Umpires

Sad to see Jordan Bannister give umpiring away to spend his time looking after brother. Personally I thought he did a good job - especially his first year, he was a little distracted after his brother's accident. As a former player he seemed to have a lot more of a feel for the game. The AFL should be encouraging players who are cut after a few years on an AFL list into pursuing this career path. 

The issue with full time umpires is that there is just so much down time. If you make them fully professional you need have them umpiring at least more than once a week. Also what do you have them do between the Grand Final and the start of the NAB cup? Maybe they could double as the AFL executive or something that would actually be useful. 

I know an umpire.

After not reporting one guy lightly pushing another guy in the face because there was nothing in it, he was specifically told "It's not your job to decide whether it's reportable or not, always report it".

So, of course, the next time there was an absolutely nothing-in-it incident in his area, he had to report it, the player hated him for it, it got thrown out, and the review video they do made him look like an absolute idiot.

It's a great system.

All hail the AFL. All hail the Geisch.

That one umpire would need to be the worlds fittest man to control the entire game. Even the players wouldn't cover that much ground.

The simple solution is full time umpires. Players got better when they went full time, coaches got better when they went full time - everybody improves the more you do something. Make them full time, the fact they aren't already is just weird.

You dont to be uber fit to run between to 50m arcs.

Farm me I can see when someone chops someone elses arms from the grandstand, we dont need the umpire 5m away.

Get one of them making 90% of the decisions and consistency wihtin the game will improve. Still might be ■■■■ decision but at least they are consistent across the field.

That one umpire would need to be the worlds fittest man to control the entire game. Even the players wouldn't cover that much ground.

The simple solution is full time umpires. Players got better when they went full time, coaches got better when they went full time - everybody improves the more you do something. Make them full time, the fact they aren't already is just weird.

Farm me I can see when someone chops someone elses arms from the grandstand, we dont need the umpire 5m away.

Get one of them making 90% of the decisions and consistency wihtin the game will improve. Still might be **** decision but at least they are consistent across the field.

Of course you can see things from an elevated position that someone at ground level can't.

Get one of them making 90% of the decisions and consistency wihtin the game will improve. Still might be **** decision but at least they are consistent across the field.

Of course you can see things from an elevated position that someone at ground level can't.

imagine if NIcholls was the only umpire in our game. Would be a riot before qtr time.

One umpire just isn't possible. Game is way too quick now, not only do they have to run 50m sprints, they also have to make sure they are then in the right spot to give Joel Selwood a free kick for a head high tackle. There not robots!

There’s no way a single umpire could do the whole ground.

Umpires could be put into teams of 3 at the start of the year and umpire with those other 2 in every game they do, get used to umpiring together and consistency should follow

There's no way a single umpire could do the whole ground.
Umpires could be put into teams of 3 at the start of the year and umpire with those other 2 in every game they do, get used to umpiring together and consistency should follow

FWIW I agree with this last bit. ■■■■■ me when you get 1 ump who clearly thinks the rules are different to the others.

When Nichols gets a grand final then you know the maggots are no good. Geischen and the rules committee (KB) are an absolute disgrace and the sooner the AFL get rid of them the better.

And Jeff when you do get your marching orders take Vlad with you. AND DONT FARKING COME BACK.

lovely chelsea

Umpiring will never get better, just will continue in the mediocrity that we see every year.  Need to forget about it.

lovely chelsea

Pity she's barely average at her job.