TV show thread (2013-2022)

Cricket’s always a good thing

1 Like

Half way through season 2 of the Sinner on Netflix, pretty solid so far

1 Like

The sexual harassment seminar was a top 5 Always Sunny ep, peak Dennis fuckery. Escape room and rangerover ep also good.

Then it fell off a cliff. They don’t write most of the eps anymore and it shows.

I did chortle heartily at Frank stuffing chicken up his nose to stop the bleeding tho.

2 Likes

I had Always Sunny recommended to me years ago. Watched the first couple of episodes, one of which involved the crew getting a heap of college freshmen (women) hammered for purposes of sexual conquest. Couldn’t take any more.

I’m far from politically correct, but that’s a bridge too far for me.

It’s a difficult one to explain to anyone who hasn’t given it at least a season. And I don’t reckon they had their ‘philosophy’ sorted in the first season either - don’t think anyone expected it to be more than out of work comedian/actors making part time work for themselves. It’s fearsomely irreverent but in most cases clearly taking the ■■■■ out of the very attitudes and actions they’re portraying. It’s brutal and hilarious at times, and gives you faith that, obviously, not all the yanks are insular nuts.

Plus it’s absurdist comedy. I’ll happily watch an ep of Its Always… back to back with Toast of London and not need to adjust my radar. That millions of people would sooner watch Big Bang Theory doesn’t surprise me at all. Just look at the state of us.

1 Like

Once you’ve watched three episodes of Big Bang, 2 Broke Girls or 2.5 Men, your teeth start to rot and symptoms of diabetes appear.

As funny as explosive diarrhoea.

3 Likes

Stumbled across Counterpart, picqued my interest because of JK Simmons. Enjoyed the premise and S2 is about to land. Anyone watched/thoughts?

Really dug it. He’s great and the rest of the cast not shabby either. Something different and set in Berlin to boot.

To be fair ED has its moments, if you’re not the protagonist.

1 Like

I’m not going to recommend this to anybody but I finished the first series of Küdamm 56. I was interested to see how they handled the years after the war.

It’s about a family who own a dance academy in Küdamm, the premier shopping street of West Berlin. Father disappeared on the Russian front and hasn’t returned to the academy. Rock and roll is coming and the mother does not like it, but the youngest daughter, Monika, does.

Three girls…one marries a guy who’s connected but gay, second one, Eva, is obsessed by the neurosurgeon she works for. He has a very murky war past and practises ECT.

The wall isn’t up yet, and the interaction between this family and people in the Soviet eastern sector is interesting.

Another series, Küdamm 59, is set 3 years later,2 years from the wall being built. Interesting to see the dramatisation of a time of massive cultural change.

I’m trying to refrain from anything significant in the storyline. But, while it’s a little slow, so much potential.

Yeah, I love sitcoms but couldn’t get into any of them. The only ones I watch now are Modern Family and Curb your enthusiasm

Just hammered through Bodyguard on Netflix.

As mentioned above, it’s pretty damn good. The ending was a bit, well, convenient, but it still works.

1 Like

B5.

I reckon bsg started running out of steam about half way through S3. To that point is was mint.

In terms of a planned story arc, B5 has it covered. Acting and FX a little hammy and aged by modern standards though

1 Like

Alright, appreciate that rundown, I was told about this show and promptly forgot. Massively interested in anything along these lines so thanks for waking me up.

Watched half an episode of BB, never seen 2 BGs and only a couple of minutes of 2.5 Men. I have no wish to see any more of them.

I always wanted to be just like Charlie on 2.5 blokes without the rest of the Family, but think I ended up more like Leonard, who at least got the girl.

l will take your word for it, as l have no idea what it means and am not inclined to try and find out. :wink:

Atlanta

Very late to the party but man, its enjoyable.

1 Like

Have you watched Treme.

It is about New Orleans after Katrina. Hard to get into, but music is great and if you persist it is worth it.