Umberto Eco and Harper Lee....laters

Eco famous for The Name of the Rose, Lee of course for To Kill a Mockingbird.

Wouldn’t mind betting that Harper Lee had little conscious knowledge of Go Set a Watchman being published, seeing how it was so contrary to TKAM. I strongly suspect that some shady relative or her agent found the manuscript in a drawer somewhere.

Oh! Umberto also???
Love his books. Sad.

http://theonion.com/article/harper-lee-announces-third-novel-my-excellent-care-50840

http://theonion.com/article/harper-lee-announces-third-novel-my-excellent-care-50840

Nice link Noons.
You absolutely Risdaled that.

I’m sure Harper Lee was a admirable person, she certainly came across that way in the “Capote” movie(one of the children from Mockingbird is based on Truman C) and multiple millions of avid fans can’t be wrong, but I hated that book, in fact I think I hate all the books I was force fed at school to make me a better person. I was horrified to hear recently that it is still being used in a nearby school as Year 10 English fodder. “The Name Of The Rose” in contrast was an unadulterated delight, that rare and precious object-a page turning literary thriller. I remember racing out to buy his follow up and being massively underwhelmed. It was OK but it wasn’t in the league of “Rose”. Read one or 2 others but…the thrill had gone. So in a way they were both one hit wonders for me but I’m sure they’ll be cherished by others.
PS I note the reference to Lee’s “2” novels but my understanding is that “Watchman” is the early draft of “Mockingbird” that Lee was told to alter if she wished to have published. The difference between a draft and a successful novel? A skilled and pushy editor, and Lee’s editor, Tay Hohoff, is alleged to have had more than the customary influence on the final product.

I'm sure Harper Lee was a admirable person, she certainly came across that way in the "Capote" movie(one of the children from Mockingbird is based on Truman C) and multiple millions of avid fans can't be wrong, but I hated that book, in fact I think I hate all the books I was force fed at school to make me a better person. I was horrified to hear recently that it is still being used in a nearby school as Year 10 English fodder. "The Name The Rose" in contrast was an unadulterated delight, that rare and precious object-a page turning literary thriller. I remember racing out to buy his follow up and being massively underwhelmed. It was OK but it wasn't in the league of "Rose". Read one or 2 others but...the thrill had gone. So in a way they were both one hit wonders for me but I'm sure they'll be cherished by others. PS I note the reference to Lee's "2" novels but my understanding is that "Watchman" is the early draft of "Mockingbird" that Lee was told to alter if she wished to have published. The difference between a draft and a successful novel? A skilled and pushy editor, and Lee's editor, Tay Hohoff, is alleged to have had more than the customary influence on the final product.

Name of the Rose is a cracking good thriller.
His other works - like Foucault’s Pendulum, and Island of the Day Before, I found to be works of genius.

Can we agree to disagree on “Foucault’s Pendulum”?

Nice link Noons.
You absolutely Risdaled that.

I’ve now unRidsdaled it.

Have another dip, you grumpy old sod.

Can we agree to disagree on "Foucault's Pendulum"?

Sure.
But tell me you got to somewhere in the middle - where the protagonist’s girlfriend goes on a 2-page rant about the meaning of life - that you hated that, and then we’ll agree :slight_smile:

I finished it ages ago and have forgotten all the particulars but retain the sense that it was highbrow Dan Brown.

I finished it ages ago and have forgotten all the particulars but retain the sense that it was high brow Dan Brown.

grrrrrrr…Dan ■■■■■■ Brown???
Ok - we can agree to disagree hahaha

Dan Brown is the poor man’s Umberto.

Foucault’s pendulum was fantastic … an absolute tome … but fantastic.

I'm sure Harper Lee was a admirable person, she certainly came across that way in the "Capote" movie(one of the children from Mockingbird is based on Truman C) and multiple millions of avid fans can't be wrong, but I hated that book, in fact I think I hate all the books I was force fed at school to make me a better person. I was horrified to hear recently that it is still being used in a nearby school as Year 10 English fodder. "The Name Of The Rose" in contrast was an unadulterated delight, that rare and precious object-a page turning literary thriller. I remember racing out to buy his follow up and being massively underwhelmed. It was OK but it wasn't in the league of "Rose". Read one or 2 others but...the thrill had gone. So in a way they were both one hit wonders for me but I'm sure they'll be cherished by others. PS I note the reference to Lee's "2" novels but my understanding is that "Watchman" is the early draft of "Mockingbird" that Lee was told to alter if she wished to have published. The difference between a draft and a successful novel? A skilled and pushy editor, and Lee's editor, Tay Hohoff, is alleged to have had more than the customary influence on the final product.

l was never forced to read “To Kill a Mockingbird” in high school, although l was certainly well aware of it. l didn’t read it until much later, in my late 20’s. By then l had seen the film and was able to appreciate it a lot more and recognize it fir the literary masterpiece it is. As good as the film is, and it is good enough to stand on its own as a classic as well, the book is simply superb. To tell the story from the perspective of Scout, was a stroke of genius. Lurve that book.

And here I was thinking that the Willis’ were the only dorks to call their kid Scout.

And here I was thinking that the Willis' were the only dorks to call their kid Scout.

It was only a nickname. Mary something appeared on the birth certificate, but that may just be a rumour.

Is there an Eco in here?

Not any longer

…longer… longer … longer …