University Costs

Plus they have to go to school. People choose to go to uni.

If I want to be a Doctor, Lawyer, Accountant or Plumber I don't 'choose' to go to school I have to go to school

I was saying my kids don't choose to go to primary/high school.

Doctors, Lawyers and Accountants can pay for the higher education they receive.

But you chose to have kids.

I sure did.

Your point?

You had kids but want everyone to pitch in for their upbringing.

Do you know what a BSc is DT? Do you know what the wages are for most BSc grads? Or indeed, the ones who have been in it for a while? Do you know the value that BSc's provide to Australia?

You're right that university education is an investment. You're just very, very confused about who get's the return.

And no-one would. That's why I called you an idiot. Idiot.

Do you know what a BSc is DT? Do you know what the wages are for most BSc grads? Or indeed, the ones who have been in it for a while? Do you know the value that BSc's provide to Australia?

You're right that university education is an investment. You're just very, very confused about who get's the return.

Well I for one am glad that people won;t be wasting 100K of my money getting degrees when there is no job at the end of it.

But then again, I am a mere taxpayer and not a student.

Well I for one am glad that people won;t be wasting 100K of my money getting degrees when there is no job at the end of it.

Everyone pays tax! It's called a GST.

No, you're just a deadshit troll.

Believe it or not, most people who do those degrees actually DO get a job at the end of it. Idiot.

If I want to be a Doctor, Lawyer, Accountant or Plumber I don't 'choose' to go to school I have to go to school

I sure did.

Your point?

I don't recall wanting that.

I'll admit I take whatever the government is offering, but I responsibly chose to have children at a point where I could reasonably finance their upbringing and don't care for the insinuation that that places me in same basket as those that demand handouts.

I'm not sure where people are getting this idea that only the wealthy will be able to attend university.

HECS will still apply so basically if you qualify you can still go to university.

And then when you graduate you can start paying back the loan given to you by the Australian people that enabled you to get the job that you wanted.

Assuming that you can walk straight from university into a well paying job. Otherwise you're sitting on a pile of debt that you have no way to pay back.

And even if you can, nobody wants to start their adult life sitting on a mountain of debt.

I'm not sure where people are getting this idea that only the wealthy will be able to attend university.

HECS will still apply so basically if you qualify you can still go to university.

And then when you graduate you can start paying back the loan given to you by the Australian people that enabled you to get the job that you wanted.

Assuming that you can walk straight from university into a well paying job. Otherwise you're sitting on a pile of debt that you have no way to pay back.

And even if you can, nobody wants to start their adult life sitting on a mountain of debt.

If I buy a massive house and I'm not sure if I can pay it back can I just do this?

964437-f00231ba-5e46-11e4-9c68-d403f5dcc

I sure did.

Your point?

I don't recall wanting that.

I'll admit I take whatever the government is offering, but I responsibly chose to have children at a point where I could reasonably finance their upbringing and don't care for the insinuation that that places me in same basket as those that demand handouts.

I wasn't going down that road. I wasn't implying you couldn't afford it or made the decision on a whim. It was around the matter of choice.

I just think it's unfair that such a massive burden is going to be placed on wanting to go to uni and having such a large financial burden on you at such a young age.

Part of the issue is that practically every job in the country pretty much demands you have a degree in their field and gaining experience through practice rather than study is non existent for any white collar job. So to some extent people don't have a choice sometimes to go to uni, but if they wanted to do the job they want they have to have a qualification whether they think it's beneficial to their career or not.

It used to be finish high school to get somewhere in life, now it's get a degree to make sure you get somewhere in life. Well that's what's being pushed through schools anyway.

Well said. It's not like Australia, as a country, benefits from having scientists. Or doctors, dentists, veterinarians, engineers, optometrists, lawyers, ...

I wasn't going down that road. I wasn't implying you couldn't afford it or made the decision on a whim. It was around the matter of choice.

I just think it's unfair that such a massive burden is going to be placed on wanting to go to uni and having such a large financial burden on you at such a young age.

Part of the issue is that practically every job in the country pretty much demands you have a degree in their field and gaining experience through practice rather than study is non existent for any white collar job. So to some extent people don't have a choice sometimes to go to uni, but if they wanted to do the job they want they have to have a qualification whether they think it's beneficial to their career or not.

Isn't this a contradiction?

Of course it's my choice to do what I want.

It's a contradiction because we offer a high standard of living in Australia. It's encouraged that you get the job you want and enjoy life as opposed to get any job you can to make sure you continue to live. Sometimes we are forced to choose option 2 but as a society I would've thought option 1 was best.

If you pick 7 words out of 2 paragraphs it stops making sense?

Yes. Well done I think?

Yes. Well done I think?

Did your university education teach you to have a go at me rather than what I'm saying?

Yes. Well done I think?

Did your university education teach you to have a go at me rather than what I'm saying?

Better post the same picture for the 9th time HURR HURR HURR.

And no, in the field of jerkism I am entirely self taught and self funded, thanks for asking.

I think everyone is missing the point.

The cost of university, either by HECS or by private fee, precludes most people from taking it on.

Even when I went to university finally in 2001 as a 25yo, I was paying for myself. Wouldn't have got in any other way. The $30000 I spent for a failed course after 2.5 years would have gone a long way back then..including being a decent deposit on a house.

However, to become a Librarian as I wanted to back then, i would have needed to do a Bachelor's Degree and then a Master's degree to get there. This is despite the fact I had spent the period 1994-1998 studying at TAFE to be a Library Technician. Incredibly, I couldn't even get RPL for that effort in the course.

I regret that period in my life. I really do.

Failing courses is a bad move? No way.

FWIW I would totally be for people only being able to do 1 undergrad degree on HECS. People who don't know what they want, need to figure it out before, rather than after.

Dunno how many there actually are of them though, I suspect not many.

No, you're just a deadshit troll.

Believe it or not, most people who do those degrees actually DO get a job at the end of it. Idiot.

Well said. It's not like Australia, as a country, benefits from having scientists. Or doctors, dentists, veterinarians, engineers, optometrists, lawyers, ...

Those professionals are also handsomly rewarded as well - for the next 30 or so years generally.

I think everyone is missing the point.

The cost of university, either by HECS or by private fee, precludes most people from taking it on.

Even when I went to university finally in 2001 as a 25yo, I was paying for myself. Wouldn't have got in any other way. The $30000 I spent for a failed course after 2.5 years would have gone a long way back then..including being a decent deposit on a house.

However, to become a Librarian as I wanted to back then, i would have needed to do a Bachelor's Degree and then a Master's degree to get there. This is despite the fact I had spent the period 1994-1998 studying at TAFE to be a Library Technician. Incredibly, I couldn't even get RPL for that effort in the course.

I regret that period in my life. I really do.

So are you asking me to subsidise you to fail a course?