Updating Blitz

I’ve asked this several times – but how attached are people to this particular forum software? The people that make it seem to treat development like a part time hobby and I’m sick of the constant crashing.

The last time we changed software was out of necessity over a year ago, but this time would be out of choice.

I had hoped by this month the #SorrySaga would be over and Blitz would calm down so I could try switching us to something else. On a scale of 1-10, how annoyed would you be if I could salvage all the posts and threads from this forum, but changed the software it’s running on?

the crashes are getting out of control and must be an extreme waste of your time. I'd support your making an executive decision on this (preferably with all posts being retained obviously). All us takers can just suck it the fark up.

The answer depends on what we move to…

The last 24-48 hours in particular, yeah.

The answer depends on what we move to...

At present, it's a toss up between Vanilla and Discourse.
This forum is just an updated version of decades-old forum software. Vanilla's much newer, and Discourse is not yet at version 1.0. Both much more modern platforms.

Not too fussed tbh. The crashes are getting ridiculous and must be a ■■■■■ for you guys to deal with.

Why is it crashing?

The answer depends on what we move to...

At present, it's a toss up between Vanilla and Discourse.
This forum is just an updated version of decades-old forum software. Vanilla's much newer, and Discourse is not yet at version 1.0. Both much more modern platforms.

the software is crappy.

not that i know ■■■■ about this sort of thing.

Why is it crashing?

While I'm not 100% sure, I've always assumed most of our problems stem from two things
1. Not enough server capacity, but this should be fixed and
2. The way I migrated old blitz into new blitz. I kinda brute-forced the old usernames and details into the version of the software in a way that is completely unsupported. The official response from Invision Power Board was "that shouldn't work"... I think some of the problems we have here (like group messages) stem from that.
Actually here's a third one, the old version of Blitz was running on a hacked version of the forum software so that made migrating to this licenced version ... problematic.

surely you should be a 3 star admin general by now.

Whatever makes it easier for Riolio, we’ll just deal with.

As long as the colours are red and black, I couldn’t care less.

Don’t forget to back up.

I'm cool with it.

No attachment to the setup here and I hate the crashing.

For some reason Blitz is using stacks of memory at the moment.

I'm fine with a software change but would dearly love all the posts and threads to be kept.... we have some real gold information in the ASAGA sub-forum now courtesy of Bruce and CJohns. Also love the pictures threads!!

I've asked this several times -- but how attached are people to this particular forum software? The people that make it seem to treat development like a part time hobby and I'm sick of the constant crashing.
The last time we changed software was out of necessity over a year ago, but this time would be out of choice.
I had hoped by this month the #SorrySaga would be over and Blitz would calm down so I could try switching us to something else. On a scale of 1-10, how annoyed would you be if I could salvage all the posts and threads from this forum, but changed the software it's running on?

not fussed as I genuinely trust your judgement for what makes the better user experience 

not fussed as I genuinely trust your judgement for what makes the better user experience

Your trust is as misplaced as those who think we're going to beat ASADA but I thank you.

How friggin’ sweet does Discourse look?!
https://meta.discourse.org

Is Vanilla the one that you switched to the night blitz died last year?

That one seemed to work well pretty well considering the number of people online.

Why is it crashing?

Because of Daytrippers posts in the Politics thread.

Is Vanilla the one that you switched to the night blitz died last year?
That one seemed to work well pretty well considering the number of people online.

Yeah, there was a Blitz vanilla forum running for a few hours at one point. It's what I have always wanted to switch to, and in hindsight wish we did back then instead of trying to get this upgrade to work...