US Death Penalty Policy

I don’t believe in the death penalty (we all have that) but I believe this man should be denied all the privileges of a civilised society until his death.

I don't believe in the death penalty (we all have that) but I believe this man should be denied all the privileges of a civilised society until his death.

Agree. As much as sometimes I wish it was available, I don't agree with it and don't think it should exist. The justice system is far from perfect (in any country, not just the US) and the death penalty, once administered, cannot be undone.

I support the death penalty in all cases where death and extreme violence is proved. Paedofile priests would be the first on my list.

I remember when my Sons first love died of a drug overdose; he was angry and full of revenge, but he said that all drug dealers and drug users should be rounded up and sent to a deserted barren island and made to fend for themselves or die, as they should not be part of our society.

Maybe he had a point.

I always think of this song when the topic is raised: (NSFW lyrics)

http://youtu.be/DDvLSKQ8lG4

I am pretty much against the death penalty, but the line "What's one more flush down humanity's drain if it cures a victim's loved one's pain?" makes me think that is a lot easier position for me to hold as I have never felt the pain or anger of having had someone I loved murdered.

Governor Newsom of my state of California has put a moratorium on executions (temporarily at least). There are 730+ inmates awaiting execution in California.

Personally don’t support it for this reason alone

2 Likes

Not really. Darkies are a menace.

There is a great Waleed Aly article on crime and punishment. https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/this-is-why-we-don-t-leave-justice-in-the-hands-of-victims-20190314-p5143p.html

Also got me thinking…

Does it make a crime any less worse if a victim moves on from the consequences of it quickly? I don’t think it does, but conversely if a victims entire life is affected, one does this its an even worse crime.

Even when say the same bad deed is done.