TV show thread (2013-2022)

1 Like

ATypical (Netflix) about a teenager with autism

SBS On Demand sent an email with their latest offerings.

I thought I’d give Küdamm 56 und 59 a go. Küdamm is Küfurstendamm, the big shopping street in the old West Berlin, starting up near the zoo and the bombed out Kaiser Wilhelm church, and heading west towards Charlottenburg.

Said to be Germany’s answer to Mad Men covering the early days of rock’n’roll in Germany. Started the first episode last night, and already there’s a big #MeToo moment where a wedding guest rapes the sister of the bride. I’ll see where it goes. Interested to see how much it covers of the early days of the 4 sectors before the Wall goes up.

Anyone watched Patrick Melrose?

I just watched the first 2 episodes. Very very good. The performances so far are fantastic, hope the rest of the episodes are just as good.

3 Likes

I’m watching Au service de la France aka A Very Secret Service. It’s a kooky spy show set in 60s France. It’s hilariously bent and the frenchies sure take the p1ss out of themselves and everyone else. On Netflix. I reckon @Alan_Noonan_10 might enjoy this one.

Tonightly was awesome.
It’s exactly what I want to watch late in the evening.
It was fun. Not smarmy or po-faced like Pickering.
I liked that they gave pretty much unknown stand-ups a platform, and Ballard’s interviews were great.
And obviously so were the skits. People loved them whenever they were posted on blitz.

I hope they bring it back when the ABC sorts itself out.

Je n’ai pas Netflix.

I recently watched the entire first season (8 episodes) of True Detective in one sitting on a flight from Tokyo to Melbourne.

Seem to have missed this show when it first came out. Cracking first season, with excellent chemistry between McConaughey & Harrelson. I notice the cast has changed for season 2, so am wondering whether or not to bother with it.

3 Likes

The first season was must watch TV. One of the best shows this decade imo.

The second season is just good tv. It’s worth watching but isn’t as good as the first. Still great acting.

2 Likes

Ah, cheers, dude.

Forgot to say completely different story, if you hadn’t figured that out.

Insatiable (Netflix)
Get around it.

Don’t judge me…

Yeah, I sorta guessed that, after the ending to S1.

BTW, when I was watching S1, I couldn’t help but remember episodes 5-6 of the Sword & Scale podcast - based on the Franklin Scandal/ Cover Up story. Some parallels there.

Hear hear my friend. As I’ve said earlier in the thread - if they put it on at 10:30 very weeknight on the main channel it would have found an audience.

There were bits that bombed, and were in poor taste, but wasn’t that also the case with the Late Show or early Chaser or Micallef? Taking risks is what good comedy is about, and you have to give such shows time for them to find a rhythm.

I don’t even like Ballard that much, but I thought the supporting cast was outstanding. Bridie Connell is a star, Greg Larsen is fantastic and Nina Oyama could be absolutely anything if given the opportunity.

Nah, I’m a fan.
I loved the way when a line bombed he’d either say stuff like…yeah, that was crap, or…well get ■■■■■■ then.

I think it’s worth considering who his peers are.
Pickering and Rove.
I know who I’d rather watch.

Edit: Micallef is obviously quality.

The second season would have made a brilliant stand alone film edited down. As a second season of TD, it fails to live up to the first by a long margin, that said, he first is a lot to aspire to. It wasn’t bad, in fact I really enjoyed it. Just don’t expect the same feel as the first season.

I liked it.

1 Like

Agreed. Loved the first season, but gave up halfway through the second season.

Money Heist - Netflix.

Got the hot tip to watch this from the Europeans whilst there recently so thought I’d check out this show which covers a bank heist in Spain.

Just finished both series, well worth a watch if youre wanting something different.

It’s a ripper. Great acting. Was called La Casa De Papel when I originally watched it.

1 Like