University Costs

I'm sure the Coalition are trembling at losing all those uni student votes.

Yeah disenfranchising an entire generation is smart long term policy.
You don't think there are Liberal voters and swing voters who go to university? This is possibly the one thing I've noticed people with zero political interest actually take some notice of.
And despite the smart ■■■ attitude that seems to be filling this thread, paying on average an extra 40k for a degree isn't a small thing. It effects all students and most students are studying things you want society to have. The higher interest rate is particularly bad for women, as they are most likely to take time off in their career. But I guess Children are first on the list (before students) that society has begun to have an irrational distaste for. So it probably doesn't matter.
For comparison my degree will cost $25,000. My sister who enters university next year and will be studying the same field will be up for $57,000.
But yeah, let's gloss over it by pretending university students are overwhelmingly studying made up subjects and all have a laugh, because lol upwards of 55k debt when you're just starting adult life.

964437-f00231ba-5e46-11e4-9c68-d403f5dcc

They would be. Ever heard of the Young Liberals, who dominate every student union elected nationwide?

I have better fashion sense.

Solid response though.

I'm looking to return to Uni over the next few years. How dumb am I?!

If only I had the willpower 10 years ago.

They would be. Ever heard of the Young Liberals, who dominate every student union elected nationwide?

What !!!!

You don't think there are Liberal voters and swing voters who go to university? This is possibly the one thing I've noticed people with zero political interest actually take some notice of.
And despite the smart ■■■ attitude that seems to be filling this thread, paying on average an extra 40k for a degree isn't a small thing. It effects all students and most students are studying things you want society to have. The higher interest rate is particularly bad for women, as they are most likely to take time off in their career. But I guess Children are first on the list (before students) that society has begun to have an irrational distaste for. So it probably doesn't matter.
For comparison my degree will cost $25,000. My sister who enters university next year and will be studying the same field will be up for $57,000.
But yeah, let's gloss over it by pretending university students are overwhelmingly studying made up subjects and all have a laugh, because lol upwards of 55k debt when you're just starting adult life.

People under 25 overwhelmingly skew left. As they get older they generally move right.

Its been happening for centuries.

To your point though - I don't see why I have to pay for future doctors and lawyers etc when they will be earning hundreds of thousands of dollars in 10 years or so.

A degree is an investment. An investment by its very definition means you have to outlay something to get something back.

Correct. I started and operate a reasonably successful business without incurring any education costs. Not sure why I should subsidise someone else’s.

What !!!!

It's rather interesting.

The Liberals attacking on universities is weird, because for the most part, they are actually attacking their own.

Go to any university in any major city. Have a look at the student unions. You will find that the Young Liberals are either in control of them, or in a dominant position on the executives. That is directly linked to Canberra. Wyatt Roy and Alex Hawke, both current sitting members on the backbench, come directly from the student unions of the universities they went to.

And to think the Liberals attack Labor about unionism. They embrace it themselves (mind you they also aren't exactly arms length from the ACCI with Peter Hendy, the Institute Of Public Affairs - expect Tim Wilson to be elected next time around - the former president of the Monash university student union when I was there and the nationals are very cosy with the National Farmers Federation too).

Free education is a misnomer.

It costs (a lot), and therefore someone has to pay for it.

People under 25 overwhelmingly skew left. As they get older they generally move right.

Its been happening for centuries.

To your point though - I don't see why I have to pay for future doctors and lawyers etc when they will be earning hundreds of thousands of dollars in 10 years or so.

A degree is an investment. An investment by its very definition means you have to outlay something to get something back.

I would say the return is a society where your citizens can become a doctor, nurse, teacher, paramedic, scientist, lawyer, etc. Plus having them in stable, well earning careers, avoiding long term reliance on the government is getting something back. You get a well running society in return for the investment.

As for voting, yeah the youth is overwhelmingly skewed left, but you don't want to lose the ones who aren't. Swing voters are a group neither party can afford to lose, and the current Liberal government has obviously lost the group who will keep them in power because if an election were held today, they would lose, they received no honeymoon period. Rudd was still polling at 60 percent 2pp until January 2010. So yes, I think the liberal party do care about the votes of student, and the youth, because even though those two groups are generally left, there is also a solid amount of them who are swing voters, and ■■■■■■■ them off is not going to help a government that can not afford to more votes going elsewhere.

can't wait til my hecs is cleared in a few months. extra earnings here we come.....

I agree with DayTripper - competence and aptitude should have nothing to do with it. Education is an investment and if you can't afford it you don't deserve it.

I agree with DayTripper - competence and aptitude should have nothing to do with it. Education is an investment and if you can't afford it you don't deserve it.

I agree. Get rid of all our redundant unis. Melbourne really only needs Toorak and Brighton campuses

I'm at uni right now, and close to finishing my double degree. As long as all this bad stuff happens after I finish I'll be OK.

afaik, as long as you don't defer or take a leave of absence you'll remain on the scheme when you originally enrolled.

I'm at uni right now, and close to finishing my double degree. As long as all this bad stuff happens after I finish I'll be OK.

afaik, as long as you don't defer or take a leave of absence you'll remain on the scheme when you originally enrolled.

Mostly yes, but you will be paying higher interest. Mine only goes up by like 5 k and 2 years, that's a long way away from what new student's will pay.

I really want to do a masters one day. Already costs 45k if you’re not “poor”, god knows what it’ll cost now :(.

I really want to do a masters one day. Already costs 45k if you're not "poor", god knows what it'll cost now :(.

Get your employer to pay for it, thats what I did, saved me a fortune :)

I really want to do a masters one day. Already costs 45k if you're not "poor", god knows what it'll cost now :(.

Get your employer to pay for it, thats what I did, saved me a fortune :)

Might be the only way to get a qualification soon.

Correct. I started and operate a reasonably successful business without incurring any education costs. Not sure why I should subsidise someone else's.

Is this the same argument as 'I don't have kids so why should I subsidise their education?'

No kids tax break?

Correct. I started and operate a reasonably successful business without incurring any education costs. Not sure why I should subsidise someone else's.

Is this the same argument as 'I don't have kids so why should I subsidise their education?'
No kids tax break?
No.
My kids won't walk out of high school into a $100k/year job.