yet) but for me it’s not in the same category as GOT.

1 Like

Top 5 for me in no particular order:
GOT
The Wire
Breaking Bad
Battlestar Galactica (new version)
True Detective

I’m sure I’m forgetting one that i’ll kick myself for later. Also Stranger Things currently one of the best shows going round. Plan to watch the Sopranos over the summer.

Comedies
Fawlty Towers
IT Crowd
The Office (UK)
Always Sunny In Philadelphia
Seinfeld

Honerable mentions to Curb your enthusiasm, Arrested Development, Eastbound & Down, Parks & Rec, 30 Rock, Black Adder, Alan Partridge and Flight of the Conchords.

My top 5 shows currently airing

The Last Kingdom
Vikings
Game of Thrones
Stranger Things
Atypical

Some folk bringing up specific seasons. That’s why I’d probably have The Wire at the top. Every season was fantastic. I’ve gone nuts for Breaking Bad, GoT, Lost etc. but for something in its entirety, it’s gotta be The Wire.

Comedy shows stick with me more because of the repeat viewing potential, so:
The Young Ones
Fawlty Towers
Seinfeld
The Office (UK)

Late game of Thrones isn’t in the category of early GOT

3 Likes

In fairness to my list. 2 shows are currently running and only have that amount of series out. In planet earths case until Attenborough kicks it.

But I lucked out with Dexter. Trinity arc was the peak of that show.

1 Like

Absolutely. Was that season 4? It was fantastic, and then the quality just plummeted.

Yep. Showrunner left. Makes a big difference.

Cheers
Letterman
Breaking Bad
Lost - I know people hate it but that show had me hooked like know other.
Westworld

Interesting, because I reckon season 5 of the wire is by far the weakest, leaving the series on a bit of a ‘meh’ note, while Breaking Bad finished up with its best season of the lot.

For its entirety, I personally have BB ahead, but I’m splitting hairs.

1. Breaking Bad
  2. Game of Thrones
  3. The Wire
  4. The Leftovers
  5. Mr Robot (for now…)

Stranger Things may end up in there, and if Weeds finished at Season 5 it would be high on my list.

Comedy is too hard to do only 5.

1 Like

Really? I really liked the newsroom season, but yeah I know others who thought it dipped. You know what, Breaking Bad was strong all the way. The more years we get into the domination of the tv series, the more we see how hard it is to maintain consistency, but BB delivered in spades. I think I’d thought it dipped a bit but it certainly ended well.

On that note, I know I’m behind, but I’ve been making my way through Fargo season 3. I thought it’d lost something from the first two exceptional seasons, but after watching episode 8, this story’s got fantastic momentum and is becoming another huge thumbs up.

1 Like

Up to episode 6 so far. Loving it (although anything will look good after yawning my way through the Iron Fist series).

1 Like

It’s in a long line of TV series I need to catch up on.

I’m not really familiar with the comic but I’m hoping that doesn’t matter.

Nope, won’t matter at all. You have to watch Daredevil season 2 before watching Punisher though, it’s a direct continuation of that storyline for his character.

Marvel have set up all their TV shows to market them at people who aren’t familiar with the comics, so you’ll be fine. I read the comics a little bit as a kid (The Phantom and Batman were more my style), but have had no problem following the different TV shows. Some of them are better than others (as indicated in my previous post, Iron Fist was a bit slow and the character himself was a whiny little turd), but overall they are very good. Punisher is shaping up to be up there with the best of them so far.

1 Like

Punisher > any other tv series marvel has made. in fact its probably one of the best series i’ve seen this year. 2nd only to the good place in terms of enjoyability. it was a visceral experience.

1 Like

That’s a glowing endorsement.

Every time I go to start watching The Punisher all I see is the actor that plays him and think of his character from TWD and think “Nup”.

Same thing when I see him in Sicario. The guy sh1ts me for some reason.

1 Like