TV show thread (2013-2022)

Finished. Need a bit of time to digest it all. The laat scenes were perfect.

Blitz delivers again by recommending this one.

2 Likes

Berlin station or unabomber next?

I rarely check into this thread.

Seems like no-one has mentioned over the last 500+ posts I scanned:

Best drama:

The Monocled Mutineer.

This late '80s show was - and still is - revolutionary. It told a story from WW1. Even 70 years after the fact, the English govt tried to have it banned.

Why? Because it showed how the Poms treated their own soldiers. It showed how farking terrible WW1 was.

It showed how one man with tremendous charisma tried to escape from that and help others out. It showed how the Poms tracked him down and killed him.

There are plenty since then that show ultra violence, plenty of blood and gore but none are realistic in their portrayal of death. That is another reason why this show still lingers on, thirty years after seeing it. Yet another is its selection of music from those times - it still haunts my memory.

But despite his fantastic performance, the main actor only had bit parts after that, suggesting the establishment still has deep influence

Best Comedy:

Monty Python’s Flying Circus.

How can no-one mention this? It revolutionised comedy and has even added to the language.

3 Likes

Berlin Station is VERY good.

All those American actors should thank their lucky stars they got into a series better than almost all US TV series.

And for an extra element of frisson, after seeing Ep 2 I bet Mrs A_T that not one person in 100,000 could identify its embedded cryptic reference.

See if you can - of course, without the aid of Google.

1 Like

Finished Newsroom earlier this month

Started sooo well, season 1 and 2 were great. Season 3 was the final and simply a hot mess. Another series ruined

1 Like

I’ve got to start watching this.

I know Series 2 is on SBS. Is Series 1 easily obtainable?

Series 1 is on SBS too. I just started watching it there.

Ta. I have to catch up on that Churchill series that’s on at the moment too. Mate of mine reckons it’s pretty good…and instructive.

New season of black mirror was great.

4 Likes

Where can I stream The Wire?

I’m watching it on Foxtel Now.

Yep, foxtel now.

I tried watching The Wire…just couldn’t get into it!

For me, top 5

Breaking Bad
GOT
Seinfeld
Vikings
It’s always sunny in Philadelphia

Honorable Mentions;

Boardwalk Empire
IT Crowd
Chuck
Homeland
Wentworth
Dexter

1 Like

It took me about three episodes to get into it. It gets better and better, imo. Season 3 is incredible.

1 Like

I watched about 7 or 8. I just didn’t get into it!

1 Like

I got to halfway through Season 2 of the Wire…no problem, but something else came up, and I just haven’t got back into it.

I keep seeing people like Clarke Peters, Wendell Pierce, Lance Reddick and Frankie Faisal in other shows, usually those run by Simon or Overmeyer.

The first season is slowish, there’s not much doubt about that. However I’d get to the end of that first season though. It’s not like a regular series where there is a beginning, middle and end to an episode. It’s more like a good book where most of the pay off is in the last two episodes (chapters).

Thanks SMJ, I might give it another go.

Yep, definitely give it another go C_H. Your list is an excellent example of my tastes in TV of the past 5-10 years so trust me, get through season 1 and into season 2 and get back to us on how you’re feeling about The Wire.

Also, good to see another fan of Always Sunny. The most underrated comedy on TV now and for the past 12 seasons. How it hasn’t won any sort of award whilst other much MUCH lessor comedies continue to clean up (particularly in leading male actor) boggles my mind.

1 Like

Boo!

Yay!

3 Likes