TV show thread (2013-2022)

Only problem was, … it wasn’t funny.

It was trying to be, … right??

It was extremely funny. I was pleasantly surprised with how good it was.

I never found it so, … and JFTR, … it was on the main ABC channel late, … and for a long time.

It had it’s chance, … it didn’t work.

Ballard is not Colbert or John Stewart, … who he seemed to be desperately trying to channel.

They threw it on the main channel one night a week, late (on repeat!) Hardly a good run.

If you didn’t find it funny I get that. It’s not really aimed at you though, it’s humour that is aimed at a younger audience (younger than me even.)

The ABC also needs to think strategically. It needs to attract young viewers to stay relevant, and if they don’t, they’ll find themselves defunded once all The Bill watching Boomers start to drop off the perch.

Pretty sure it was on every night late for a Month or two earlier.

IIRC??

Never heard of it tbh

Watched the first episode of Season 4 of Better Call Saul last night. Has left me wanting answers to so many questions.

Exactly!

Just d/loaded Ep 3, … it’s lost nothing this series. Just getting better.

2 Likes

I just found it tried too hard

1 Like

I like Tonightly. I shouldn’t have to watch Last Week Tonight to see pieces on Anning and Katter!

1 Like

Strong disagree here. It was absolutely terrible. There’s not enough going on in this country to warrant hour-long evening news, let alone a daily comedy show. 90% of it was phone in because… well, they had to. The cast that isn’t Ballard absolutely deserve a vehicle, but this wasn’t it.

Watched Taboo last night. Great show. I hope it gets picked up.
Also watched the Aus version of Drunk History the other night. Same deal.

Following the Pilot Week theme, I’ll watch Kinne but I don’t have high hopes for it. I think he’s near-on perfected the use of Facebook as a skit platform, but I don’t think it will carry over well to TV.

i really liked taboo as well, but wondered how many episodes you could do it for. i loved the sincere and empathetic side the comedian showed in the in-depth segments. the comedic bits, meh, but it was a great way to break the tension in short bursts. i actually voted for it. loser!

It was pretty good.

Although, with Ned Kelly and Phar Lap already done in episode 1, they’re gonna run out of obvious Aussie history pretty quick.

1 Like

The premise of the US and UK versions is telling the lesser known stories because it allows for greater embellishment. There’d have to be hundreds here you could use.

I actually don’t love Ballard. But I reckon the support cast (four comics I had never heard of) were excellent. The ABC should be supporting young comics in my view.

They do.

ABC2 (Comedy) has a lot of shows over the years with Oz Comics in them.

But most of it is online these days on iView, … coz datz where da kidz iz at now.

Ronny Cheing was on Colbert the other night, pumping up his Daily show work, another comedy show coming, and the Launch of “International Student” on to Netflix(?), … which was the ABC funded show that gave him his big break.

Rosehaven with Celia Pacquola & Luke McGregor is great, Raw Comedy, … …there are too many for me TBF writing here, … seriously.

They do a great job giving Aussies a go, … including Greenlighting this crock of half backed crap, and giving it far longer than it deserved to prove itself and improve.

It couldn’t raise an audience, … because it wasn’t very good, … and it got the fkn bullet. What more do you want?

1 Like

For them to put it in the main channel, at a decent time (say 9:30 or 10), for a year, and see how it goes.

rob beckett’s recounting on a king henry marriage is the best out of any versions of that show.