TV show thread (2013-2022)

It’s not a huge book though, small scale even. 3 seasons seems a lot. Are they off book now? Or have they really stretched it out?

• Must be nearly 20 years since I read it, maybe it is bigger than I recall

Me too

No, and it’s been years since I read it too, but at least for the first two seasons they appear to have draped it across a framework pretty well. The opposite of what they might’ve done in a film, they’ve been able to flesh out smaller moments and probably follow them a little further and take some licence. Third season is heating up, it’s pretty great.

The show follows the general story of the book fairly well, but has changed several of the characters and concepts as required (for example in the book the alternate history is a book, in the TV shows it’s a series of film-reels). The show has moved beyond the book, but (Dick’s) daughter is involved in the direction of the show as well. It’s been a while since I watched the first season, but I would have liked to see a bit more detail about how the war unfolded, leading to the eventual defeat of the US. They allude to the Nazis nuking Washington DC, but not much more than that (a couple of references to battle sites), and nothing about the Japanese campaign (did they catch the US carriers at Pearl Harbour/ win the battle of Midway? Invade Hawaii?).

Phillip K. Dick) started writing a sequel a couple of times but was never able to finish it as it required him to do heaps of research into top Nazis like Reinhard Heydrich (mastermind of the holocaust and affectionately known to Hitler as “The Man with the Iron Heart”), which he found very disturbing.

1 Like

My recollection of the book is that the Nazi victory is credited to advancements in plastics and rocket technology that get the better of the Allies. Basically the V2 program happens quicker and is a roaring success eventually leading to direct attacks on the US mainland.

1 Like

It’s been ages since I read the book too, but in it the Nazis had already sent rockets to the moon and Mars and were miles ahead on the technology side.

In the show they have effective car phones and video conferencing (b&w), can’t recall if that was a feature of the book.

Anyone who is a fan of UK panel shows (I might be the only one here) should get a hold of Taskmaster.

Greg Davies (headmaster from Inbetweeners) and Alex Horne (general funny bloke) set a group of comedians a bunch of random tasks/games/activities. Bulk of the funny comes from the lateral thinking, the justifications for choices/methods and Davies’ completely arbitrary rulings. Example from season one

The same group competes over the whole series so the rapport builds each episode.

-edit- here’s a condensed episode you can watch in 15min

5 Likes

Series 1 of Mr Mercedes was quite good.

Got to episode 2 of Series 2…that’s it! I’m out! Out of the contest!

Gone straight to full Stephen King…not interested!

They’ve gone down the supernatural route then? The second book of the trilogy had no supernatural element till the very end.

Have watched the first two episodes of season 1 and I’m hooked already.

Love how different it is.

1 Like

That looks great.

Can’t believe the tattoo!

Not supernatural, per se.

incredible.

I just watched season 3 of Daredevil.
Oh my f*cking god.

I never binge watch shows. I couldn’t stop.

One of the best seasons of TV I’ve ever seen.
The character arcs, the plot twists, the fight scenes… absolutely sensational. I couldn’t look away.

Marvel Netflix has let itself down over the last 18 months, with the exception on The Punisher. This season of Daredevil is a completely new level.

2 Likes

Interesting. Id sort of written off the Netflix Marvel shows. Liked s1 Dd, thought 2 was just ok, ditto cage, haven’t watched the rest. Might need to give S3 a look

Finished the Americans, awesome, loved it. Wish there was more.

3 Likes

Finished part 2 of making a murderer. No spoilers other than wow…

1 Like

you probably need to watch the Defenders, to be totally across the story line of season 3.

Only a decade late, I’m watching Breaking Bad.

It’s good, but it’s not living up to the hype.