TV show thread (2013-2022)

Someone mentioned the heist movie La Casa De Papel on Netflix a while back. The same makers have got a series on SBS On Demand called The Pier (El Embarcadero) that I have one episode (of 8) to go.

A successful Valencia architect, Alejandra, is informed that her husband, Oscar (one of the stars of :a Casa) has committed suicide on a pier in the Albufera, a wetlands reserve just south of Valencia. In looking through his phone, she discovers he has been leading a double life with another woman in the Albufera and indeed, has had a daughter by her.

She inveigles her way into the other woman’s life, and for the first 5 episodes, it’s all about the grieving. But then various facts pop up that mean it might not have been suicide.

Quite an enjoyable show. Alex, played by Verónica Sánchez, is a stunner.

Funny thing is that with the recent series I saw, I Know Who You Are, set in Barcelona, and this one set in Valencia, halfway down the Mediterranean coast from Barcelona, there doesn’t seem to be any indication that Spanish (or castellano) is not the first language in those cities. Obviously people are bilingual but there’s no indication of another language, and both are modern-day, not Franco-era when other languages were essentially banned. Valencian is considered a separate language, but is really a dialect of Catalan.

i was looking forward to it since someone posted the preview in here awhile ago.

watched the first ep and was meh, i get there’s only gonna be so much you can do, i think it’s just the all pommy cast essentially playing english speaking russians just is eh.

You have incredibly high standards if this series registers just a “eh” on your review.

The production values are incredible so dialogue is hardly even required to be enjoyed.

1 Like

Having watched the last episode of The Pier, I’m sure all the fans on BarcaBlitz are grizzling about the ending.

I’m not one of those who wants everything tied up with a nice little bow, but there were a couple of things they could have tied up, rather than ending on a sapphic pash.

Dark Season 2 is out next month.

1 Like

I assume that was the end of season 2 of Killing Eve.

Yeah, I’m gonna have to go back and re-watch season 1 for this one.

1 Like

Bit of a fizzer, moved along like the rushed finale of a cancelled series, (which I highly doubt it is). And I reckon a few Roman travel guides will be interested in that short tunnel that leads from the Trastevere to Hadrians Villa🤔.

I found the first (and the subsequent) episodes incredibly powerful and had me awake longer than I wanted to be.

2 Likes

I am only up to episode 3 but I have found it to be brilliant.

I love that its not over the top or melodramatic and the production is as good as you can get.

2 Likes

June 5. Ohhhh yeah. Depress me baby

4 Likes

I recently saw a show on ABC iView called Mrs Wilson, starring the granddaughter of the eponymous Mrs Wilson, Ruth Wilson.

In 1963, her husband, Alexander, played by Iain Glen (Ser Jorah Mormont) has a heartie and dies in their house in Ealing. She’s shattered, and doubly shattered when a woman fronts up saying she’s his wife and wants the effects. She’d met when he was working as a Bletchley Park type in about 1941.

She starts trying to work out what’s going on, by questioning Fiona Shaw, playing much the same role as in Killing Eve, and saying he was sacked as a spy in 1942 and to shut up, or she, and her two sons, will suffer.

She starts forging stuff, trying to keep what appears to be the truth, from her young adults sons from finding. Two more wives appear.

But one Indian guy keeps sticking up for him, he did invaluable work in pre-partition India.

The guy did write 27 novels, generally spy novels, but the British, despite denying his work, have still kept all of his work secret, even as lately as a couple of years ago.

Makes you wonder what lies and fake promises the Poms made in settling the partition.

The still won’t release details of the Irish Treaty, and that was 98 years ago. My suspicion is that it will uncover members of prominent Irish families as having been traitors to the Irish cause.

1 Like

I watched that show 6 months ago and enjoyed it, and I’m glad I already had, because anyone reading that post has just had it completely fkn ruined for them you inconsiderate spoiling dolt.

1 Like

Haha!

Inside No 9 isn’t bad. I’ve finished season 1. It’s from the guys who made League of Gentlemen and Psychoville.

Also, not sure if anyone else mentioned After Life with Ricky Gervais. Very enjoyable.

Very intense.

Tried to put in the spoiler tags and they didn’t work. There’s a hell of a lot more to that show than what I wrote.

Other than virtually the whole plot / story, and blowing the major surprises / twists, … yeah, … right.

A child could use the spoiler function, . it really couldn’t be simpler.

Highlight text, … hit settings wheel (last icon on the right) ,… click blur spoiler, … I mean, … fk. :roll_eyes:

Which is exactly what i did.

Worked the last few times I’d done it.

I bet it’s that you didn’t have the spoiler tags on their own line.