TV show thread (2013-2022)

It’s been hard work but I’m completely back with Westworld.

1 Like

I started watching that.its high quality but it meandered Along a tad for me. Might give it another go

The Expanse has been saved by Amazon.

Apparently Jeff Bezos is a huge fan.

Great news!

1 Like

Grinding through Legion. Boy that show is hard to follow sometimes. It’s the king of non sequiturs. Think of X-Men but most of the characters are psychics and they spend the majority of the time messing with each other.

Watched today’s episode of Westworld.

Disappointed that the rather attractive lady who’s only come into the show recently is gone. I liked her in Manhattan (which I suspect no-one else here watched - about the atomic bomb project).

I think there’s only one episode to go, but it’s surely run its race. I’ve found the whole second series very unsatisfactory.

New Westworld is beyond ■■■■. Sci-Fi concepts not backed up by writing craft or characters of substance.

Evil genius is such a well paced doco. Reminded me a little of the Jinx. Real creepy.

Mindhunter is a great follow up show if you’re keen on more psychological thrillers. From David Fincher. Its kinda like Zodiac the TV show.

1 Like

I’m not all that keen on psychological thrillers. There are exceptions, but I find them a bit much of a muchness.

Is Manhattan any good? I’m looking for a couple of shows to watch over the next month or two.

It’s interesting from a fictionalised historical perspective. It certainly doesn’t fit into any mould that seems popular here.

I enjoyed Manhattan. It wouldn’t be at the top echelon of stuff I’ve watched but it was good.

For those that like Danish detective thrillers like the Killing, Bridge etc. I’d highly recommend Spring Tide, a Swedish series based on a novel by the authors of Wallender. Its a little different in its set-up: a cold case university assignment is given to a young woman whose deceased father just happened to be one of the lead investigators on the case. She contacts the other lead detective on the case, who is now homeless, and they try to piece together what led to a pregnant woman being drowned. The series expired on SBS on Demand at the end of May, but inexplicably the first 6 episodes (of 10) were re-upped until early July. The remaining 4 episodes can be acquired from the usual sources (search for Springfloden). A 2nd series aired this year in Sweden and presumably will be available here within 6-12 months.

SBS on Demand has picked up the original Korean version of the Good Doctor. They’ve also just started airing it in double episodes on Viceland Tuesdays roughly around 10.30. A 2nd season will be available in July

Two other shows that may be of interest that are available for free are Killing Eve and Counterpart. Both are critically acclaimed with Eve in particular already in IMDB’s Top 250 Tv shows and received a 97% rotten tomato critic rating. I can’t recommend either as I haven’t watched them yet but Eve is available via iview and Counterpart on SBS on Demand.

Synopsis - Counterpart: A hapless UN employee discovers the agency he works for is hiding a gateway to a parallel dimension that’s in Cold War with our own, and where his other self is a top spy. The war slowly heats up thanks to spies from both sides.

Killing Eve: Eve is a bored, whip-smart security services operative whose desk-bound job doesn’t fulfil her fantasies of being a spy. Villanelle, is a talented killer who clings to the luxuries her violent job affords her. These two fierce women, equally obsessed with each other, will go head to head in an epic game of cat and mouse, toppling the typical spy-action thriller. Based on the Villanelle novellas by Luke Jennings.

4 Likes

Think I mentioned both a while back. :thinking:

Binged Killing Eve, not bad at all. Halfway through Counterpart, … must get back to it, … it got a bit exhausting.

Just watched two minutes of Love Island for lols. I thought it would be bad but it’s even worse than I imagined. Thought it might enter “so bad it’s good” territory but alas no, it’s so bad it’s putrid. There aren’t even any lols.

Can’t see how they can have a third season of Westworld.

Really?
I reckon that’s opened it right up for more seasons!
I loved the season finale.

I had only seen about 40 minutes when I wrote that.

And for anybody who thinks of stopping the watching of the show because the credits have rolled, it keeps on going. And the last twenty minutes open up for another series.

1 Like

Watched Netflix series Mars. Docudrama which blends a doco about space travel and a future manned mission to Mars with a fictional account of exactly that. Definitely worth a look for space junkies

3 Likes

Hopefully the script writers are off the magic mushrooms when they write season 3.

Canned Netflix and Stan for a few shows on Foxtel Now. Really surprised for how flaky most of their services are, how well their app works. Chromecast to the TV is instant and high quality. Not bad.

Just saw about 30 seconds of it while flicking.

Why didn’t they just call the thing “Boobjobs & Bogans”!!