TV show thread (2013-2022)

It is a disgrace. In fact reality tv period is a blight on humanity. Years from now people will look back and just shake their heads and say what were they thinking.

I barely watch TV now, other than the sbs food channel (when its not reality TV) and the news. Occasionally abc has a good show as well. Netflix and Stan have what I need, or ABC iview.

Oh and also something called AFL which will start soon. Although I prefer watching that on the AFL live app.

2 Likes

Where do we get celebrities from if not manufacturing a dozen or so every one of these shows.

People watching this tripe should be struck off the electoral roll.

As i sit here watching Vegan Week on Great British Bake Off, to be followed by 8 out of 10 Cats Do Countdown.

ABC ABC2 ABC NEWS 24 SBS SBS VICE NITV SBS FOOD

If not for those Channels, I doubt I’d have an antenna.

1 Like

Add in SBS On Demand which seems(to me, anyway) to have a heap of other shows and movies not originally shown on the other SBS channels.

I’ve just started watching a Canadian series, Mary Kills People, about a doctor providing illegal voluntary euthanasia being chased by the police.

3 eps in…not bad.

SBSOD are slow putting the last ep of Series 3 of Berlin Station up, seeing torrents came down yesterday and they don’t have to do many English subtitles. Original cut would have had German, Estonian and Russian dialogue already subtitled.

They are the same people who post comments on Essendon articles on the News websites.

I’ve always wondered why members of the actors guild and other related unions haven’t picketed network studios that allow these scab workers that take their jobs.

Thats essentially what these reality people are, scabs. No talent, no experience, paid peanuts, taking valuable stage time off actual unionised skilled actors, screenwriters, directors, etc etc etc.

I can’t wait for the day to see the latest fat uninformed couch-riding, wine sipping slob, mouth off to their tv while a molotov cocktail thrown by Sigrid Thornton smashes through their window. That’s a googlebox episode i’d watch.

3 Likes

Actors are generally busy with other stuff like scraping a living. Artists don’t have much in the way of resources let alone organisation, let alone any public sympathy. Back to tv of quality, just watched a 6 part Spanish series set in Seville amid plague and inquisition, very well put together murder investigation with a damaged Protestant printer as the lead and some excellent atmosphere. They’ve taken the Scandi blueprint and set it in the walls of an old city. A friend in Germany sent it to me, not sure where it’d be otherwise but the kind of thing SBS eats up. “The Plague” or “La Peste”

I started this one, but put it away for other preferences. It’s on my Continue Watching list on SBSOD.

Definitely worth it. Slow burn but nails the utter grimness, claustrophobia, heat and rot that is organised religion…I mean plague.

And for me, Seville (and Andalusia) is the real Spain.

I’ll be in Melbourne for a few days in March around Labour Day, and I see Yo, Carmen is on at Hamer Hall. Except after an Essendon Geelong game, the music from Carmen is great. A real flamenco show.

And note that Yo means I in Spanish, not Hi.

1 Like

Finally finished dynasties. The tiger one wa horrendous. Terribly cut episode.

Do yourselves a favour and watch the one on the painted wolves.

The soundtrack is awesome as well
The Umbrella Academy , wow great season. Sort of expecting a typical superhero season, it is what Hero’s should of been. Great story line and had a definite ending, characters are fantastic and wants me wanting to know more.

“I just did a Patrick Swayze”

I couldn’t stop watching and did the first season in two nights.

Five stars here

How freaking tank is Dikon?

I Am the Night. Pretty great series with Chris Pine. Great atmosphere, post war LA, creepy noir. Think Black Dahlia, Chinatown, LA Confidential, True Detective. And the story is based on actual events. They spent some money too, looks and sounds fantastic.

The horror?

The really big dude. He played Dickon Tarly in The Game of Thrones. I’m pretty sure there’s no spoiler here:

Luther, moon man[quote=“hambo, post:5086, topic:125, full:true”]
The really big dude. He played Dickon Tarly in The Game of Thrones. I’m pretty sure there’s no spoiler here:

[/quote]

Also from the very excellent Black Sails

Anyone watched Counterpart and if so is it worth it?

Two answers, yes Black Sails is great, definitely worth persisting through patchy first season. And ditto Counterpart but it’s solid from go to whoa. Loving Patriot at the moment. And a new YouTube Exclusive, Wayne looks pretty good.

1 Like