TV show thread (2013-2022)

[quote=“rossoneri, post:4387, topic:125, full:true”]
Which is cringeworthy? US or UK?
[/quote]e

The US. I take it as a quality of the show, in that it means l m not ready to rewatch it. If you like Ricky Gervais, check out his other series, Extras, worth it just f or the cameos, especially the episodes with David Bowis and Daniel Radcliffe.

I went back and watched season again, that helped, you forget so much in the 12 months or so it has been…

More like 18 months!

Dunno how anyone could possibly complain about confusion re: this week’s Westworld. Almost entirely linear and explicitly explained!

Kinda boring that the answer was just “he became conscious”, though.

I’ve only been half paying attention.

The poms do TV differently to the US.

Always short seasons, and they generally like to leave the viewers wanting more rather than flogging it into the ground.

The Young Ones was only 12 eps over two seasons.

The Inbetweeners was 18 eps over three seasons.

Blackadder had a whopping 24 eps over 4 seasons, which is still only one or two seasons worth for some US shows.

There are exceptions of course, like Peep Show which has done nine seasons or Red Dwarf with 12, but even still, both only have 6 eps a season.

1 Like

Fawlty Towers was only 12 episodes over 2 seasons and yet it is one of the most quoted TV shows ever.

1 Like

Ripping Yarns with Michael Palin was 12 eps over 2 seasons.

And 8 or 9 of them were classics.

1 Like

“School Days” and “Escape from Stalag Luft” spring immediately to mind.

Binged watched “The Get Down” over the long weekend, had me hooked.

Set in late 70’s Brooklyn, birth of mixing and hip hop with tones of disco, really enjoyed the acting and a really well produced series.

Anyone else watched this?

2 Likes

Yeah the US version is worth watching if you don’t compare them to each other.

The UK one is “cold harsh dark reality” cringe. The US is “vaudeville slapstick” cringe.

2 Likes

Main reason is that UK shows tend to have 1-2 writers while US has teams of 8-10+

4 Eps into “The Deuce”, Very good.

Also, … When da faq is “Better Call Saul” returning ffs???

1 Like

Eric Olthwaite
Golden Gordon
Murder at Moorstones Manor
Roger of the Raj
Curse of the Claw

All parodies of those very British Boys’ Own Annual books.

Holy shiitballs was this a gripping 4 part series

Has anyone mentioned the Manhunt: Unabomber series with Sam Worthington in the lead?

Watched it a while ago, it was pretty good too.

1 Like

Yeah, I was more talking about why they only did 2 seasons, brilliant show but Dingus summed it up well.

I figured the reason they stopped was because John Cleese and Connie Booth divorced after season 1.

1 Like

Into the second season of I’m Dying Up Here, and thoroughly enjoying it. Set around the comedy scene in LA in the early to mid 70s. It’s on Stan.

August 6

1 Like