TV show thread (2013-2022)

Taboo = 1814
The Terror = 1846

Wouldn’t call 32 years world’s apart, not unless you were some sort of pretentious pedant.

I called it gothic not as a period, but more the look, the feel, the vibe of both series, they could both have been filmed in B&W.

2 Likes

:thinking: Hmmm …

2 Likes

I read it as he was referring to the Jane Austen novels and Taboo, not the Terror.

You may enjoy the original version of Humans - Real Humans - Swedish one.

My bad, on re-reading I can see how it should be interpreted that way.

Noonan still likes to pull people up on what I consider trivial matters like whether it’s the Regency, Edwardian, Victorian or farking Gothic period, & I for one couldn’t give a stuff.

It is important. Why is it important, I hear you ask?

Yeah…well, not having seen The Terror, and not intending to, I was comparing Taboo with Jane Austen.

11/13ths of the way through The Staircase - a US true-crime/Court drama on Netflix. Not bad at all. Thorough. Think it’s French-made which puts a slightly different spin on it.

Started on an Indian crime- cop series called Sacred Games also on Netflix but found the English voice-overs extremely jarring and so will start it again but opt for Hindi language with English sub-titles. Looks excellent otherwise.

The missus and I finally got around to binging our way through both seasons of The Handmaid’s Tale. Talk about tough to watch but unable to look away. The finale of season 2 left me pulling my hair out. I was hoping Aunt Lydia’s final scene would involve the cattle prod, but maybe that will be next season…

2 Likes

Also, each of those period’s represents an important time in AN10’s life. For instance, he got his first handjob during the Edwardian period.

Wrong…Regency period. I was a late developer and missed out while George III still had his marbles.

2 Likes

For fans of panel shows, 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown is now on SBS Viceland (and on demand)

The premise - Letters & Numbers with comedians as contestants. Stupidly hilarious.

-edit- it’s also interspersed with skits like this. If you don’t think this is funny then I don’t care about your opinion anyway

1 Like

Bailed on that after 2-3 eps of season 2. Felt like it was going backwards instead of going no where.

It picks up again for the second half of the season, although I don’t know how much further they can take the story past one more season. Any more than that and it would be too frustrating (plus they would need to start repeating some of the themes). The end of season 2 has a few different things coming to a head for a few of the characters, so I hope they don’t try to drag it out.

Season 2 was a chore. So repetitive.

A good afternoon can be spent just scouring YouTube for best of from 8 out of 10 Cats. Hilarious, and such a great perversion of a great quiz show in the first place.

best sean lock was when he called the kids production on big fat quiz of the year terrible.

1 Like

That is burned into my memory forever

“Nothing worse than kids trying to fking act”

1 Like

Really enjoyed Lodge 49, and SMILF.

Quriky, fresh, very funny moments in both, … and interesting.

Anyone?

Also, . CONDOR wound itself up a bit fast,… but was also good, and left off with an intriguing set up to go into a new season.

Like a cross between Bourne flix and Homeland.

ABC axing Tonightly is absolutely criminal.

They shove it on the digital channel, and complain it doesn’t get viewers? Fark off.

It was gutsy, and clever, and original, and made by young people. And now the ABC have axed it, presumably so they can give those up and coming comedians Working Dog or The Chaser another show.

Fark off

1 Like