TV show thread (2013-2022)

Canadian one. I haven’t watched the cartoon one yet.

1 Like

In that case I suggest you also keep away from Russian novels.

I tried the cartoon, had a few moments but to be honest I moved past the show a while ago. It’s definitely got a couple of great seasons in it though. Canadian trailer trash is the best kind

1 Like

I finished it the other day.

I thought it was great except for like 2 out of the 3 last episodes where it went a bit too Stephen King-ey.

Be interesting to see if season 2 carries on with the same plot or not.

Pathos mate, … pathos.

I thought it resonated with the whole seiries theme, and pretty much mirrored reality.

Cobra Kai

Karate kid rebooted

Get amongst it

2 Likes

Been working through some computer issues - here’s your update: https://tvtonight.com.au/2019/05/the-very-strange-case-of-bosch-season-5.html

Bottom line: VPN, torrents or move to New Zealand for a few months.

Amazon Prime is on my TV (LG OLED from early 2018). Can I run a VPN on my TV? I have a VPN on my computer.

talk to @bugman5 when he returns from holiday!

1 Like

I know I’m in the minority but I love that season. It’s the one that makes all the others (including the first) make sense.

3 Likes

Laptop? (Not that that matters maybe?? :thinking:) but if you also have a chromecast or HDMI running from puter to TV, you’re in business.

I have an iMac (recent) which is connected through Ethernet
Movies/programs are loaded into iTunes
Apple TV connected through wifi to both the iMac (iTunes) and to the internet
Apple TV connected through HDMI to the TV
There is a Prime Video active app on both the TV and Apple TV. Ditto all the standard apps like SBS On Demand, ABC iView.
I don’t have Netflix. SBS On Demand keeps me busy enough. I do have Amazon Prime Video ($7 a month)
Regrettably this year, MLB.tv app no longer works on LG OS, so I have to watch baseball through the Apple TV box.
The Apple TV is the version before the 4K version.
I don’t have a laptop (except the old man’s 5 year old Dell) which I’ll dispose of once his estate is finally cleared - certainly after tax time this year. It won’t be going near the TV. It’s pretty crap. I just have no need for a laptop.

There may well be, i.e. there is but don’t ask questions, a copy of Bosch Series 5 on iTunes…so it’s not important from a “watching it” POV, but that was only done after Amazon pulled the series.

PS the TV and the computer are in different rooms.

You should, your TV will connect via wifi. You can go into your wifi settings setup and manually enter in your VPN ip address. Sorted!

You lost me after you wrote Apple.

PM’d a possible solution to your dilemma though.

Ta…but I used a torrent to get it all. Converted to mp4, loaded to iTunes and have it available. It all downloaded very quickly at 720p (45mbps download speed).

There’s rarely sufficient urgency that i need to start watching before it finishes downloading.

For instance, GOT comes down starting at 11am. I don’t think i’ve started watching before 5pm. Unless it’s live sport, I don’t turn the TV on before 5pm.

And I don’t think i can ever go back to Windows. I just grew to hate it, and osX walks all over it.

With Bosch, I would have just been happy to watch it thru Amazon’s app, but if they take our money and then hold it up, then farkem.

If it weren’t for Mrs Maisel, I’d scrub them.

I used to do this years ago, however I found that so many times the converting to mp4/m4v would cause frame drops, at times pixelation and general issues with surround sound converting. Also films with subtitles were a problem as the subs would sometimes not convert over or be out of sync.

Years of frustraition,then I found Plex. Install plex on your mac and apple tv and use that for your movies rather than the god awful itunes. Its free, you never need to convert the file. All you need to make sure is that the files are named properly e.g. “Aliens (1986)”, “Game of Thrones S02E05.” and plex will display perfect meta data for you. You’ll literaly just download the file, rename it is need be and drag it into the relevant folder. Done, no converting, no imputing meta data, no finding subs.

You’re welcome!

1 Like

Or just get a real Computer / Laptop that you actually own and can choose to do and use whatever you want with and a chromecast and do none of that.

You’re so way more welcome.

Kodi is the only way to go if you have good internet.

1 Like

if someones banging on about about a ‘real’ computer, they better be talking some non-graphical interface because everything else is telemetry and data collecting.

Thanks for all the advice, but I’ve been doing this for 10-15 years.

I just wondered if I could get a VPN’ed Amazon Prime NZ feed direct to my TV.

I haven’t had any problems with converting to iTunes format, nor with iTunes.

I believe iTunes has issues in the Windows version, but it’s written natively for Mac and works fine.