TV show thread (2013-2022)

i’m pretty sure you meant the kardashians HAD their baby showers there, hence …

In the last 2 weeks I have had 3 separate conversations about the Chernobyl series with people around my age - late 30s/early 40s who were living in the Soviet Union at the time. They all have loved the show for its realism - in particular how the props perfectly captured how things appeared then. The stand out prop appears to have been the ash trays! One of the girls lived very nearby - in a town with a river that flowed from Chernobyl. Her parents still live there to this day and she was of the view there wasn’t much impact on the way people went about their life’s post the disaster.

Also it was interesting from their perspective to reflect on how the western propaganda painted (and still does) the Soviet lifestyle in a completely inaccurate way to their memories. They all seemed to love their childhood and had heaps of fun. Of course they didn’t know anything different but their view is that the world was nothing like the gloomy picture painted by the western media in movies/tv shows etc.

1 Like

That’s hardly surprising. Propoganda is quite evil in many respects and would be considered entirely unconscionable and misleading in a corporate setting. Compromised and hypocrisy.

For a bit of fun you should read bolt’s review of the series in the hun today. I read it in the cafe today.

I saw the headline online and clicked on it before I realised who’s work it was. It was an amazing piece of fiction even for Bolt.

1 Like

First episode of a new heist show Jett appeared the other day. Stars Carla Gugino (Spin City, Sin City, San Andreas) as an ex-con thief.

Finally finished watching the Sopranos - holy ■■■■ what a ride! Really hope they don’t ■■■■ up the movie (must be coming out soon-ish?)

3 Likes

The Sopranos is epic - one of the greatest TV series. Have you seen The Wire? Another brilliant series. Highly recommend.

4 Likes

Are they making a movie? I can think of one significant reason why that might be problematical.

The ending of the series is one a lot of people have had a significant grizzle about. I thought it was great.

1 Like

Anyone else watched The Last Kingdom? Three series so far released.
Set in the 9th century like Vikings, but mainly from the Saxon side of things.

and yet i reckon history will show america has and is the worst user of it. I keep saying the only difference between nazi germany and america is america was smart enough to use propaganda to deceive the whole world, not just their own citizens.

I can believe the post above yours about how different the peoples memories are compared to american driven western views. America has and always will need a big bad boogieman that’s out to get them.
first it was russia and will always be in the backdrop, then it was bin laden, suddam, then when they go both of them, it went back to russia for a bit, then isis appeared, then north korea, then russia for alil bit again now it’s iran.

Russia is just the fear mongering tool to them, to keep their idiot citizens worried about a non threat, so they can justify their military budgets.

on the actual tv show, i may have to give it another look over, I just couldn’t get past the pommie actors trying to play russians. yes i know the effects and that were very good.

3 Likes

Watched the first 2 seasons. Thought the first was quite good if slightly b grade. 2nd felt a bit sillier. I watched the first ep of the third and didn’t feel the urge to continue

This.

Might have only been the 1st Season, (which wasn’t too bad at all), . and maybe half of S2 b4 I just forgot to watch any more.

Pretty sure it’s supposed to be a prequel about Tony’s dad’s heyday.

I didn’t mind the ending, though I knew what would happen thanks to endless references in other shows over the years.

Best ending in TV history in my view. Your interpretation of what happened Jezz, as someone who has just watched it? I think it’s obvious but others have different views.

Half time at the vfl quick thoughts:

The man in the leather jacket who goes to the bathroom grabs a gun there godfather-style. He comes out just as Meadow enters and shoots Tony. AJ definitely does something moronic and selfish, and gets himself shot also.
I reckon the gunman’s getaway car somehow got parked in by Meadow - comedy ensues.

After whacking Phil, I don’t see how Tony doesn’t get killed - even if it was with the blessing of some NY captains, there is too much bad blood.

What are everyone else’s theories?

I think that title goes to The Shield.

Underrated show but in my top handful.

I thought the Shield really dropped off late. IIRC I didn’t watch the last few eps.

Haven’t watched it in aegis.

I’ve watched all three seasons (I’ve also read all the books on which it is based).

Personally, I’ve thought it has improved with each season, especially in terms of the production.

2 Likes

I watched the first episode of Catch-22 before. Looks really good.

Question… the blonde that Yossarian was porking…was she Scheisskopf’s wife? The only time I saw her elsewhere was next to him at the passing out parade

But it looks good…Clooney and Hugh Laurie right on!

Now watching the first episode of Chernobyl.